Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice
Aug 31, 2020 at 8:59 PM Post #3,421 of 4,839
Having owned the WA6+ (upgraded caps & tube sockets back when available) for several years, currently running Mullard CV378 and 6FD7s, I find it to be a product of lasting value. Looking at the current market I would consider the WA6 to be very competitive at $899 considering sonics, build quality, fit and finish, and considering mine, longevity. Plus, for me, I like that it’s homegrown.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2020 at 10:21 PM Post #3,422 of 4,839
Having owned the WA6+ (upgraded caps & tube sockets back when available) for several years, currently running Mullard CV378 and 6FD7s, I find it to be a product of lasting value. Looking at the current market I would consider the WA6 to be very competitive at $899 considering sonics, build quality, fit and finish, and considering mine, longevity. Plus, for me, I like that it’s homegrown.
If only it came with some descent tubes, then yes it would be worth $899. IMO

Sep 10, 2020 at 6:51 AM Post #3,423 of 4,839
Hi guys I bought my 6se 10 years ago and I haven't used it during the last 5 years.
Lately I've come back to enjoying it again.
I also bought a 3rd party adapter to use it with 6sn7 tubes.
Anyone has the same adapter and knows if it's compatible with cv181 tubes (like Shuguang and Psvane)?
These are are reported to be a direct replacement for 6sn7.
Unfortunately I don't remember who made the adapter, it was some someone here in the forum.

Sep 11, 2020 at 2:37 AM Post #3,425 of 4,839
I thought you couldn't use 6SN7's with the "SE". Thought they could only be used with the WA6?

Yes you can't, but someone here used to sell a 3rd party adapter, to use the 6sn7 with the woo 6se.
The only thing I'm not sure about is if it's compatible with cv 181 as well.

Sep 11, 2020 at 6:27 AM Post #3,426 of 4,839
Sep 11, 2020 at 6:47 AM Post #3,427 of 4,839
Sep 11, 2020 at 6:56 AM Post #3,428 of 4,839
Anyway I would be really curious to try something like this:
https://www.tnt-audio.com/accessories/shuguang_treasures_cv181_e.html
I'm just not sure it's fully compatible.

Right now my favourites tubes are GE 6DN7 with EML 5U4G.
I've tried quite a bit of stuff, 6EM7 GE/RCA sounds similar to 6dn7, just very slighly brighter, while the smaller tubes 6de7 are generally darker/bassier but also have smaller soundstage.
I mainly use a 1st gen he1000 with Forza Audio copper cable and 2nd gen earpads.
Source is a Chord Mojo/Fiio m11 combo.

Sep 17, 2020 at 1:10 AM Post #3,429 of 4,839
So my new toy arrived... very excited as I used to own a WA6 a few years ago loved its sound but didn't find it powerful enough with some of my planar headphones. The WA6-SE is a much better fit however it wasn't without its challenges at the start. Ran into a ground loop issue (50 cycle buzz with nothing playing) between my PC DAC and WA6 all of which had 3 pin IEC power cables. Buying an Isolation transformer and connecting my signal chain to it decouples everything from the mains and earth ground which fixed the ground loop, a simple and very safe solution. Hopefully this helps with anyone having similar issues with their Woo amps. Will post impressions when my other tubes get here.

119159177_610442943166103_1651705692294178704_n.jpg

119733202_810364946403974_206456043225553830_n.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2020 at 10:32 PM Post #3,430 of 4,839
Well I received my WA6-SE 2nd gen today. This evening I’m listening to JJ Cale’s “Roll On” album w/ DT880/ 600 ohm and am using my Schiit Loki EQ to accentuate the bass and sub bass. The sound result : W:open_mouth:w, just W:open_mouth:w ! I’m rolling the NOS 1963 RCA 5U4G Rectifier Tube w/ a matched pair 13FD7 Tubes RCA USA NOS Fat Bottle Black Plate.

