Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice
Dec 25, 2020 at 10:31 AM Post #3,526 of 4,839
Apologies, but I did not get much luck with a search of this thread. Has anyone had any experience with the Hifima Aryas and the Woo Audio WA6 SE? I had been listening to Hifiman HE500 but that was a few years ago and looking for a new pair of headphones. The Arya sounded great with a solid state amp, but not sure how they would pair with a tube amp like the Woo.

Dec 27, 2020 at 11:34 AM Post #3,527 of 4,839
Got my replacement tube. Really good CS

Played it long enough to make sure it worked.

Attachments

• 1EF68762-FE73-4B59-B223-321910B70826.jpeg
    1EF68762-FE73-4B59-B223-321910B70826.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Dec 27, 2020 at 6:38 PM Post #3,528 of 4,839
Hi, has anybody paired wa6 (SE) with Meze Empyrean and can share impressions? This may be nice setup.
Is wa6 really very different to Feliks Euforia? I have also read wa6 (se) is darker and more tubey to wa22 (which i owned) and that is the direction i am looking for.
I can't say anything about their sound, but Feliks audio headphone amps are all OTL, so they only work well with reasonably high impedance headphones. Doesn't mean they won't work with low impedance ones, but the sound will suffer a bit, specially in the low end.
They recommend about 80-100ohms minimum.

Dec 28, 2020 at 5:22 AM Post #3,529 of 4,839
I can't say anything about their sound, but Feliks audio headphone amps are all OTL, so they only work well with reasonably high impedance headphones. Doesn't mean they won't work with low impedance ones, but the sound will suffer a bit, specially in the low end.
They recommend about 80-100ohms minimum.
This is generally true, but this particular setup (Empyrians and Euforia) is recommended by both Meze and Feliks. Also by Headfonia in their Meze Empyrean review. Not sure how it works but seems a good match.
Still would be nice if someone can share experience with Empyreans/wa6 combo or wa6/Feliks comparison.

Dec 31, 2020 at 8:53 AM Post #3,532 of 4,839
If you read this thread -all 225 pages - and conclude that tube changes won’t make a difference without actually trying to see if they do, I don’t think you’ll get what you are looking for with this amp.

I owned the 6SE, and now own the WA22 and WA5. Every single tube changed the sound except for the 8080 tubes in the WA22. Some were slight, but noticeable, others were massive differences - like changing the sonic character using tone controls. I’ve owned over a dozen tube amps in the last ten years, exotic ones like AirTight and VAC and some standard CJ and ARC amps among others. Woo amps seem to be the most impacted by tube changes.

The driver tubes have the most impact IMHO especially the 6SN7s, but I was surprised how much the rectifier changed the sonic signature. the Sophia was a noticeable improvement over the stock 5AR4 but the Brimar sounded every bit as good as the Sophia at a much bigger price discount - you could buy 3-4 Brimars for the cost of one Sophia 274. I run the Brimar on my WA22 and the Sophia on my WA5 because it looks prettier.

Take the collective wisdom here and swap a few tubes before you decide what makes a difference or not.

Replying to the old post, but seems it captured what is very interesting to me. I have owned WA22 with LCD 3f, and was not really happy with that combo. The sound was, surprisingly, sometimes a bit harsh. I was using WA22 mostly in non - balanced mode, as I have heard the post 2015 versions of WA22 are fine with non - balanced mode (i.e balanced does not make a difference).

I have sold both WA22 and lcd 3f and bought Meze Empyrean. It seems they are potentially a good match with Woo. I am considering buying WA6 SE (have just sent a WTB post), but would be grateful if someone could very briefly compare WA 6 SE/WA 22/ WA5. Having searched the forum I understand that:

1) WA6 is better than WA22 in single mode, but worse than WA22 in balanced;
2) WA6 is a bit warmer than WA 22 (although I have also seen opposite views);
3) WA6 sounds more or less the same as WA5 in terms of tonality (subject to the fact that WA5 is superior in terms of quality).

Would it be a fair summary? I would like to try Meze with WA 6 SE first.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #3,533 of 4,839
One more question, does it make sense yo buy Woo Wa6 SE pre 2010 ( i have an opportunity)? I understand it does not have upgraded power supply and the following tubes can not be used: 6DR7, 6CY7 and 6FD7. Is it signigicantly worse than post 2010?

