Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice
Feb 13, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #226 of 4,839
Quote:
How's the background hiss with them on the D7000s?

its noticeable when nothings playing. at normal listening gain, u can hear it lightly, and very subtle but still noticeable if u pay attention when the gain is all the way down.

the WA6-SE always has slight noise with these, even if its really small.

if i use 6EW7, the noise is only noticeable when no music is playing and the volume knob is set way past my listening lvl (like 1 o clock).

Feb 14, 2013 at 12:02 AM Post #227 of 4,839
omg my LCD-2 sound so good right now with these tubes!!!! 

i might actually sell my denons now, im finally satisfied with the LCD-2 as a replacement for them....

i've always though the LCD-2 sounded good, but never amazing, i wasn't ever super impressed by them off the WA6-SE until now.

they just sound so musical and super detailed. and the sound, its just so different i would always think the LCD-2 had good bass, but rolled off highs and a congested midrange, but now they sound so transparent and smooth and dynamic! and the bass!! its like alot better than before!!!

EDIT: also my Mullard GZ34 just arrived! its the real deal!!

Feb 14, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #228 of 4,839
Quote:
omg my LCD-2 sound so good right now with these tubes!!!! 

i might actually sell my denons now, im finally satisfied with the LCD-2 as a replacement for them....

i've always though the LCD-2 sounded good, but never amazing, i wasn't ever super impressed by them off the WA6-SE until now.

they just sound so musical and super detailed. and the sound, its just so different i would always think the LCD-2 had good bass, but rolled off highs and a congested midrange, but now they sound so transparent and smooth and dynamic! and the bass!! its like alot better than before!!!

EDIT: also my Mullard GZ34 just arrived! its the real deal!!

Which tubes are you using?  Rectifier and drivers?  WA6SE?

I am thinking of may be grabbing a LCD-2/3...just wanna hear opinions on them on the WA6SE.  The D7Ks sound phenomenally for me already.  Can't imagine what can top that!

But though, on look alone, the D7Ks are much nicer than the LCDs...      

Feb 14, 2013 at 11:12 PM Post #229 of 4,839
Quote:

Which tubes are you using?  Rectifier and drivers?  WA6SE?

I am thinking of may be grabbing a LCD-2/3...just wanna hear opinions on them on the WA6SE.  The D7Ks sound phenomenally for me already.  Can't imagine what can top that!

But though, on look alone, the D7Ks are much nicer than the LCDs...      

for the LCD-2, i'm really enjoying the 6GL7 and 596 tubes. for the Denons, same one or the Sophia 274B and 6EW7 tubes. 

the LCD-2 did not sound that great with the other tubes, some gave it a congested sound, some made it a little harsh, some made dull, but the 6GL7 and 596 made it VERY good. 

Feb 15, 2013 at 12:13 AM Post #230 of 4,839
Quote:

for the LCD-2, i'm really enjoying the 6GL7 and 596 tubes. for the Denons, same one or the Sophia 274B and 6EW7 tubes. 

the LCD-2 did not sound that great with the other tubes, some gave it a congested sound, some made it a little harsh, some made dull, but the 6GL7 and 596 made it VERY good. 

Cool...thanks for the info.  I want to try the 596...but can't find one anywhere.

Are you planning to markl mod the Denon's?  Wonder if it's worth the money.

Feb 15, 2013 at 12:19 AM Post #231 of 4,839
Quote:

Cool...thanks for the info.  I want to try the 596...but can't find one anywhere.

Are you planning to markl mod the Denon's?  Wonder if it's worth the money.

they have the MarkL mod on them already. I think its worth it because it makes them more open and makes the bass more controlled without losing any bass. The downside is that on poor recordings, they can get sibilant. 

Feb 15, 2013 at 1:07 AM Post #232 of 4,839
Quote:

they have the MarkL mod on them already. I think its worth it because it makes them more open and makes the bass more controlled without losing any bass. The downside is that on poor recordings, they can get sibilant. 

Haha, I was hoping that you would say otherwise since it will be more money spending now 
redface.gif
...Okay, may be after getting the tax money back.

Feb 15, 2013 at 10:02 AM Post #233 of 4,839
Quote:

+1

I'm using the exact same combination with LCD-3's and really like the results.  I'd had the 6GL7's for a while and never liked them until paired with the 596, but something about that combination just works with the Audeze phones.

The 6GL7 and the 596 are a very powerful combination which may explain why they match so well with orthos.

Feb 15, 2013 at 10:33 AM Post #234 of 4,839
I have a Woo wa3+ and recently purchased the Modi dac. It is my first and only dac i have owned. It was night and day for the better.
My HD650,s sound great with the combo. May I also add, that I have no special audio software installed on my crappy old HP laptop.
I'm just currently running from my itunes library of the laptop via usb, into the dac, dac into my nad c326bee integrated amp, tape out of nad, into the woo, and Hd650's on my head.
The result, is smooth flowing full music, from high to low pumped into my brain, even though it sounds like its floating around my head.
L3000.gif
 Cheers!

Feb 15, 2013 at 8:40 PM Post #235 of 4,839
After going through several configurations I have found my favorite combination so far.
Anybody else having a "positive experience" with SP and some 6CY7?

Feb 16, 2013 at 7:49 PM Post #236 of 4,839
Quote:
After going through several configurations I have found my favorite combination so far.

I have a pair of RCA 6CY7 + Sophia Princess -- it was the first tube I tried, after the "stock" 6EW7 that came with my 6SE. They sounded fine to me - I don't recall hearing any particular character. I soon-after swapped in a pair of 6DR7, which I've stuck with for a couple of months now. I think that I'm hearing better bass response (though I'm aware that could be attributable to a number of other factors). 

In other words ... I've not given the 6CY7 a fair evaluation. Now that you mention it, I'll try to remember to swap them back in and see if I can hear anything different.

beerchug.gif

Feb 16, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #237 of 4,839
Quote:

The 6CY7s definitely sound better than the stock DEs.  I've tried FDs and by far the best drivers without using adapters.  If you can, get the adapters and get the DN/GL/EM.  Those are truly kicked asses!    

Feb 17, 2013 at 1:48 AM Post #238 of 4,839
I have the Sylvania 6FD7 and also some RCA 6DE7 and right now I do think that the 6CY7 work best with the SP....and of course with my headphones(HD800 with Cardas cable sounds better than LCD2 REV2;believe it or not the bass is absolutely controlled and deep).

Feb 17, 2013 at 9:48 AM Post #239 of 4,839
The 6CY7 have the most attractive heater glow of the lot I've tried. 
biggrin.gif

Feb 17, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #240 of 4,839
Quote:
I have the Sylvania 6FD7 and also some RCA 6DE7 and right now I do think that the 6CY7 work best with the SP....and of course with my headphones(HD800 with Cardas cable sounds better than LCD2 REV2;believe it or not the bass is absolutely controlled and deep).

Some how, I'm not impressed with the HD800 too much.  I enjoy stock D7000s more for the less bright and more bass impact.  Have recabled the HD800 with Moon Silver Dragon v2 and tried all tube variations.  

Wow, lot of folks are having the LCD2/3, make me want ones too!     

Users who are viewing this thread

Back