Now, by this stage of the game in my audiophile journey, I’ve learned to not let the “new toy” effect influence my judgement concerning what I’m hearing. It doesn’t hurt that this is a well produced album. All of the instruments are clear and there’s no overlapping of instruments or sounds over others. No sibilance, no bass leaking into the mids, the highs are clear without roll off, the cymbals are crisp & clear without any harshness, etc. Voice is right in the middle clear, not buried and not overlapping anything. This amp is fast, I can hear the bass drum’s thump, the snare is crisp & clear, again, no harshness. To say that I’m happy with this amp is an understatement.

I’m hoping I’ll finally stay satisfied with the audio set up I now have. I also own & love the WA6 2nd gen but I kept thinking about the SE and wondering about it’s sound & wether it was worth the extra money. So far I have to say it is.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2020 at 2:27 PM Post #3,431 of 4,839
Well I received my WA6-SE 2nd gen today. This evening I’m listening to JJ Cale’s “Roll On” album w/ DT880/ 600 ohm and am using my Schiit Loki EQ to accentuate the bass and sub bass. The sound result : W:open_mouth:w, just W:open_mouth:w ! I’m rolling the NOS 1963 RCA 5U4G Rectifier Tube w/ a matched pair 13FD7 Tubes RCA USA NOS Fat Bottle Black Plate.

Now, by this stage of the game in my audiophile journey, I’ve learned to not let the “new toy” effect influence my judgement concerning what I’m hearing. It doesn’t hurt that this is a well produced album. All of the instruments are clear and there’s no overlapping of instruments or sounds over others. No sibilance, no bass leaking into the mids, the highs are clear without roll off, the cymbals are crisp & clear without any harshness, etc. Voice is right in the middle clear, not buried and not overlapping anything. This amp is fast, I can hear the bass drum’s thump, the snare is crisp & clear, again, no harshness. To say that I’m happy with this amp is an understatement.

I’m hoping I’ll finally stay satisfied with the audio set up I now have. I also own & love the WA6 2nd gen but I kept thinking about the SE and wondering about it’s sound & wether it was worth the extra money. So far I have to say it is.

Bob, congrats on your WA6-SE Gen 2. Enjoy it and keep us posted on your impressions.

I love my WA6-SE Gen 1. Really a high quality piece of gear and pairs really well with both the ZMF Verite & Sennheiser HD650's. I love to get into longer listening sessions with the WA6-SE. In the 5 months or so that I've owned it, to me, it seems like it really gets to sound at it's best with 2+ hours of continuous use. Really allowing it to get warm and allow everything to heat up to its optimal thermal level. This is where the magic happens and let's the music just flow and sing. Either way, enjoy the amp and the music!🎶

Sep 22, 2020 at 3:17 PM Post #3,432 of 4,839
Seems like the WA6 just went from $699 to $899. That's a massive price hike percentage wise for the exact same version as far as I can tell. Interesting.

I can't speak for Woo Audio but as someone who's been in the distribution industry for 30+ years - it isn't unusual for manufacturers to hold off price increases until the very last minute. They reach a point where they have to increase cost to offset materials with an expectation of market fluctuations. Sometimes those fluctuations are crazy. As a member of an industry that is heavily copper reliant - we have seen the price of copper vary as much as 478% in a single day. Just sayin'...

Sep 23, 2020 at 3:47 PM Post #3,433 of 4,839
I looked everywhere and just couldn't find any photos of the WA6 with the lid of the top enclosure open to see the power transformer...so...i took the allen to it. Surprisingly substantial in size, massive actually!

Edit: About twice the size of the power transformer in the Bryston BHA-1 or Naim Nait 5i integrated for example.

Attachments

• 20200923_123536.jpg
    20200923_123536.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 23, 2020 at 4:31 PM Post #3,434 of 4,839
Looking for a WA2 in silver if anyone is interested in selling.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back