Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice
Mar 24, 2013 at 4:16 PM Post #376 of 4,839
What is the output impedance for the WA6?  I read in a review that the output impedance for the WA6SE is 15Ohms on the low switch which seems much too high for low impedance headphones.  I'm considering the WA6 for some Audio Technicas but I'm having doubts if the output impedance is that high.  Will it really affect the sound that much?

Mar 24, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #377 of 4,839
Quote:
What is the output impedance for the WA6?  I read in a review that the output impedance for the WA6SE is 15 Ohms on the low switch which seems much too high for low impedance headphones.  I'm considering the WA6 for some Audio Technicas but I'm having doubts if the output impedance is that high.  Will it really affect the sound that much?

My daughter has a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50, they sound unbelievable plugged into the WA6.  Output is 8-99ohm or switch it to 100-600ohm.

Side Note: She wanted  Beats for christmas, she got the M50's. Her cousins were calling them Mexican Beats for whatever odd reason?? Once they heard them they were asking their parents if they could return the headphones they got for christmas...lol

Mar 24, 2013 at 4:45 PM Post #378 of 4,839
I meant the output impedance of the WA6 itself not the impedance range on the high and low switch.  My concern is that if the WA6 also has an output impedance of 15Ohms like the WA6SE then there's not much of a damping factor for 40Ohm headphones.

Mar 24, 2013 at 5:20 PM Post #379 of 4,839
Quote:
Every time I apply any EQ settings it feels like I'm crushing the sound signature. Hardware based might yield different results.  I'm kind of torn between the Ultrasone 900 or Beyer 990...? I just want a fun headphone when I get in that mood. I have been on the hunt for the Denon's every since I heard Dubstep girl rave about the bass....Impossible to find...sigh

I know that this is getting way off topic (sorry). On some eq sources (plug ins and cheap outboard eqs), when you increase (or decrease) a frequency band, you may also unintentionally be affecting the next bands of frequency aligned to either side of  the frequency you are trying to control. Thus you get a greater and not so intended effect from your tweak. "Crushing" the sound signature sounds more like this is happening to you as you are bleeding over into the other frequency range. The only way to avoid that is by using high end plug ins or outboard gear. Pairing your headphones with the right amp can help too. But if you are really a bass head, even with the 7000's you still may not be a happy camper for reasons I have outlined in my original post. For the record, I listen through a pair of Fostex th900s with a Woo Audio WA6SE. With this pairing, the bass extension still is not what I experience through my speaker system. But why would it? 

Mar 24, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #380 of 4,839
ok. the OUTPUT IMPEDANCE on both of these its 15 ohm for the low impedance jack/switch and 50-60 for the high impedance jack/switch

its still rather high, but it does not compromise sound quality on lower impedance headphones. works great with 25 ohm denons, 32 ohm grados, 50 ohm audeze and just about every else out there...

ive even found IEMS and earbuds to work quite well.

Mar 24, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #381 of 4,839
Quote:
ok. the OUTPUT IMPEDANCE on both of these its 15 ohm for the low impedance jack/switch and 50-60 for the high impedance jack/switch

its still rather high, but it does not compromise sound quality on lower impedance headphones. works great with 25 ohm denons, 32 ohm grados, 50 ohm audeze and just about every else out there...

ive even found IEMS and earbuds to work quite well.

+1 It (WA6SE) works great on my 25 ohm Fostex th900.

Mar 25, 2013 at 2:38 AM Post #382 of 4,839
Hmm Debating between Beyer 990 600OHM or Ultra Pro 900. I haven't seen much talk about them on this thread. Anyone have the Ultra Pro 900 paired with the WA6?

Mar 25, 2013 at 4:31 AM Post #383 of 4,839
i didn't like pro 900s off the WA6-SE, but maybe it was just the headphones, the WA6 should be similar. 

the beyers are nice with all woo amps.

Mar 25, 2013 at 8:30 AM Post #384 of 4,839
Quote:
i didn't like pro 900s off the WA6-SE, but maybe it was just the headphones, the WA6 should be similar. 

the beyers are nice with all woo amps.

I don't think the pro 900s were good off any amp 
wink.gif
... completely agree with the "maybe it was just the headphones.."

Mar 25, 2013 at 9:33 AM Post #385 of 4,839
Do you think upgrading from fiio e9 to wa6se would give my akg k702 a good imaging and lush sound, will they also become more aggressive in anyway? Because as of this time I like them a lot with my classical and vocal type of music, however when playing rock music, they loss their naturalness, timing and sounds thin.

Mar 25, 2013 at 10:09 AM Post #386 of 4,839
Quote:
Do you think upgrading from fiio e9 to wa6se would give my akg k702 a good imaging and lush sound, will they also become more aggressive in anyway? Because as of this time I like them a lot with my classical and vocal type of music, however when playing rock music, they loss their naturalness, timing and sounds thin.

That will be a big upgrade - bigger soundstage, better separation, and warmer treble compared to the e9.. it would be a nice upgrade to the k702 i think.

Mar 25, 2013 at 11:18 AM Post #387 of 4,839
Quote:
That will be a big upgrade - bigger soundstage, better separation, and warmer treble compared to the e9.. it would be a nice upgrade to the k702 i think.

Do you use them also on rock music? your Q701? I bet not cauz you have your  lcd2 there. Anyway i'm happy to see people using akg's and then seeing lcd as one of the cans in their equipments. I see myself using the same cans and building my audio's with my woo audio wa6se (not yet own) in the center.

Mar 26, 2013 at 1:45 AM Post #388 of 4,839
I had AKG K701 (newer version that sounds very similar to Q701)  with the WA6-SE and enjoyed them very much. they did not sound too aggressive, they where slightly warm in the mids and sounded really good overall. they could be a little bass light for me at times, but the bass was very good as well. clearly, they where very well driven since there was no brightness/harshness/or thinness to be found. they sounded very good.

i was using 6EW7 tubes which are sweet and smooth in the highs, though can be a tad bass light, i bet they will sound even better with 6DR7 or 6FD7 tubes.

Mar 26, 2013 at 2:40 AM Post #389 of 4,839
Quote:
Do you use them also on rock music? your Q701? I bet not cauz you have your  lcd2 there. Anyway i'm happy to see people using akg's and then seeing lcd as one of the cans in their equipments. I see myself using the same cans and building my audio's with my woo audio wa6se (not yet own) in the center.

I listened to rock and electronic music with the Q701s, like Dubstep Girl said they sound excellent with WA6SE/tubes and especially with the 6FD7s which have more bass prat. I was not a big fan of the LCD2 - I got rid of those quick, I preferred my D7000s for pretty much every genre.

Mar 26, 2013 at 6:06 AM Post #390 of 4,839
I listened to rock and electronic music with the Q701s, like Dubstep Girl said they sound excellent with WA6SE/tubes and especially with the 6FD7s which have more bass prat. I was not a big fan of the LCD2 - I got rid of those quick, I preferred my D7000s for pretty much every genre.
Wow! You mean lcd's are not good at bass, Macedonian hero, and many others of course said in most of the thread that they are excellent in rock music with excellent bass extension and overall in a bassy type of music. They like them in any type of genre.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back