Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice
Jun 28, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #721 of 4,839
Quote:
So my SE is finally on its way.. Shot Jack Wu an email to ask a question about my order and see why my return hadn't been processed and once again no response.. I'm getting a bit tired of the lack of customer service, especially since the units are so expensive and everyone always speaks so highly of Jack.. Has anyone run into this problem so consistently with woo audio?

Now that someone else is handling customer service it seems less responsive than before.

I ordered a headphone stand for my LCD3, and it arrived in a defective condition (pieces wouldn't screw together properly).  I contacted Woo Audio and got a response asking for pictures...which I gladly replied with.  After 4 days, still debating the customer service rep over email.  He doesn't want to give me return instructions.  First he asked me to try to fix it myself.  Then after requesting a full refund, they responded that they would just send me replacement parts.  Sheesh, what happened to "if you aren't happy with the product, return it in 20 days."  Definitely hesitant to purchase an amp now if that is how problems are managed.

Jun 28, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #722 of 4,839
Quote:

Now that someone else is handling customer service it seems less responsive than before.

I ordered a headphone stand for my LCD3, and it arrived in a defective condition (pieces wouldn't screw together properly).  I contacted Woo Audio and got a response asking for pictures...which I gladly replied with.  After 4 days, still debating the customer service rep over email.  He doesn't want to give me return instructions.  First he asked me to try to fix it myself.  Then after requesting a full refund, they responded that they would just send me replacement parts.  Sheesh, what happened to "if you aren't happy with the product, return it in 20 days."  Definitely hesitant to purchase an amp now if that is how problems are managed.

I thought Woo Audio is still a family business.  I ordered a 6SE last Jan. and Jack was the only one I talked with via emails.  We corresponded over 20 emails and I did not feel any "unappreciated" attitude at all.  I assume that Jack may be on travel somewhere that was why he was late with the help.  And perhaps, he may be really busy (it took 1 month for me to get the amp), or may be he is helping other 20 or so ppl with the same problem as you do.  So give him some slack...     

I always have appreciations for small businesses like this which make this hobby great!    

Jun 28, 2013 at 6:13 PM Post #724 of 4,839
i thought its just jack and his family that run the whole company.

Jun 28, 2013 at 7:12 PM Post #725 of 4,839
Jun 28, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #726 of 4,839
Sometimes a communication speed can be a bit slow, but it's a small operation and everything always works out in the end.

For my experience, I had Jack make me a custom extended umbilical for my more vintage WA6-SE. The umbilical that was delivered was the wrong size and I didn't bother to check until almost 3 months later (when my listening room was finally complete) initial emails to Jack were slow going, but the turn around time once I got an OK to return the incorrect one was quick (after he was able to find the older couplings).

Don't worry, if you don't get a response after a few BUSINESS days, try again...

Jun 29, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #727 of 4,839

I know what you means, any time I even tried to get support via email they were very short with me

Jun 30, 2013 at 5:32 AM Post #728 of 4,839
My 6FD7's are coming tomorrow. I will report back when I have them.

Do you guys have any suggestion on DAC's to pair with the WA6SE. I have been using the Audiolab M-DAC for the last months. It works brilliantly with good recordings but the modern day so often poorly recorded music can sound too harsh for my taste. Especially the sound of electrical guitars can become grating.

Jun 30, 2013 at 5:44 AM Post #729 of 4,839
Quote:

Do you guys have any suggestion on DAC's to pair with the WA6SE. I have been using the Audiolab M-DAC for the last months. It works brilliantly with good recordings but the modern day so often poorly recorded music can sound too harsh for my taste. Especially the sound of electrical guitars can become grating.

I've been using Centrance DACmini solely for its DAC purpose and so far have no qualms about it.

Jun 30, 2013 at 7:08 AM Post #730 of 4,839
Quote:

Then the Burson Audio DA160 could be something for you!

I dont get that harsh sound, not even with my T90's. the music never gets unpleasant, i got the same experience when i connected the DAC to my friend's rig, he got a bit of harsh highs in the speakers, he was very surprised, and we could play very loud without any harshness and listening fatique, the DA160 realy does something magical in especially this arear, and with a very neutral analog sound

Jun 30, 2013 at 8:39 AM Post #731 of 4,839
Thanks for the tips Problem and Sprite40!

I will try the Burson first. My audio dealer carries Burson and is normally willing to let you do a trial at home as I did with my other parts of equipment.

I have an issue of the German Stereophile magazine discussing that there are basically two different ways in which people perceive sounds. Some people (like me) seem to be not enjoying sounds that are perceived as harsh. You really have to pick that equipement that suits your particular hearing best.

Jun 30, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #732 of 4,839
Peachtree DacIt = not harsh.
regular_smile .gif

Jul 1, 2013 at 5:17 AM Post #733 of 4,839
Off topic question here.

In my opinion a DAC should be transparent to the sound signature.  I have very little experience with DACs and have only ever owned the Music Fidelity M1 DAC.  So, here is my question, does it make that much difference once you get above a price point and if so what is that price point?

Jul 1, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #734 of 4,839
Quote:
Off topic question here.

In my opinion a DAC should be transparent to the sound signature.  I have very little experience with DACs and have only ever owned the Music Fidelity M1 DAC.  So, here is my question, does it make that much difference once you get above a price point and if so what is that price point?

imo, i think its in the few thousands. i wouldn't spend over 3-4k for a DAC. not sure if theres any improvement after that, or if its really worth it past that.

Jul 1, 2013 at 8:27 PM Post #735 of 4,839
Its a shame I no longer have access to an oscilloscope.

I think you're right though, the price of some DACs are scary high and they must adhere to the rule of diminishing returns as with everything else in our hobby :)

Back on subject.

My results for the "Potato Masher" are in.

For its price its a great tube however even with my HD650s I find it a touch bright and fatiguing but as a backup tube its a good one to have around.  The largest drawback is that it is ugly as all hell and makes my WA6 look horrible!  All of my listening was done with a set of GM 6EM7s and will test it again next week with a set of 6SN7s that I have that are not as bright to see if it sounds a little nicer.

Also, just received a great looking Sel Lorenz 1971 GZ32 to test out when I get home.  Will let you know how it goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back