Woo Audio WA7TP (tube power supply) Impressions Thread
Mar 24, 2015 at 8:05 PM Post #721 of 1,117
  So I went ahead and bought a matched pair of Mullard CV4003's from the eBay listing posted a page or two back...

WOW. 

This has to be the most significant tube upgrade I've ever made; Very rangy and smooth, with a nice punchy bottom and lower mids..

Thank you very much @abvolt for the recommendation!

They're definitely my favorite as well.  Glad that you're enjoying them!

Mar 24, 2015 at 9:50 PM Post #722 of 1,117
cool glad to hear you like, there my favorites also..

Mar 24, 2015 at 10:00 PM Post #723 of 1,117
It seem that I should buy Mullard from @abvolt's link.

I want to get my EL-8 first before buy the fourth pair of tube. But also want to try it now. Too bad that my EL-8 is likely to be shipped to Asia in next month. wait and wait
frown.gif

Mar 24, 2015 at 10:24 PM Post #724 of 1,117
  It seem that I should buy Mullard from @abvolt's link.

I want to get my EL-8 first before buy the fourth pair of tube. But also want to try it now. Too bad that my EL-8 is likely to be shipped to Asia in next month. wait and wait
frown.gif

I agree on putting off buying more tubes for now only because I'm interested in your thoughts on the EL-8's, they should be really fun cans..

Mar 28, 2015 at 8:10 PM Post #725 of 1,117
i like the EH tubes more on my WA7, so if i want more Dynamic with the Treble and Bass then which Tube for the WA7tp should i go for? 

and thanks for the info ^^ 

Mar 28, 2015 at 8:27 PM Post #726 of 1,117
  i like the EH tubes more on my WA7, so if i want more Dynamic with the Treble and Bass then which Tube for the WA7tp should i go for? 

and thanks for the info ^^ 

I think the Mullard CV4003 / M8136  "box plate" tube would fit the bill
I have rolled more than half a dozen varieties over the last few months and while some give better performance in particular points of the spectrum the Mullard is king

Mar 28, 2015 at 11:03 PM Post #727 of 1,117

I think the Mullard CV4003 / M8136  "box plate" tube would fit the bill
I have rolled more than half a dozen varieties over the last few months and while some give better performance in particular points of the spectrum the Mullard is king

+1
Agree the CV4003 is my favorite also but the cost on the mullards are getting way too high, other variants like the RCA 5814A black plates are awesome sounding, I don't really like the clear tops much. 

Mar 29, 2015 at 3:54 AM Post #728 of 1,117

+1
Agree the CV4003 is my favorite also but the cost on the mullards are getting way too high, other variants like the RCA 5814A black plates are awesome sounding, I don't really like the clear tops much. 

I would personally recommend new owners start with a small selection of tubes perhaps those talked about here or maybe just buy something at random and see how it goes
Experience is important particularly if the owner is looking to tune the sound in a specific direction
Cheap tubes that turn out to sound the way you like always give the greatest satisfaction
In my own experience I really like the bass delivery of the 6680 but the detail with the Ten 12au7 is also excellent
Enter the Mullard the bass is not as good as the 6680 and the detail not a match for the Ten but across the spectrum the Mullard is superior more of a complete package
Value is hard to quantify the 6680 cost $5 each and the Ten $20 each and many great tubes including the RCA 5814 can be found for under $20
However I think for those not really interested in tube rolling who just want the WA7 at its best the Mullard is close to "end game" and worth the price
Now we just need someone to try some Telefunken ECC802S , hang on to your wallet
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 29, 2015 at 10:08 PM Post #729 of 1,117

I would personally recommend new owners start with a small selection of tubes perhaps those talked about here or maybe just buy something at random and see how it goes
Experience is important particularly if the owner is looking to tune the sound in a specific direction
Cheap tubes that turn out to sound the way you like always give the greatest satisfaction
In my own experience I really like the bass delivery of the 6680 but the detail with the Ten 12au7 is also excellent
Enter the Mullard the bass is not as good as the 6680 and the detail not a match for the Ten but across the spectrum the Mullard is superior more of a complete package
Value is hard to quantify the 6680 cost $5 each and the Ten $20 each and many great tubes including the RCA 5814 can be found for under $20
However I think for those not really interested in tube rolling who just want the WA7 at its best the Mullard is close to "end game" and worth the price
Now we just need someone to try some Telefunken ECC802S , hang on to your wallet
evil_smiley.gif

I agree, well said Dogmatrix lower cost tubes often do produce great sound also, and it's sure fun finding out which ones works best..

Apr 6, 2015 at 8:10 PM Post #730 of 1,117
Thinking of trying a matched pair of JJ Tesla 12AU7/ECC82's tubes off ebay anyone try them, really good price..

Apr 8, 2015 at 5:11 AM Post #731 of 1,117
Getting bored with my Slyvania JANS. Suggestions? 

Apr 8, 2015 at 9:10 PM Post #733 of 1,117
I agree the mullards are worth a try if you haven't already.  Also I really like the RCA 12AU7 black plates. I've found the mullards on ebay for about half the cost others sell them for, just a thought for you.. 

Apr 9, 2015 at 4:02 AM Post #734 of 1,117
Dang they have quite the price don't they! 

Apr 10, 2015 at 7:27 AM Post #735 of 1,117
  Dang they have quite the price don't they! 

Fudgebucket, I think you have received some great advice here from the seasoned Wa7 tube-rollers.   I would like to re-emphasise what Dogmatrix has rightly said about how important it is to think about what direction you would like to take the sound as well as what will offer the best synergy with your headphones and your DAC.

I'm still working on quite a long WA7 Dac shoot-out comparison as well as a  tube-rolling comparison for the WA7tp.  How well a tube performs is so dependent on your own tastes as well as the sound signature of the rest of your equipment.  

I'm clearly in the minority here and It's early days but so far the Mullard CV4003s would definitely not be at the top of the list for my ears.  At the $40 each I paid for mine via Ebay I think they are are a good proposition but then again only IF the sound signature is to your tastes.  Via other online retailers they are going for near $100 dollars each and at that price I'm not onboard the Mullard-train yet.   I need to do further listening and comparisons. 

Anyone else not quite digging the CV4003s? 

All the best,

Jeb  

EDIT:  the mullards are growing on me.  They needed a bit of time.  Looks like I might be on that mullard-train after all. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back