Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice
Oct 25, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #3,002 of 4,839
My fear with dumping $140 for the 6FD7s and another $160 for the Princess rectifier tube is that the improvements might be marginal, ie disapointing for the money. What if everything sounds 'different' but not necessarily better?

I agree with the earlier post recommending the Brimar rectifier. The Princess is a beautiful tube to look at, but for me, wasn’t so great sonically.

Oct 25, 2018 at 11:16 AM Post #3,003 of 4,839
Thank you all for your help; the brimar rectifier and 6FD7s it is!

Oct 26, 2018 at 12:07 AM Post #3,004 of 4,839
What if everything sounds 'different' but not necessarily better?

Through all my hi-fi years, sidegrades are far more frequent than actual upgrades. It's just the nature of the hobby - research, spend some $, listen to music, sell it and move on if it's not synergistic in your rig.

(+1 on Brimar 5z4g and 6fd7s in my WA6+)

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2018 at 8:59 AM Post #3,005 of 4,839
IMG_20181027_102119.jpg
After using the Princess for quite a while I decided to roll in this little guy (Bendix 6106). Sounds good :)

Oct 27, 2018 at 5:45 PM Post #3,006 of 4,839
Does anyone have an idea where to source a replacement power switch for a WA6-SE? Mine has broken and I would prefer not to have to send it back to New York to have a new one soldered in Looking at it does not yield a make or model, just "j9" and "b500k". Google shows similar-looking potentiometers, but none are exactly the same? Any ideas?

Oct 27, 2018 at 6:39 PM Post #3,007 of 4,839
Does anyone have an idea where to source a replacement power switch for a WA6-SE? Mine has broken and I would prefer not to have to send it back to New York to have a new one soldered in Looking at it does not yield a make or model, just "j9" and "b500k". Google shows similar-looking potentiometers, but none are exactly the same? Any ideas?
Ask WOO?

Oct 31, 2018 at 10:11 PM Post #3,009 of 4,839
So i received the Langrex Brimar 5Z4G rectifier tube but I'm a little nervous to install it in my WA6 because when i look at the stock tube i notice it has 4 pins and the Langrex has 5.

Should i be concerned?

Nov 1, 2018 at 12:34 AM Post #3,010 of 4,839
So i received the Langrex Brimar 5Z4G rectifier tube but I'm a little nervous to install it in my WA6 because when i look at the stock tube i notice it has 4 pins and the Langrex has 5.

Should i be concerned?

I popped it in and everything's fine. Will report back on the differences i hear.

Nov 1, 2018 at 2:32 AM Post #3,011 of 4,839

Should i be concerned?
The 5Z4 is fully compatible, and is on Woo's list of compatible rectifiers. The fifth pin is redundant - it's connected to the metalized getter on the inside of the glass at the base. I think the main reason for the superior sound is mainly that the 5Z4 is indirectly heated versus the directly heated stock tube.

Nov 1, 2018 at 3:59 PM Post #3,012 of 4,839
The 5Z4 is fully compatible, and is on Woo's list of compatible rectifiers. The fifth pin is redundant - it's connected to the metalized getter on the inside of the glass at the base. I think the main reason for the superior sound is mainly that the 5Z4 is indirectly heated versus the directly heated stock tube.

Thanks for sharing this info.

Nov 1, 2018 at 5:37 PM Post #3,014 of 4,839
What are the sound benefits of a better rectifier?

As far as I understand the rectifier is just like an array of diodes in the power supply.

That is my understanding as well and i ask myself the same question regarding the sound benefits.
I will spend some time with the 5Z4 in order to get acquainted with its sound signature before comparing it to the stock tube. Even then, this test will be very subjective since you have to 1) turn off the amp 2) let the tube cool down 3) 'carefully' remove the tube 4) 'carefully' install the new tube 5) turn on the amp 6) let the amp warm up 7) volume match against the previous tube?
By that time your auditive memory has somewhat faded (this is not exactly a quick A/B comparison on the fly), therefore If the differences are very subtle then it might be hard to identify them.
Maybe i should listen to an entire album and then take the few minutes to do the swap and hopefully my auditive memory will still be fresh enough to notice any changes as opposed to comparing through short bursts of music.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2018 at 11:05 PM Post #3,015 of 4,839
That is my understanding as well and i ask myself the same question regarding the sound benefits.
I will spend some time with the 5Z4 in order to get acquainted with its sound signature before comparing it to the stock tube. Even then, this test will be very subjective since you have to 1) turn off the amp 2) let the tube cool down 3) 'carefully' remove the tube 4) 'carefully' install the new tube 5) turn on the amp 6) let the amp warm up 7) volume match against the previous tube?
By that time your auditive memory has somewhat faded (this is not exactly a quick A/B comparison on the fly), therefore If the differences are very subtle then it might be hard to identify them.
Maybe i should listen to an entire album and then take the few minutes to do the swap and hopefully my auditive memory will still be fresh enough to notice any changes as opposed to comparing through short bursts of music.
Quickie A/B comparisons really only show f/r differences, brighter, dull, etc., so your plan to listen for extended periods or whole albums, just sinking in to the music, will easily reveal important differences, true timbre & texture, the sound of real instruments in space, ambient cues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back