Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice
Mar 8, 2013 at 7:10 AM Post #316 of 4,839
Quote:

rectifiers do sound quite different, the sophia, 596, gz34 are all different. i wanna try out an EML in the future or maybe some of the nos options. i guess the WA6-SE's construction is what makes the rectifiers have such a huge impact on sound. on my WA2, the rectifier seems to make the least amount of difference.

It's worth a try, but I wasn't all that impressed with the EML.. at the time I only had the Sophia to compare to (which I preferred) but I remembered some posters on the Woo Audio thread saying they preferred the 596 to the EML as well; from memory I would agree with that having the 596 currently. What did stand out about the EML was the presentation (physically) it was a great looking tube and came packaged really well (unlike current production Sophia Princess 274B).. otherwise nothing too exciting, I actually ended up selling my EML a while back.

Mar 12, 2013 at 2:34 AM Post #317 of 4,839
put my mullard GZ34 back in now that i have the 6GL7, im finding the bass on the LCD-2 to be quite satisfactory now, might just be in my head, but i think it slams harder than the 596 or sophia now. like the sub-bass is really good now. still miss my denons, but i can live without them for a while now 
biggrin.gif
 downside, i think i find the LCD-2 to be a little too dark now, but i like it! 

doesn't sound too good on the HD 800 or HE-500 though, too dark and the mids sound weird, i can see why some people didn't care for the 6GL7 now that i heard this combo. more tube rolling to come!

Mar 12, 2013 at 5:40 PM Post #318 of 4,839
I just got my adapters and the upgrade 6GL7 tubes for WA6-SE. 
Was anyone else's noisy? The tubes were quite noisy at first, but after a half hr they have calmed down but are still making some high frequency noise. 

Mar 12, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #319 of 4,839
Quote:
I just got my adapters and the upgrade 6GL7 tubes for WA6-SE. 
Was anyone else's noisy? The tubes were quite noisy at first, but after a half hr they have calmed down but are still making some high frequency noise. 

Yes, they are little noisy during the break-in period.  The noise should subside after the tubes get a few hours of burn-in (depends on tubes but mine did after ~50hrs or so).

Congrats on the new amp!  Should take some pics and share with us! 

Mar 12, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #320 of 4,839
Quote:
put my mullard GZ34 back in now that i have the 6GL7, im finding the bass on the LCD-2 to be quite satisfactory now, might just be in my head, but i think it slams harder than the 596 or sophia now. like the sub-bass is really good now. still miss my denons, but i can live without them for a while now 
biggrin.gif
 downside, i think i find the LCD-2 to be a little too dark now, but i like it! 

doesn't sound too good on the HD 800 or HE-500 though, too dark and the mids sound weird, i can see why some people didn't care for the 6GL7 now that i heard this combo. more tube rolling to come!

You should give the 6EM7 a try.  I find them a little better than the GL/DN...they give my HD800 a little bass boost, but not to the level of the D7K though.  

Mar 12, 2013 at 11:52 PM Post #321 of 4,839
^ thanks, i'll have to check it out soon!

Mar 12, 2013 at 11:55 PM Post #322 of 4,839
Quote:

Yes, they are little noisy during the break-in period.  The noise should subside after the tubes get a few hours of burn-in (depends on tubes but mine did after ~50hrs or so).

Congrats on the new amp!  Should take some pics and share with us! 

+1

mine where noisy at first too, it went away. i just thought it was cause of the higher gain or something.

Mar 13, 2013 at 2:09 AM Post #323 of 4,839
Quote:

+1

mine where noisy at first too, it went away. i just thought it was cause of the higher gain or something.

did the noise completely go away (also what headphones have you tried them with)? - I remember Jack telling me the noise would be more pronounced with efficient headphones compared to the 6FD7s (which are already a little noisy) since they are higher gain.

With my TH900s and D7000s (efficient) the FD7s were always making a hiss, but with the LCD2s / 3s (un-efficient) dead silent so I figured it was gain.

Mar 13, 2013 at 3:14 AM Post #324 of 4,839
My 6EM7 and 6FD7also gave a slight hiss on TH900, but not on LCD2 and RS1i.
For my ears, 6EM7 is better on soundstage and detail (laid back tough), while 6FD7 better on PRAT (more assertive).
Overall, I used 6FD7 most of the time.

Mar 13, 2013 at 3:58 AM Post #325 of 4,839
Quote:
My 6EM7 and 6FD7also gave a slight hiss on TH900, but not on LCD2 and RS1i.
For my ears, 6EM7 is better on soundstage and detail (laid back tough), while 6FD7 better on PRAT (more assertive).
Overall, I used 6FD7 most of the time.

yea the FD7s have been my go-to tube for some time as well.. the PRAT is just excellent.

Mar 13, 2013 at 4:07 AM Post #326 of 4,839
the WA6-SE is noisy for me in the fact that when no music is playing, if you raise the volume, after somewhere past 12 o clock, there will start to be noise present, and quite noticeable if the volume is maxed.

with most tubes, this isnt noticeable till around 1 o clock or so, and this is always WAY past the comfortable listening level (this would be deafening loud even for me).  it was just more noticeable with the 6GL7 because  it started at around 11 o clock or so. however, this tube also has more gain than normal, after burn in, it seems to have disappeared somewhat. there is no noise until noon or so like all the other tubes.

it isn't very noticeable on the LCD-2, the least noticeable on the HE-500, its average with the T1 and HD 800, it was more noticeable with the D7000 when i owned them. the D7000 actually having slight noise at normal volume with the 6GL7, it wasn't a problem though and it seemed to go away after burn-in. i no longer have d7000 though.

im pretty sure its just cause of the gain.

Mar 13, 2013 at 10:32 AM Post #329 of 4,839
Got two GE (labeled RCA) 6FD7 and a 1962 brown based RCA 5R4GY for my WA6 on the way from Jim McShane.  They're el cheapo so tube rolling will be stress free.
biggrin.gif
  Maybe some pics if anyone cares.

Mar 13, 2013 at 8:27 PM Post #330 of 4,839
Quote:
did the noise completely go away (also what headphones have you tried them with)? - I remember Jack telling me the noise would be more pronounced with efficient headphones compared to the 6FD7s (which are already a little noisy) since they are higher gain.

With my TH900s and D7000s (efficient) the FD7s were always making a hiss, but with the LCD2s / 3s (un-efficient) dead silent so I figured it was gain.

Jack gave me two Philco 6GL7s.  I am taking them out and listening to them now.  Dead quiet even at max volume (no music of course)...thru HD800 and D7000.

I used to have issue with noise got into the RCA interconnects so this could be a source of amp noise.  My setup is next to a computer and two monitors so it's quite a noisy environment.  If you hear a cyclic whining/hiss in the background, it's a sign.           

Users who are viewing this thread

Back