Jan 5, 2021 at 5:04 PM Post #3,534 of 4,839
One more question, does it make sense yo buy Woo Wa6 SE pre 2010 ( i have an opportunity)? I understand it does not have upgraded power supply and the following tubes can not be used: 6DR7, 6CY7 and 6FD7. Is it signigicantly worse than post 2010?
I own one, and the only drag is not being able to use 6FD7 tubes, which I hear from many on this forum and elsewhere are the best sounding variants (while raising the gain and possibly the noise floor). I'm pretty happy with my 6DE7's on my unit though! In some cases, limiting possibilities can be a good thing. You don't have to mess with too many options :)

Jan 5, 2021 at 5:15 PM Post #3,535 of 4,839
I own one, and the only drag is not being able to use 6FD7 tubes, which I hear from many on this forum and elsewhere are the best sounding variants (while raising the gain and possibly the noise floor). I'm pretty happy with my 6DE7's on my unit though! In some cases, limiting possibilities can be a good thing. You don't have to mess with too many options :)
Thanks very much for Your response. Having also read the thread it seems lack of 6FD7 is the only pain. It is said 6ed7s have the biggest soundstage...

I have also heard some pre2008 versions have problems with Sophia Princess. Is that true?

What do You mean by noise floor? Is wa6se not quiet?

Jan 5, 2021 at 6:26 PM Post #3,536 of 4,839
Thanks very much for Your response. Having also read the thread it seems lack of 6FD7 is the only pain. It is said 6ed7s have the biggest soundstage...

I have also heard some pre2008 versions have problems with Sophia Princess. Is that true?

What do You mean by noise floor? Is wa6se not quiet?
I did not know that about the Sophia! I don’t have one so I can’t tell if mine has that issue. I’m pretty happy with the rectifiers I have, though, so I don’t see myself getting one.

As for noise floor, I think I’ve heard people say that with more sensitive headphones, the extra gain with the 6FD7’s can cause some noise. Don’t know if anyone on this thread has seen that, but it’s something I remember coming across while reading.

The amp has always been dead quiet for me.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2021 at 6:30 PM Post #3,537 of 4,839
I did not know that about the Sophia! I don’t have one so I can’t tell if mine has that issue. I’m pretty happy with the rectifiers I have, though, so I don’t see myself getting one.

As for noise floor, I think I’ve heard people say that with more sensitive headphones, the extra gain with the 6FD7’s can cause some noise. Don’t know if anyone on this thread has seen that, but it’s something I remember coming across while reading.

The amp has always been dead quiet for me.
Thanks. It seems the only question is that is 6fd7 a real advantage over 6ed7/ 6ew7.. i have only read 6fd7 has more punchy bass and wider soundstage.

Jan 5, 2021 at 6:38 PM Post #3,538 of 4,839
Thanks. It seems the only question is that is 6fd7 a real advantage over 6ed7/ 6ew7.. i have only read 6fd7 has more punchy bass and wider soundstage.
What's funny is that I did actually try a couple of pairs of 6FD7's before I knew the amp couldn't take them. It would make these really loud cracking noises, but they were intermittent, so I was able to do some brief listening. From what I remember, what you're saying is correct. Bigger stage and more impactful bass. From what I can tell, 6EW7's have that large soundstage but seem to lack the impact and body, and the 6DE7's are more impactful but without the wider soundstage.

I've been able to get the sound I want rolling the rectifiers though, especially the Brimar 5R4GY. It's not ideal, knowin g the 6FD7's exist, but absolutely good enough for me.

Jan 6, 2021 at 4:19 AM Post #3,539 of 4,839
What's funny is that I did actually try a couple of pairs of 6FD7's before I knew the amp couldn't take them. It would make these really loud cracking noises, but they were intermittent, so I was able to do some brief listening. From what I remember, what you're saying is correct. Bigger stage and more impactful bass. From what I can tell, 6EW7's have that large soundstage but seem to lack the impact and body, and the 6DE7's are more impactful but without the wider soundstage.

I've been able to get the sound I want rolling the rectifiers though, especially the Brimar 5R4GY. It's not ideal, knowin g the 6FD7's exist, but absolutely good enough for me.

Thanks, this is what i wanted to find out:) It seems 6EF7 is something i am looking for my Meze. I will look for wa6se 2010-2017 than:) Rectifier tube must be Sophia Princess, no matter how it sounds (no bad i think), it looks awesome.

I used to have wa22 and it had very good dynamics while being silky but played a bit too much into the face. I did not also liked it with my previous HP.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2021 at 4:09 PM Post #3,540 of 4,839
I just received my WA6-SE. This is my first tube amp and I'm excited to get started. I have a couple of questions I haven't been able to find the answer to:

1. When I turn it on, the light blinks for a few seconds before it seems to kick on. Is this normal operation, and if so, what is the purpose for the delay?
2. Once on, I can hear a faint buzz/hum from the power supply side. Is this normal?

I appreciate any thoughts and look forward to jumping into this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back