Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice
Aug 11, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #886 of 4,839
Quote:
Guys, where is the best place to get some matched pair drive tubes? I think eBay may be the best place to get the rectifier tubes (already ordered some), but a matched pair 6 [EW/DR/FD/EM]7 is hard to come by on eBay. Already tried emailing major tube sellers like TubeWorld, TubeDepot, etc, but they didn't seem to have any in stock (well TubeWorld has some Sylvania 6EW7 but not the other I want).

6EM7: http://www.vacuumtubesinc.com/

Give Jim a call he has stuff that may not be on the website.

Aug 13, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #888 of 4,839
Aug 15, 2013 at 1:49 AM Post #890 of 4,839
Thanks everyone, for the info about the tubes.

Welcome to the club, rnadell. Too bad Woo no longer offers any internal upgrade option. I heard that a maxxed WA6SE is significantly superior to a stock one.

Aug 15, 2013 at 4:38 AM Post #891 of 4,839
Just bit the bullet and bought a Wa6, really happy with it so far. Would upgrading the stock 6dr7 driver tubes to 7n7s with tube adapters be viable or are there better options out there? I already have the sophia princess.

Aug 15, 2013 at 4:48 AM Post #892 of 4,839
Quote:
Just bit the bullet and bought a Wa6, really happy with it so far. Would upgrading the stock 6dr7 driver tubes to 7n7s with tube adapters be viable or are there better options out there? I already have the sophia princess.

7n7s aren't bad. They're a bit of an oddball tube though, because there aren't as many choices for them and sound a bit brighter than a tradition 6sn7.

I'd go with the 6sn7 adapters, then you can have lots of fun rolling the many well-established (and not too expensive) 6sn7 options. 

Aug 15, 2013 at 10:04 AM Post #893 of 4,839
Thanks for the welcome, I ordered the tube upgrade,6gl7 and sophia. Now the hard part is the wait. 
While I am waiting I have been contemplating headphones. Three are under consideration and I am wondering what all of you that are experienced think??? The LCD2, HE500 and the T1.
The T1 was highly recommended to me, I listened to the LCD2 when I purchased the amp and the HE500 was just a third choice. The comfort level of the LCD2 is an issue. I also listened to the HD800's and liked everything except the bright top end. I am currently using a pair of HD600 that are pleasant. 
What should I do first, tubes, cans ???? I am really trying to not spend to only loose on the resale as funds are not open ended. Thanks

Aug 15, 2013 at 1:56 PM Post #894 of 4,839
Quote:
Thanks for the welcome, I ordered the tube upgrade,6gl7 and sophia. Now the hard part is the wait. 
While I am waiting I have been contemplating headphones. Three are under consideration and I am wondering what all of you that are experienced think??? The LCD2, HE500 and the T1.
The T1 was highly recommended to me, I listened to the LCD2 when I purchased the amp and the HE500 was just a third choice. The comfort level of the LCD2 is an issue. I also listened to the HD800's and liked everything except the bright top end. I am currently using a pair of HD600 that are pleasant. 
What should I do first, tubes, cans ???? I am really trying to not spend to only loose on the resale as funds are not open ended. Thanks

I've bought 6GL7 and the Princess with the amp, and with my HD650+SAA Equinox, I don't like that combo (6GL7 + Princess). I think it's too congested and it's kinda like too much of everything. Soundstage also seemed to be closed in quite a bit. However, when swapped in the stock tubes ( in my case 6EW7, the amp sang beautifully with HD650). I think you will like 6EW7 + Princess with your HD600.

That's not to say 6GL7 is a bad tube. Dubstep Girl said she liked it with LCD2. I also had a chance to try a pair of LCD2 (Rev2) + Cardas Clear cable with 6GL7 + Princess/ Mullard GZ34, and I "love" this combo. I like the sound signature of Senn 600/650 and LCD2 with this cable and tubes is like the Senn on steroid (better in every single way). LCD2 + Cardas cable is my next thing to buy.

LCD3, BTW, is also great, but if I were to buy it, I would use it in a balanced setup to do it justice.

Aug 15, 2013 at 2:35 PM Post #895 of 4,839
Yeah 6ew7 better on hd 60. I like 6gl7 with 596 or gz34.

For the lcd-3 i prefer 6FD7 and 596 or sophia. Actually 6FD7 can be used instead of 6GL7 as well if you want a more neutral sound, the 6GL7 has more bass and a little warmer.

Aug 15, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #896 of 4,839
Quote:

I've bought 6GL7 and the Princess with the amp, and with my HD650+SAA Equinox, I don't like that combo (6GL7 + Princess). I think it's too congested and it's kinda like too much of everything. Soundstage also seemed to be closed in quite a bit. However, when swapped in the stock tubes ( in my case 6EW7, the amp sang beautifully with HD650). I think you will like 6EW7 + Princess with your HD600.

That's not to say 6GL7 is a bad tube. Dubstep Girl said she liked it with LCD2. I also had a chance to try a pair of LCD2 (Rev2) + Cardas Clear cable with 6GL7 + Princess/ Mullard GZ34, and I "love" this combo. I like the sound signature of Senn 600/650 and LCD2 with this cable and tubes is like the Senn on steroid (better in every single way). LCD2 + Cardas cable is my next thing to buy.

LCD3, BTW, is also great, but if I were to buy it, I would use it in a balanced setup to do it justice.

Is there a particular brand, vintage power tube to purchase? 
Thanks

Aug 15, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #897 of 4,839
Is there a particular brand, vintage power tube to purchase? 
Thanks

I dont think so, but ppl have a preference to sylvania, tung sol, and even rca sometimes.

Generally the older versions sound better,but theres not much selection with 6de7, 6ew7, 6fd7, etc tubes, the same kind will sound like another of its kind.

Aug 15, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #900 of 4,839
How long does it take for the GZ34 to sound as it should? From what you guys said, it seem to be quite good.

I've just got a used GZ34 (1960, Black Burn factory) it's in excellent condition. Being a used tube, I'm not sure if it even needs any break-in, (I also have no idea how long has the tube been on shelf).

In its first 1-3 hours, with RCA 6EW7, I think it sounds too thick and not as open as the Princess (which had around 70-100hrs on it when the comparison was made). I left the amp on overnight with music on as I also have to burn in the QB9 DSD, and in the morning with around 10 hrs on it, I think it's "a bit" more open but the mid is still too thick for my taste. I think the Princess is almost perfect for me, but it's a bit shy of bass, leaving me wanting a bit more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back