Woo Audio WA7TP (tube power supply) Impressions Thread
Dec 15, 2015 at 6:46 PM Post #1,021 of 1,117
  For my WA7/WA7tp I ended up going with Woo selected RCA Clear Tops and Mullard 4003s from Upscale Audio. I find myself always going back to the Clear Tops for their crispness, detail, and greater 'live' feel, at least to my ears. But what I really want are tops that would combine qualities of both- the just mentioned qualities of the clear tops, along with the smoothness and better bass of the Mullards.

Any suggestions on a set of tubes I haven't tried? Or is that bigger sound actually more an indication of moving up to the WA5? Thanks.

​5814 will give a "bigger" sound or for even bigger go for 6350 plus adapters
If 6350 is still not big enough upgrade is the only option

Dec 15, 2015 at 8:16 PM Post #1,023 of 1,117

Quote:

Pardon my ignorance, what adaptors would I need, and particular suggestions on where to buy.thanks!

​This is Ebay US

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pc-gold-plated-RCA-6350-TO-12AU7-ECC82-tube-converter-adapter-/201407638722?hash=item2ee4d4acc2:g:aoIAAOSwhcJWFhf0

Search 6350 to 12au7 on your local Ebay if that does not work

I have tried most of the 12au7 varieties and the 6350 beats them all by a good margin , it does alter the aesthetic a bit

Dec 15, 2015 at 9:03 PM Post #1,024 of 1,117
  ​This is Ebay US

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pc-gold-plated-RCA-6350-TO-12AU7-ECC82-tube-converter-adapter-/201407638722?hash=item2ee4d4acc2:g:aoIAAOSwhcJWFhf0

I have tried most of the 12au7 varieties and the 6350 beats them all by a good margin , it does alter the aesthetic a bit

Thanks Dogmatrix. Will the glass top still fit over the top of the WA7tp? cheers-

Dec 16, 2015 at 3:25 PM Post #1,026 of 1,117
   Yes the glass fits no problem but the tubes stick out the top a little and the adapters cover the led so you only get the natural tube glow
I think the sound is worth it though

Just want to make double sure- you're talking about adaptor and tubes for the WA7tp power supply and not the amp/DAC, yes? 

Better safe than sorry! Thanks-

Dec 16, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #1,027 of 1,117

Just want to make double sure- you're talking about adaptor and tubes for the WA7tp power supply and not the amp/DAC, yes? 

Better safe than sorry! Thanks-

Good plan
Yes 6350 and adapters for Wa7tp power supply
Only 6c45 for the amp/dac although I think there is a Western Electric WE437a tube compatible with adapters but they are crazy expensive and less powerful 

Dec 17, 2015 at 2:30 PM Post #1,028 of 1,117
  ​This is Ebay US

Do you have a recommendation for which 6350 to purchase? At tube world they're saying Sylvania black plate first, then GE then RCA.
Any suggestions on which particular 6350 and where to buy appreciated!
Also, have you compared the 6350 to the Mulllards or RCA Clear Tops? Many thanks, Dogmatrix!

Dec 17, 2015 at 5:46 PM Post #1,029 of 1,117

Do you have a recommendation for which 6350 to purchase? At tube world they're saying Sylvania black plate first, then GE then RCA.
Any suggestions on which particular 6350 and where to buy appreciated!
Also, have you compared the 6350 to the Mulllards or RCA Clear Tops? Many thanks, Dogmatrix!

My research concurs with Tube World but they are talking about a completely different application to the Wa7tp . My tubes are Sylvania branded RCA and I am happy with them . Were I looking to buy now I would probably go for the nos pair of GE five stars on Ebay . Early Sylvania are on my hunt list but are proving difficult to find .

