Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice
Jul 1, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #736 of 4,839
Quote:
Its a shame I no longer have access to an oscilloscope.

I think you're right though, the price of some DACs are scary high and they must adhere to the rule of diminishing returns as with everything else in our hobby :)

Back on subject.

My results for the "Potato Masher" are in.

For its price its a great tube however even with my HD650s I find it a touch bright and fatiguing but as a backup tube its a good one to have around.  The largest drawback is that it is ugly as all hell and makes my WA6 look horrible!  All of my listening was done with a set of GM 6EM7s and will test it again next week with a set of 6SN7s that I have that are not as bright to see if it sounds a little nicer.

Also, just received a great looking Sel Lorenz 1971 GZ32 to test out when I get home.  Will let you know how it goes.

oooh the 5R4WGA thing you mentioned earlier?  yeah doesn't look very good lol. 

Jul 2, 2013 at 12:52 AM Post #737 of 4,839
| received my 6FD7 and 6DE7's yesterday. Already loving the sound of both. Thanks a lot for the great tips I got here.

The 6FD7 seem to add some smoothness to the sound and have a nice clean bass that is deep but not at all overblown. I was able to listen to some guitar heavy music like Muse without it getting grating like before.

The 6DE7 are the ones I tried when I did a trial of the WA6 Se. If there is such a thing as a neutral sound I would say of all my tubes these are the most neutral without emphasis on either highs and lows. The soundstage (after only an hour of listening) seems to be bigger. The music seems more layered.

I also got the Burson DA-160 DAC on trial. The differecne with my Audiolab M-Dac seems small (they share the same chip). The Burson is perhaps a tiny bit smoother. This could dissapear if I would upgrade the power supply of my M-Dac. The Burson must have a massive one inside. It's very heavy. I will do another comparison today.

But I think my issues were more in the tubes I had (RCA 6ew7 and Philco 6GL7). The stock tubes were just very poor and the 6GL7 too powerful for my HD-600. I'm stocking these up in case I buy a LCD-2.

Jul 2, 2013 at 8:12 AM Post #739 of 4,839
Quote:
I also got the Burson DA-160 DAC on trial. The differecne with my Audiolab M-Dac seems small (they share the same chip). The Burson is perhaps a tiny bit smoother. This could dissapear if I would upgrade the power supply of my M-Dac. The Burson must have a massive one inside. It's very heavy. I will do another comparison today.

Just curious, did you get you WA6SE / Burson from the Singapore distributor D&A?

On a side note, just spoiled myself with a new HD800 and playing it around between the WA6SE and Burson Soloist and so far the combination I'm liking is GZ34 + 6EW7, sounds very neutral and not harsh as some have put the HD800 as.

Currently trying out the 6DR7 + Sophia combination on both the HD800 and LCD2, would definitely say the 6FD7 > 6DR7 in terms of bass slam section

Jul 2, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #740 of 4,839
Quote:
 The largest drawback is that it is ugly as all hell and makes my WA6 look horrible!  

I was hoping for an ugly picture.  No?

Jul 2, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #742 of 4,839
Just curious, did you get you WA6SE / Burson from the Singapore distributor D&A?

On a side note, just spoiled myself with a new HD800 and playing it around between the WA6SE and Burson Soloist and so far the combination I'm liking is GZ34 + 6EW7, sounds very neutral and not harsh as some have put the HD800 as.

Currently trying out the 6DR7 + Sophia combination on both the HD800 and LCD2, would definitely say the 6FD7 > 6DR7 in terms of bass slam section

ooh interesting, i never tried that combo before on hd 800. and yeah im not a huge fan of 6DR7.

Jul 2, 2013 at 6:54 PM Post #743 of 4,839
Quote:
I'm looking for a good pair of drive tubes, that goes well with the Sophia Princess 274B. Any recommendation? Thanks!

Hi, i have a heap of tubes for sale that will suit drop me a line as to what you are looking for, if it was me i would go Sylvania USA 6EW7 Black Plate or 6DE7 or 6DR7.

Jul 3, 2013 at 3:45 AM Post #746 of 4,839
Quote:

I did indeed. They are a great company I must say. Very passionate about the products they sell. They really want your ears to decide on what you buy. I think I must have tried half their product range by now. I first contacted them via e-mail dnaintl001@gmail.com.

I did some more comparisons between the Audiolab M-Dac and the Burson DAC. They are quite similar but the Burson seems slightly smoother. It's hard to tell if it rounds off the treble. I (and my wife who probably has a better perception than me) would say the the Burson does offer more instrument seperation and somehow a wider soundstage. It could be the superior power supply at play here.  If I would ever buy the Burson I would still keep the Audiolab. For some music it works better I feel like electronic music (like James Blake). On top of that I love the headphone out for regular use. The Woo is reserved for music listening.

Regarding the 6DF7. I can hear a little bit of noise if you turn up the volume but clearly less than with the 6GL7 tubes.

Finally I bought a new USB cable. The Formula 2 from Alpha design lab since it has better shielding than my previous ones. I have too many electronics in my listening environment. I think I will stop for now. The sound is great now and my wife will kill me if I get more new stuff.

Jul 3, 2013 at 7:08 AM Post #747 of 4,839
Sylvania 6SN7 Chrome Dome arrived in the post today!  Initial thoughts are the bass is awesome but will do some extensive listening over the next few days.

I have to stop buying tubes 
atsmile.gif

Jul 3, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #749 of 4,839
Quote:
Sylvania 6SN7 Chrome Dome arrived in the post today!  Initial thoughts are the bass is awesome but will do some extensive listening over the next few days.

I have to stop buying tubes 
atsmile.gif

I have the same Sylvania 6SN7 chrome domes and thought the bass slam was excellent with the 596.  Then I acquired some Sophia Electric 6SN7, put the Sylvanias to shame.  Immediately put the chrome domes back in the box...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back