Woo Audio WA7TP (tube power supply) Impressions Thread
Feb 4, 2015 at 1:52 AM Post #558 of 1,118
  How long did it take for your tubes to ship from upscale audio?  My order still says awaiting fulfillment from 2 days ago/

usually when I place an order it only takes 3 -5 days & it's at my door..

Feb 5, 2015 at 3:03 AM Post #560 of 1,118
Just received Mullard tubes for the tp, platinum grade, cryo treated. I have no point of comparison to the other options (gold, no cryo) so cannot say if it changes anything. Went for the 'pour a bit more money just in case' stupidity syndrome. In the end the sound is incredible.

Feb 5, 2015 at 10:16 AM Post #562 of 1,118
I used Deox red to clean and then gold for the gold pins.  It did a good job of removing oxidation from the NOS Mullard pins but to be honest they came practically like new and needed very little cleaning.

Feb 5, 2015 at 8:37 PM Post #566 of 1,118
  Did you guys get the tubes cryogenically treated?

I have not tried the cryo treated yet but soon I'm getting a pair just to see if there's a difference,I'll let you know when I get them..

Feb 6, 2015 at 12:19 AM Post #567 of 1,118
I consider to buy WA7tp. And need some advise from users. How much it will improve from standard power supply, in case that I use its stock tube for WA7tp?
Which area does it make an improvement (sound stage, clarity, details, bass, mid, high)?

I have no idea about tube, and when I search in ebay, I found thousand of tubes and not know which good which bad. Noted that I live in Asia, and not comfortable to order tube from on line store in US.

Thank you for any comment. And will be more appreciate if anyone can recommend 12AU7 tube on Ebay with good performance

Feb 6, 2015 at 1:07 AM Post #568 of 1,118
  I consider to buy WA7tp. And need some advise from users. How much it will improve from standard power supply, in case that I use its stock tube for WA7tp?
Which area does it make an improvement (sound stage, clarity, details, bass, mid, high)?

I have no idea about tube, and when I search in ebay, I found thousand of tubes and not know which good which bad. Noted that I live in Asia, and not comfortable to order tube from on line store in US.

Thank you for any comment. And will be more appreciate if anyone can recommend 12AU7 tube on Ebay with good performance

It will improve the quality in all areas you mentioned plus it will give you the added benefit of tube rolling which lets you customize the sound the way you like. It is well worth the added cost, Just a few different tubes will make all the difference..  ( Lol -->I live in Asia, and not comfortable to order tube from on line store in US. funny but I understand)..

Feb 6, 2015 at 6:00 PM Post #569 of 1,118
I have been slowly rolling back and forth between stock Woo Select tubes and subs working on a big comparison post , came across something special so I will do a quick summary

Raytheon 12au7 long gloss black plates , nothing special and four out of five threw an arc would rate as a downgrade from stock

Philips Mini Watt 12au7 , nice tube very clean clear sound but only marginal upgrade from stock

GE Mobile Radio 6680/12au7a , this one was the big surprise big lift in weight and the most articulate bass I have heard so far . Compared to the Sylvania 5814a it has even more punch which extends across the full range . Highly recommended , can be tricky to find the Mobile Radio version but they are cheap (I paid $50 Au for a sleeve of five nos inc shipping)

So far in order of preference

GE Mobile Radio 6680/12au7
Mazda E82cc (silver slotted plate)
RCA 12au7 (clear top)
Sylvania 5814A
Woo Select 12au7 (stock)
Philips Mini Watt 12au7
Super Radiotron 12au7
GE JG 5814A
Raytheon 12au7

I have a pair of Mullard CV4003 (box plate) on the way and will post my full comparison once they have been assessed

Feb 6, 2015 at 8:09 PM Post #570 of 1,118
@Dogmatrix  nice to see our stock tubes compares well.  
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back