Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice
Oct 19, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #976 of 4,839
oh ok. its a metal base GZ34 then or the black base one?

just making sure it wasn't some mystery tube thats super rare or anything like that
biggrin.gif
 even though the amperex gz34 is already a rare tube! 

Oct 19, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #977 of 4,839
Yes, it's a black plastic base GZ34. I've looked all over the web and the F30 1957 code is next to impossible to locate. Boy, don't I wish it was a metal base GZ32, now that would be something
wink_face.gif

Thanks for your input on the Brimar 5R4GY. I understand it also has a expansive soundstage and a solid low end which will be great for large orchestral works. Speaking of date codes, the Brimars are a strange kettle of fish when it comes to dating their tubes, at least their consumer line. The military tubes code can be determined, but like the Philips code, their 3 digit date code found on the top of the tube ( if still there ) can mean fifties or sixties.

My RCA 6FD7 signal tubes are the 1969 vintage. Hoping to score some black plate top getter Sylvanias from early sixties. One plus on having to use the tube socket savers to allow fat bottles with the older WA6 is it puts the heat away from the socket and chassis by some distance, always a good thing. I really like what the 6FD7 does for the HD600 in terms of the midrange and bass vs the 6DE7. The Tung-Sol 5U4G rectifier provides a pretty decent even handed smoothness with a very precise midrange and just enough current sag to provide a touch of tube warmth. Sounds pretty good with the Denon 7000's also.  

I had a Cayin HA-1A amp for a few years and the Woo Audio WA6 has much better dynamics and clarity. I'm very happy with it for it's price. Likely I will working my way up the line in years to come
L3000.gif

Oct 19, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #978 of 4,839
upgrade to the WA6-SE, its incredibly good! especially for the 600/650s and the denon/fostex series.

Oct 22, 2013 at 1:42 PM Post #979 of 4,839
  upgrade to the WA6-SE, its incredibly good! especially for the 600/650s and the denon/fostex series.

It is probably buried in this thread somewhere, what tube combos would you recommend to the HD 800?

Oct 22, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #980 of 4,839
596 and 6gl7, sophia and 6fd7, sophia and 6ew7, eml and 6fd7, umm theres a few others that are good but those will get u started.

Sophia and 6ew7 or 6fd7 cant go wrong though. Eml tube is nice as well with hd 800.

Oct 22, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #981 of 4,839
596 and 6gl7, sophia and 6fd7, sophia and 6ew7, eml and 6fd7, umm theres a few others that are good but those will get u started.

Sophia and 6ew7 or 6fd7 cant go wrong though. Eml tube is nice as well with hd 800.

Thanks, I have the Sofia, and currently use the fat bottle 6FD7. I tried the stock 6EW7 and thought the soundstage a bit constrained and a narrow dynamic range. Perhaps more burn in is needed. I like the 6DR7 as well but prefer the FD7's.

Oct 22, 2013 at 3:02 PM Post #982 of 4,839
6fd7 is most balanced tube available.

I thought 6ew7 had a good soundstage and nice smooth south, but it is slow,weaker inbass, and lacks prat/dynamics. I liked 6ew7 with sophia and brighter headphones.

6dr7 is nice not great bass but warm 3d sounding and good soundstage

U probably wont like 6de7

Oct 24, 2013 at 6:01 AM Post #983 of 4,839
  Hello WA6ers.  After reading this entire thread, I think I'll finally post.  I have a non SE WA6, currently with stock tubes paired with middling HD595 phones and a middling DACMagic dac, and a very decent Clearaudio Emotion SE TT.  I'm looking to upgrade tubes and cans.  It looks like HD650, T1, LCD-2 can match well with this amp, and I will probably get one of those eventually, but I am also looking for a closed headphone so I can enjoy in my living room while others watch TV.  Any recs in addition to Fostex TH900, which may be too $$$ for me?  TH600?  I mostly listen to indie rock, electronic, and classical.  I also just found out that I have some moderate hearing loss in the upper voice register range (I'm only 30! Why did it feel so good to stick my head in front of speakers when I was a kid?!) and am sensitive to harshness and brightness....

As far as tubes go, I think I'm going to try out an assortment of cheap versions of the power tubes most listed on this thread: 6FD7, 6EM7, 6DE7, 6GL7 and a 5r4gys rectifier to start with.  Anyway, hopefully this thread hasn't died with DubstepGirl ousting her WA6SE.  I'm just getting started! 

