Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice
Aug 29, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #932 of 4,839
Quote:

I had a fair bit of noise with that combination - never liked it with any of my headphones.

Pairing the 6gl7s with a USAF-596 eliminated the noise and is my favorite tube combo with LCD3s

+1

6GL7 and 596 for punchy and fun, 6FD7 and 596 for a more neutral SS kinda sound.

sophia + 6gl7 seems to be too congested and muddy especially with the bloaty bass. both are pretty bassy tubes, so combined, its pretty bad.

btw it seems u have ps1000, whats your favorite tube combo? i find them awfully bright and grainy regardless of what i use.

Aug 29, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #933 of 4,839
Quote:

+1

6GL7 and 596 for punchy and fun, 6FD7 and 596 for a more neutral SS kinda sound.

sophia + 6gl7 seems to be too congested and muddy especially with the bloaty bass. both are pretty bassy tubes, so combined, its pretty bad.

btw it seems u have ps1000, whats your favorite tube combo? i find them awfully bright and grainy regardless of what i use.

So what does the Sophia go with? I put the stock power tubes back in and got rid of 
a good percentage of the noise. I did not experience a bloaty bass however the bass was
not well defined. By the way I am using a tube phono preamp and I am going to explore the 
tube situation there. With my speaker system it was quiet but headphones are a different cat. 
Got a love solving problems to stay with tubes.

Aug 29, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #934 of 4,839
Quote:
So what does the Sophia go with? I put the stock power tubes back in and got rid of 
a good percentage of the noise. I did not experience a bloaty bass however the bass was
not well defined. By the way I am using a tube phono preamp and I am going to explore the 
tube situation there. With my speaker system it was quiet but headphones are a different cat. 

not sure. i used sophia and 6EW7 and really liked it, though bass wasn't its strong point. it was very forgiving and had little noise.

the WA6-SE unfortunately is not free of noise, this is one of its only real issues, u don't hear it when musics playing though, only when nothing is playing, and usually for me at least, the volume knob would be past the listening level i use, in other words, incredibly loud since i already listen pretty loud.

see if theres no interference by ur amp. either from the wall outlet, or if you're near a computer or something (try cupping your hands around the rectifier see if that helps, my sophia would pick up noise if i put it too close to my tv or my pc).

Aug 29, 2013 at 8:41 PM Post #935 of 4,839
Quote:

Have you tried a mullard 5ar4?

Aug 30, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #936 of 4,839
Quote:

+1

My favorite tube combo was the sophia and the 6EW7s that came with the unit, but until recently, most of my time has been spent with LCD3s due to the frustration of constantly having to readjust the ear pieces due to the slipping rods on the Grados.

Thanks to your link to locking collars and a whopping $2 investment, I'm listening to the PS1000s more frequently.  I've gotten many tubes in the interim and hope to spend some quality time tube rolling with the PS1000s this weekend to see if I can find a better combo.  I'm also looking for something that will take the edge off the treble.  Love the soundstage of the PS1000s and the reproduction of electric bass but find the brightness forces me to reduce the volume and that only makes the recessed mids more obvious.

Aug 30, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #937 of 4,839
My favorite tube combo was the sophia and the 6EW7s that came with the unit, but until recently, most of my time has been spent with LCD3s due to the frustration of constantly having to readjust the ear pieces due to the slipping rods on the Grados.

Thanks to your link to locking collars and a whopping $2 investment, I'm listening to the PS1000s more frequently.  I've gotten many tubes in the interim and hope to spend some quality time tube rolling with the PS1000s this weekend to see if I can find a better combo.  I'm also looking for something that will take the edge off the treble.  Love the soundstage of the PS1000s and the reproduction of electric bass but find the brightness forces me to reduce the volume and that only makes the recessed mids more obvious.

Im still considering returning mine and buying RS1i again or just keeping the money for other things and use the beyerdynamic t1 still for rock and whatever music grados are usually good in. The ps1000 are definitely not rockers like the rs1i, they get too bright way too easily. And i feel like theres a lack of presence in the mids, like im just not hearing the same resolutuon as in my other headphones.

Sep 12, 2013 at 1:45 AM Post #938 of 4,839
Have you guys tried out the hi/low headphone plugs on the amp to see which sounds better for a particular headphone?  I was surprised to find the HT900 and LCD3 sounded really nice on the high plug.        

Sep 12, 2013 at 1:50 AM Post #939 of 4,839
I think they sound pretty similar, i use th 900 on both but been using more on low

Sep 13, 2013 at 5:23 AM Post #941 of 4,839
right now TH-900 i think, the denon series has great synergy with the WA6-SE. 

also out of all my headphones i've tried on the WA6-SE. my favorite most musical pairings have been the K701 and HD 650 (these just sounding absolutely amazing, yeah mid-fi sound, but great with WA6-SE). and also, the LCD-2. 

i think it'll be TH-900 and LCD-2. not saying LCD-3 cause though they sound great, i feel that the LCD-3 scale higher and could use an even better amp like the GSX2, i'll find out tomorrow and see how it compares to WA6-SE. so far though, i feel LCD-2 paired better with WA6SE and would be one of my preferred listens on the WA6-SE.

the HD 800 are also nice on the WA6-SE, huge soundstage and a very dynamic and detailed sound.

Sep 19, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #942 of 4,839
Hello Forum!
Purchased used WA6-SE in new condition with stock tubes (NOS International Servicemaster 5AR4 and US RCA 6DE7)
I love the amp and sound with LCD-2 right out the box!!
However, HD-650 sound horrible. Very muddied and with no detail. Headphones by themselves sound great! I own Bottlehead Crack headphone amp. They sound great there.
I am trying to understand is it problem with the amp/tube or something else?

Sep 19, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #944 of 4,839
I ordered
Sophia Princess Mesh Plate 274B​
today, What
power tubes you think work best with LCD-2 and HD-650? Is​
1 matched pair of 6GL7/6EM7 plus one pair of 6GL7->6DE7 Teflon tube adapters from Woo site a good set of tubes?​

Sep 19, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #945 of 4,839
Not when combined with sophia. I think 6ew7 for hd 650 and 6fd7 for lcd-2 with sophia would be the way to go

Users who are viewing this thread

Back