Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice
Dec 23, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #2,401 of 4,839
Last night I received some NOS 6FD7 (Big Bottles) from Woo and paired them with the SP-274B (which most don't care for) and I must say, with my WA6/RS1i this combo sounds the fullest/richest just with slightly less detail/sound-stage, but has more the 6FD7's have more power than any of my other power/driver tubes, and I'm really enjoying it! One thing though…my transformer was humming/buzzing last night and the amp runs warmer than usual, so I cleaned all the pins with Deoxit on all of the tubes and put them back in a little while ago, and initially still had noise but only for a short time…now I'm glad to say the transformer is dead silent.
Regardless of what others may say about the SP-274B I think it is a nice sounding rectifier tube with the right power/driver tubes and the RS1i.
beerchug.gif

Jan 7, 2016 at 6:51 AM Post #2,402 of 4,839
I think I'm going to pull the trigger on a HE560. Do you guys have any experience with wa6se and He560 pairing? Would it work ok?

Jan 8, 2016 at 1:28 PM Post #2,403 of 4,839
  I think I'm going to pull the trigger on a HE560. Do you guys have any experience with wa6se and He560 pairing? Would it work ok?

Yes, exceptional pairing.

Jan 26, 2016 at 3:15 PM Post #2,407 of 4,839
Mikeral:

Read through this page;

http://www.wooaudio.com/faq/

It has some troubleshooting tips for noise. I don't know about hiss, but for hum it has some helpful suggestions. I know in my current apartment, I have a lot of noise from one particular outlet - moved the amp to a different outlet, and the noise has been basically eliminated at all but the highest volumes. Initial check is to simply unplug your source and listen to see if the noise is still there.

Jan 26, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #2,408 of 4,839
EDIT: This question is in regards to my 2007 WA6.

One question - I saw a few people mentioned something about PDSD a few pages back, and how that was a feature that was included in all 09+ models. I have an 07 model, so I am assuming I don't have this...But what exactly is this acronym referring to?

Feb 3, 2016 at 1:42 AM Post #2,409 of 4,839
  EDIT: This question is in regards to my 2007 WA6.

One question - I saw a few people mentioned something about PDSD a few pages back, and how that was a feature that was included in all 09+ models. I have an 07 model, so I am assuming I don't have this...But what exactly is this acronym referring to?

I think you are referring to PDPS.

PDPS - Pseudo-Dual Power Supply upgrade was incorporated into all WA6 amps built 2009 and later.

Pre-2009 WA6, it was an option.  I suggest you email woo audio with your serial number.  They will tell if the PDPS was factory installed.

Feb 6, 2016 at 10:40 AM Post #2,410 of 4,839
I think you are referring to PDPS.

PDPS - Pseudo-Dual Power Supply upgrade was incorporated into all WA6 amps built 2009 and later.

Pre-2009 WA6, it was an option.  I suggest you email woo audio with your serial number.  They will tell if the PDPS was factory installed.

Thanks. Anyone have an opinion on this option? Ignorance can be bliss!

Feb 6, 2016 at 1:26 PM Post #2,411 of 4,839
Thanks. Anyone have an opinion on this option? Ignorance can be bliss!

I own a newer WA6 that came with the feature and claim no technical knowledge - but people used to pay extra for PDPS and Jack seems to have a solid record for improving his products so it must be better. No? Maybe someone from Woo will chip in and inform their WA6 fan base.

Feb 6, 2016 at 5:06 PM Post #2,412 of 4,839

I own a newer WA6 that came with the feature and claim no technical knowledge - but people used to pay extra for PDPS and Jack seems to have a solid record for improving his products so it must be better. No? Maybe someone from Woo will chip in and inform their WA6 fan base.

all wa6 built after 2009 has PDPS (Pseudo-dual power supply).

Feb 8, 2016 at 9:27 PM Post #2,414 of 4,839
HiFiGuy528:

Thanks. 

Do you have any very general comments on the rationale/thought process behind the PDPS? I know you probably don't want to say too much, but I am just generally interested. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back