If you're sensitive to brightness and harshness I would personally advice against both T1 and TH900, both of which I have owned but sold due to their intense brightness on louder volumes. Yes, I have WA6-SE and tried them both on that with many different tubes, but to no avail. If you're like me and sensitive to those cans the best solution is to use an equalizer. I did that on TH-900 and it helped vastly. However, I did not use equalizer when I had T1, hence I contemplate getting T1 again to play with EQ as they are formidable in most respects, but their brightness kills it for me. Also, I agree with consensus that WA2 is a better amp for T1 than WA6-SE is. I also have WA2.

Since you're sensitive to brightness both HD 650 and LCD-2 are good picks. I still own both of them and they will not be sold.

PS: 1) I got some flame for saying that I found TH900 bright in the TH900 thread so there doesn't seem to be a lot of people who agree with me. 2) I think that people who are sensitive to brightness may be sensitive to different frequency intervals, so just because one person who is sensitive to brightness says something is bright, does not mean that another person who is sensitive will necessarily have the same result.

Oct 24, 2013 at 7:14 AM Post #984 of 4,839
+1

WA2 is a much better amp for T1, though TH900 isn't really that bright and pairs well with WA6-SE, i found it warmer than T1 and less fatiguing. of course if you're treble sensitive, you should stick to headphones like audeze, hifiman, and the sennheiser 600/650.

Oct 24, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #985 of 4,839
I've had my eye (ear?) on the WA6-SE for a while. I'm planning to mainly use it with my LCD-2s and my 14 year old HD-600s. I plan to get HD-800s at some point in the future. I have zero interest in tube rolling; I don't have the time or patience.  I've heard the amp with the LCD-2s several times at shows and really like the combo. So, am I making a mistake getting the WA6-SE for these headphones with no intention of changing the tubes? I will buy the best tubes that Woo offers. 

Oct 24, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #986 of 4,839
  I've had my eye (ear?) on the WA6-SE for a while. I'm planning to mainly use it with my LCD-2s and my 14 year old HD-600s. I plan to get HD-800s at some point in the future. I have zero interest in tube rolling; I don't have the time or patience.  I've heard the amp with the LCD-2s several times at shows and really like the combo. So, am I making a mistake getting the WA6-SE for these headphones with no intention of changing the tubes? I will buy the best tubes that Woo offers. 

If you are planning on using the 'best' tubes Woo offers (6GL7/6EM7 + 596 [if available]) will do just fine.

Oct 24, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #987 of 4,839
596 with 6fd7 would be best cause 6gl7 might be too much for hd 600.

Anyways the wa6-se is very good with 300 ohm sennheisers as well as audeze lcd-2. I dont think u will need to tube roll. The 596 and 6fd7 or 6gl7 will be great. If you cant find a 596, the sophia with those tubes is also ok. A little warmer and not as defined, but good enough.

Oct 25, 2013 at 9:24 AM Post #989 of 4,839

If you're sensitive to brightness and harshness I would personally advice against both T1 and TH900, both of which I have owned but sold due to their intense brightness on louder volumes. Yes, I have WA6-SE and tried them both on that with many different tubes, but to no avail. If you're like me and sensitive to those cans the best solution is to use an equalizer. I did that on TH-900 and it helped vastly. However, I did not use equalizer when I had T1, hence I contemplate getting T1 again to play with EQ as they are formidable in most respects, but their brightness kills it for me. Also, I agree with consensus that WA2 is a better amp for T1 than WA6-SE is. I also have WA2.

Since you're sensitive to brightness both HD 650 and LCD-2 are good picks. I still own both of them and they will not be sold.

PS: 1) I got some flame for saying that I found TH900 bright in the TH900 thread so there doesn't seem to be a lot of people who agree with me. 2) I think that people who are sensitive to brightness may be sensitive to different frequency intervals, so just because one person who is sensitive to brightness says something is bright, does not mean that another person who is sensitive will necessarily have the same result.

Thanks for the input.  I've been looking at the HD 650 and LCD-2 as open-ear upgrades to my HD 595s.  I wish the TH900 were more widely available for trial because I think you are right about specific frequency related brightness sensitivity.  Some speakers and headphones that are "bright" don't bother me and some do.

Also, for those using equalizers, are using software equalizers in your media player or a physical unit?

+1

WA2 is a much better amp for T1, though TH900 isn't really that bright and pairs well with WA6-SE, i found it warmer than T1 and less fatiguing. of course if you're treble sensitive, you should stick to headphones like audeze, hifiman, and the sennheiser 600/650.

It looks like earlier posts indicate that HE-500 doesn't play well (or as well compared to 600/650 and LCD-2) with WA6.  I wonder if this is still the case with upgraded tubes?

Oct 25, 2013 at 9:43 AM Post #990 of 4,839
Yes, i dont think the wa6 can even get half a watt into the he-500s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back