Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice
Feb 12, 2016 at 12:59 AM Post #2,433 of 4,839
  Thank you. Well OK, ordered! 

beerchug.gif

Feb 12, 2016 at 11:23 PM Post #2,436 of 4,839
Brimar is dope, definitely go that route....Maybe a somewhat controversial opinion on the WA6 - but imo 6DE7 + Brimar is good. In retrospect not worth it to do 6SN7 adapters for $80+the tube cost unless you are interested in the cosmetic differences (6SN7 looks way more awesome than some tiny 6DE7 tubes).

Of coures, ymmv, and some fellow posters would consider me a simpleton for my commentary! Enjoy. 

(WA6-HD600 FWIW)

Feb 12, 2016 at 11:42 PM Post #2,437 of 4,839
  Brimar is dope, definitely go that route....Maybe a somewhat controversial opinion on the WA6 - but imo 6DE7 + Brimar is good. In retrospect not worth it to do 6SN7 adapters for $80+the tube cost unless you are interested in the cosmetic differences (6SN7 looks way more awesome than some tiny 6DE7 tubes).

Of coures, ymmv, and some fellow posters would consider me a simpleton for my commentary! Enjoy. 

(WA6-HD600 FWIW)

Try your Brimar 5Z4G with some NOS 6FD7 (big bottles) from Woo.
I'm currently running this combo in my WA6 and really enjoy it. I have many other power/driver tube/rectifier tube combos that I enjoy as well.

Feb 13, 2016 at 12:24 AM Post #2,438 of 4,839

(WA6-HD600 FWIW)

The 6sn7/7n7 family reveals great micro-detail and that may be the reason they are considered an upgrade by some. But I find them lacking in dynamics, reminding me of past experiences with passive preamps in speaker-based systems.

In other words, no desire for listeners to "Tango Til They're Sore" (great album, Qonmus).

Feb 13, 2016 at 12:08 PM Post #2,440 of 4,839
Hello all,

I just purchased a wa6 and am pretty new to tube amps. I have looked through this post but there is A LOT of info here lol. I am looking for rectifier tube recommendations. I have read a lot about the Sophia princess. Does anyone know where a good place is to purchase one or a good place to purchase some others. Thanks for any help

Other decent Rectifiers would be GZ34/5AR4(F31,F32), 6106 ,Brimar 5Z4G,RK60 with adapters ,,also 596 with adapters,5V4G, Type 80-83 and 83V with the same adapter  

Feb 16, 2016 at 10:31 PM Post #2,441 of 4,839
Do any WA6-SE owners have experience pairing this with the HE-1000's? This headphone is hard to drive; I'm sure the WA6-SE can handle it theoretically (theoretical peak SPL about 120 dB when doing the calculations) as the power specs of this are 

800 mW at 600 Ω
1,300 mW at 300 Ω
1,800 mW at 120 Ω
1,900 mW at 60 Ω
2,000 mW at 32 Ω

per channel.

But just curious what other Head-Fi'ers, especially if you guys have the WA6-SE, think about the paring. Woo Audio's website seems to say it works well, and from their headphone amplifier comparison chart (http://wooaudio.com/docs/wooaudio_amplifier_comparisons.pdf) the WA6-SE is one of their more powerful amplifiers.

Right now I am using a LA-900 (highly modified version of the TH-900) with my own cabling, but I am interested in the HE-1000 because of the really good reviews it has been getting with the bass impact, etc.I listen to a lot of electronic stuff, primarily deep house so I really like that punchy, deep, smooth and hard hitting bass. The TH900 delivers, but I think the HE-1000's will do better from the reviews. However, I love the tube sound, and enjoy my WA6-SE amp a ton, and don't really want to stretch my budget > the already fairly high cost of the HE-1000's.

Thanks!

Feb 16, 2016 at 11:10 PM Post #2,442 of 4,839
Woo is in the house!  The WA6SE arrived today, yay,  Unpacking the unit was impressed with the evident care and pride that went into the shipping. Having read countless initial impression reviews like this, I will admit that I had very high expectations for fit and finish.  These were exceeded!

Let us see, 4 hours a day, 37 days for burn in.  Stock tubes are in place for amp burn, and alternatives are starting to roll in.  Of course I could not resist putting cans on with anticipation of low SQ.  Those expectations were met and possibly exceeded,  What is fun though is that the shabbiness of the initial sound is effortless and exuding power.  The sound is delivered with authority, a sign of great things to come. The channel separation is outstanding...

.Now here is a funny thing, with only an hour and half on the clock, is it not sounding quite as poopy?  Am I starting to hear some detail, or is this just wishful thinking? Are there good indications of sound stage?.....Just revisiting the first tracks that made me want to hurl and yes a great improvement.

At two and a half hours there is no question this is a keeper!  1.6% burned in with stock tubes and I am impressed with the potential, but I guess I am preaching to the choir.    

Feb 17, 2016 at 9:15 PM Post #2,443 of 4,839
In the package I got when I bought this SE, there is a box of various tubes. In it I have some adapters from woo for 6GL7-6DE7. The other 8 pin tubes I have are: 6EM7, 6DN7 and 6EA7. Can I use that same adapter for these other tubes?

Feb 17, 2016 at 10:23 PM Post #2,444 of 4,839

Users who are viewing this thread

Back