Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice
Feb 9, 2016 at 6:35 PM Post #2,418 of 4,844
Hello all,

I just purchased a wa6 and am pretty new to tube amps. I have looked through this post but there is A LOT of info here lol. I am looking for rectifier tube recommendations. I have read a lot about the Sophia princess. Does anyone know where a good place is to purchase one or a good place to purchase some others. Thanks for any help

Feb 9, 2016 at 6:53 PM Post #2,419 of 4,844
Hello all,

I just purchased a wa6 and am pretty new to tube amps. I have looked through this post but there is A LOT of info here lol. I am looking for rectifier tube recommendations. I have read a lot about the Sophia princess. Does anyone know where a good place is to purchase one or a good place to purchase some others. Thanks for any help

This thread will give you some good ideas:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/694525/dubstep-girls-massive-5ar4-5r4-5u4g-rectifier-review-comparison-rectifer-tube-rolling-thread

The Sophia Princess was the first rectifier I bought for my WA6 about one year ago. I have since built a collection of others and the SP sits unused. Lots of great choices for similar or much less money. The SP is best for looks but you can do better sound wise. If you buy a new SP Woo Audio is a reliable source. 

Feb 9, 2016 at 9:18 PM Post #2,420 of 4,844
Hello all,

Congratulations.
The SP is a nice tube IMO/IME matched with the right power/driver tubes but most don't really care for it but I like the warmth that it adds to my RS1i. Buy a Brimar 5Z4G from (HERE) under "common valves" is an excellent tube for the price/performance ratio. Also the United Electric USAF-596 is an excellent tube which is sometimes hard to come across being it is out of production. The 596 also requires an adapter to use with the WA6 which you can purchase from @2359glenn. PM him and ask if he will make you one.

Feb 9, 2016 at 10:02 PM Post #2,421 of 4,844
Congratulations.
The SP is a nice tube IMO/IME matched with the right power/driver tubes but most don't really care for it but I like the warmth that it adds to my RS1i. Buy a Brimar 5Z4G from [COLOR=FF0000](HERE)[/COLOR] under "common valves" is an excellent tube for the price/performance ratio. Also the United Electric USAF-596 is an excellent tube which is sometimes hard to come across being it is out of production. The 596 also requires an adapter to use with the WA6 which you can purchase from @2359glenn
. PM him and ask if he will make you one.

Thank you so much!! Do you know how long shipping takes to the US from the site you listed?

Feb 11, 2016 at 3:24 PM Post #2,423 of 4,844
I just recently got into headphones, music was always played through speakers. With a little one on the way, I ventured down the next hole. I have two sets of cans now, HD650 and Focal Spirit classics. I recently bought the WA6(December sometime), then I found a used WA6SE with the Sophia already. I jumped on that! So I have some playing to do!

I would agree that the two are similar in sound characteristics, but SE does it with more power and does slightly sound better all around. But that is with limited comparing at the moment.

I will post some pictures once I get past the hump on posts.

Thanks for the great reading folks!

Feb 11, 2016 at 4:12 PM Post #2,427 of 4,844
Your welcome.
beerchug.gif

Feb 11, 2016 at 11:26 PM Post #2,428 of 4,844

WA6SE shipped and should arrive next week. Yay! A Tube noob here.  I understand it will take 150+ hours for amp break-in, but I seem to have missed a suggested time frame concerning tube break-in.  If it is a lesser time, this will be a good opportunity to break-in stock tubes and also alternatives.  Any ideas on tube break-in times?  Thanks.

Feb 11, 2016 at 11:36 PM Post #2,429 of 4,844

WA6SE shipped and should arrive next week. Yay! A Tube noob here.  I understand it will take 150+ hours for amp break-in, but I seem to have missed a suggested time frame concerning tube break-in.  If it is a lesser time, this will be a good opportunity to break-in stock tubes and also alternatives.  Any ideas on tube break-in times?  Thanks.

Congratulations.
Pretty much depends on the tube.
Tubes I've used in my WA6 have taken anywhere between 40-100+hrs but I'm sure there are others that take longer.

Feb 12, 2016 at 12:28 AM Post #2,430 of 4,844
  Congratulations.
Pretty much depends on the tube.
Tubes I've used in my WA6 have taken anywhere between 40-100+hrs but I'm sure there are others that take longer.

Thank you. It is important to have proper expectations and I appreciate your response.   Think I will get the Brimar 5Z4G you suggested to someone else and with the break-in times, it may be a couple of months for best results.  Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back