Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice
Dec 14, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #2,387 of 4,873
Hi Forum,

Sorry to jump in. I just got my WA6SE less than a week ago and boy am I totally smitten. Thank you all, as your comments encouraged me to make the purchase.

My question is, I am thinking of buying a turntable because I've discovered a huge record collection in the apartment I am renting, and i want to know the best way to link said turntable to the WA6SE?

I presume that I'll need to add a phono stage between the turntable and the WA6SE but am concerned that by doing so I'll be adding solid state sound into the signal. Does it matter which phono stage I use?

Any advice welcome

Vinyl's sonic presentation is always a combination of turntable/tonearm, cartridge (including proper setup), phono stage, and the vinyl itself. If you're starting from scratch, you could get a basic tt with premounted cartridge ($300ish), and a basic phono stage ($150ish), record cleaning misc, and see how much fun (or not) you find it to be.

Then if you really like it, you can decide to spend all your disposable income on upgrades from there. :wink:

Dec 17, 2015 at 2:59 AM Post #2,388 of 4,873
I'm seriously thinking of picking up the 6SE for my Ethers, but a search on this forum turns up blank. 

Anybody here using Ethers? Just curious. This will be my first tube amp. Want to save up for the WA5 if I like the sound. 

Thx. 

Dec 17, 2015 at 5:46 AM Post #2,389 of 4,873
Dec 17, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #2,391 of 4,873
  I'm seriously thinking of picking up the 6SE for my Ethers, but a search on this forum turns up blank. 

Anybody here using Ethers? Just curious. This will be my first tube amp. Want to save up for the WA5 if I like the sound. 

Thx. 

I have a 6SE. I listened to the Ether and Ether-C on a WA5 and I thought it sounded great. Overall the 6SE is a great amp, drives everything I have well. If possible try to get a demo its the best way to see if the sound sig is for you. A lot too is going to be dependant on the tubes in the amp as well. So hard to say since everyone's ear is different but that is the fun with rolling tubes. Might want to start with a less costly tube amp and roll to your liking.

Dec 17, 2015 at 8:03 PM Post #2,393 of 4,873

I have a 6SE. I listened to the Ether and Ether-C on a WA5 and I thought it sounded great. Overall the 6SE is a great amp, drives everything I have well. If possible try to get a demo its the best way to see if the sound sig is for you. A lot too is going to be dependant on the tubes in the amp as well. So hard to say since everyone's ear is different but that is the fun with rolling tubes. Might want to start with a less costly tube amp and roll to your liking.

Yeah, I'd love to demo one. I live in Japan, so that's kinda hard. :)

I really have some techno-lust going on for the 6SE and the WA5, and in my experience buying a cheapo tube amp won't solve anything either way. Either I like it, in which case I will go ahead and get the 6SE and the money will have been wasted, or I don't like it, and think, well, maybe it just wasn't up to the 6SE, and my money will still have been wasted. I have to admit, the new Schiit Vali 2 looks tempting, though. 

The thing that does potentially turn me off, reading this forum, is the uncertainty about tubes. Tube X sucks! Tube X is great! Tube X is a waste of money! Tube X is such a bargain. I like the idea of tube rolling to experiment with sound, but it also seems to have the potential of just never making you happy with your rig and injecting huge amounts of uncertainty about everything. 

Dec 19, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #2,394 of 4,873
Hello Friends,

I'm a long time happy owner of a upgraded wa6se.. My headphones are Akg 702s.

I have been with this same gear for about 5 years, enjoying my gear. I'm not really into tube rolling, or buying/selling/trying a lot of new gear. After a long time with this set up, I just feel like I would like to try a new set of headphones. 

Few years ago, Dubstep girl said I should also try He-500..Then I moved, got a new job..etc..and never got a chance to try the He 500. 

Can you give me some advice on a new pair of headphones, which I can be happy with for at least another 5 years?? Here is what I like:

I'm a jazz drummer, and my wife is a classical bassist. I would like to hear very clear cymbals, and she would like to hear very clear, detailed bass. We listen to acoustic music only, jazz and classical. We are looking for most clear, detailed neutral headphone possible.

We will keep the same wa6se ofcourse!

Dec 19, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #2,395 of 4,873
  Hello Friends,

I have been with this same gear for about 5 years, enjoying my gear. I'm not really into tube rolling, or buying/selling/trying a lot of new gear. After a long time with this set up, I just feel like I would like to try a new set of headphones. 

Few years ago, Dubstep girl said I should also try He-500..Then I moved, got a new job..etc..and never got a chance to try the He 500. 

Can you give me some advice on a new pair of headphones, which I can be happy with for at least another 5 years?? Here is what I like:

I'm a jazz drummer, and my wife is a classical bassist. I would like to hear very clear cymbals, and she would like to hear very clear, detailed bass. We listen to acoustic music only, jazz and classical. We are looking for most clear, detailed neutral headphone possible.

Grado GH-1 with (G) cushions.
Grado PS-1000e.

Dec 19, 2015 at 7:04 PM Post #2,396 of 4,873
Hello Friends,

What's your budget? Think that will drive the recommendations. No budgets aside I think HE560 would be good on the cheaper end. Lcd-x, ether or ether-c and the hex or hek would be good

Dec 20, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #2,397 of 4,873
He560 looks great but it's little stretching my budget. I was thinking more $500 dollars. Maybe that is not enough to upgrade from my 702s?

Dec 20, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #2,398 of 4,873
He560 looks great but it's little stretching my budget. I was thinking more $500 dollars. Maybe that is not enough to upgrade from my 702s?

560 is imo probably a significant upgrade. You can find a nice used one here for 500 or so. Shameless plug im selling my pair so if your considering it let me know

If that's stretching 400i gets you most of the 560 for less. Good deals to be had here on the forum as well.

Dec 21, 2015 at 6:02 AM Post #2,399 of 4,873
Thanks joseph69 and bfreedma:

I managed to grab a supposedly matched pair off eBay, and the last matched pair off Tube World Express!  Hopefully they work out well otherwise will buy from Woo.

Quote:
  From Woo Audio.

Tube World Express. They still seem to be in stock at a lower price than Woo. My first pair of 6fd7s was purchased from Woo Audio.

Dec 22, 2015 at 2:57 PM Post #2,400 of 4,873
Looking for some input from WA6 owners in driving low impedance phones (24-70 ohms) TH900, JVC DX1000 and Senn HD 380pro. The highest I have is Beyer DT-150 at 250 Ohms.

WA6-SE is obviously the one but is expensive and space for 2 piece design is not feasible for my needs. I will go NOS 6SN7 tubes route as my primary amp has the same tubes.

I did probe at other 6SN7 amps (Ember II and Icon Audio HP8 MK2) but there is potential issue with noise floor for TH900.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back