Having a quick dig through the tube box to refresh memory , I found

Mullard CV4003 "box plate" I have the domestic M8136 version , certainly one of the best all rounders great midrange
RCA 12au7 "clear top" I have a 1959 pair , excellent clarity and detail

A couple of exotics that I thought bested the Mullard and RCA

Mazda 12au7 silver slotted plates , wide open sound stage and amazing detail
Ten 12au7 from Japan , super lush classic tube presentation with solid bass

My favourites of the easier to find affordable tubes

GE Mobile Radio 6680 , good at everything
CBS Hytron JHY-5814a , found a nos mint pair from 1956 gave the best performance from the  Wa7 overall powerful clear and open

6350 beats them all however , I think it is just a better rectifier the presentation is more powerful and at the same time effortless . Like my old Wa7 had a restrictor on it the 6350 opens everything up to full throttle

Dec 17, 2015 at 7:32 PM Post #1,030 of 1,117
  My research concurs with Tube World but they are talking about a completely different application to the Wa7tp . My tubes are Sylvania branded RCA and I am happy with them . Were I looking to buy now I would probably go for the nos pair of GE five stars on Ebay . Early Sylvania are on my hunt list but are proving difficult to find .

Having a quick dig through the tube box to refresh memory , I found

Mullard CV4003 "box plate" I have the domestic M8136 version , certainly one of the best all rounders great midrange
RCA 12au7 "clear top" I have a 1959 pair , excellent clarity and detail

A couple of exotics that I thought bested the Mullard and RCA

Mazda 12au7 silver slotted plates , wide open sound stage and amazing detail
Ten 12au7 from Japan , super lush classic tube presentation with solid bass

My favourites of the easier to find affordable tubes

GE Mobile Radio 6680 , good at everything
CBS Hytron JHY-5814a , found a nos mint pair from 1956 gave the best performance from the  Wa7 overall powerful clear and open

6350 beats them all however , I think it is just a better rectifier the presentation is more powerful and at the same time effortless . Like my old Wa7 had a restrictor on it the 6350 opens everything up to full throttle

Thanks Dog, for all the great advice. Just ordered a pair of the GE 5 star. Hopefully it'll all work and add new sound potential to my system! cheers-

Dec 22, 2015 at 7:28 PM Post #1,031 of 1,117
Hey Dogmatrix- 
Well I owe ya! Just received the GE 5 Stars 12AU7 tubes and the adaptors to use them on the WA7tp. Too soon to say for certain, but it sure seems incredible at first listen! So far I prefer these tubes to the RCA Clear Tops from Woo Audio, which are, indeed, fantastic. 

The Clear Tops are perhaps a touch more detailed in the highs, but as you stated, there seems to be so much more overall, especially the tightness in the bass. Wow.

I also just received my Double Helix Comp 4 cable, so that is a BIG new sound- combining the cable, the tubes, and my LCD-X. Many thanks for assisting in The Quest!

Dec 22, 2015 at 10:40 PM Post #1,032 of 1,117
  Hey Dogmatrix- 
Well I owe ya! Just received the GE 5 Stars 12AU7 tubes and the adaptors to use them on the WA7tp. Too soon to say for certain, but it sure seems incredible at first listen! So far I prefer these tubes to the RCA Clear Tops from Woo Audio, which are, indeed, fantastic. 

The Clear Tops are perhaps a touch more detailed in the highs, but as you stated, there seems to be so much more overall, especially the tightness in the bass. Wow.

I also just received my Double Helix Comp 4 cable, so that is a BIG new sound- combining the cable, the tubes, and my LCD-X. Many thanks for assisting in The Quest!

​Great to hear it is working out for you , always a bit of a worry when I advise someone
I run the HE500 most of the time so I know the Wa7 can work well with planars
You said "GE 5 Stars 12AU7 tubes" did you mean 6350 ?

Dec 22, 2015 at 11:08 PM Post #1,034 of 1,117
  yes, DM, the 6350 tubes you recommended. Perhaps a bit grainy on the high end? But just started listening. Love em. thanks again.

​Probably need a few hours to settle in , might improve . My high end seems smooth but I don't think the HE500 is as resolving as the LCD X
You can also try different 6c45 tubes in the Wa7 proper I found the vintage Reflector version the most mellow

Dec 23, 2015 at 1:51 AM Post #1,035 of 1,117
  ​Probably need a few hours to settle in , might improve . My high end seems smooth but I don't think the HE500 is as resolving as the LCD X
You can also try different 6c45 tubes in the Wa7 proper I found the vintage Reflector version the most mellow

All in all, huge improvement. Seems like I need to set the volume a touch higher compared to the Clear Tops. But a much fuller sound, i'm happy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back