Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice
Aug 9, 2015 at 12:32 PM Post #2,221 of 4,839
Can someone please help me? Will the Mullard ecc32 drop in to the Wa6 with the normal 6Sn7adapter?
Or another adapter or will it not work at all?

Aug 9, 2015 at 2:14 PM Post #2,224 of 4,839
I would probably talk to Glenn about that one. I know the ecc32 draws more current than a 6sn7, so they are not normally a 'drop in' replacement, but some components are designed to be able to handle it.

some tube compatibility info from woo isn't exactly accurate, it's not technically wrong either, but you do not generally get complete answers from them. For instance the 6f8g, technically no it's not compatible with the 6 series amps, but with an adapter it works just fine, even with the SE.

Aug 9, 2015 at 2:22 PM Post #2,225 of 4,839
I would probably talk to Glenn about that one. I know the ecc32 draws more current than a 6sn7, so they are not normally a 'drop in' replacement, but some components are designed to be able to handle it.

some tube compatibility info from woo isn't exactly accurate, it's not technically wrong either, but you do not generally get complete answers from them. For instance the 6f8g, technically no it's not compatible with the 6 series amps, but with an adapter it works just fine, even with the SE.

Thanks. I'll reach out to 2359glenn

Aug 10, 2015 at 6:28 AM Post #2,228 of 4,839
Aug 10, 2015 at 6:55 AM Post #2,229 of 4,839
So far, really enjoying the WA6 with my Beyer T90's. Moving up from my Darkvoice 336i, I notice more drive and detail. That was expected, of course, being output transformer coupled and all. But what I didn't expect, was that the smoothness of the OTL Darkvoice was still there. I bought the Woo used, and it arrived with a Russian rectifier and a pair of GE 6FD7's. I had a Brimar 5z4g and a Hytron 5aw4 rectifier waiting in the wings along with a pair of TungSol 6F8G's as well. I decided to listen for a while with the supplied tubes. What I heard was surprisingly like the Darkvoice! Nice enough tone, but not as dynamic as I had expected. So, out went the Russian rectifier, and in went the Brimar. Now we're talking. Deep bass, drive, dynamics all improved. Smooth top end, but does not seem to be missing any obvious details. Deep, wide soundstage. Beautiful midrange. Voices sound terrific. But I have the 5aw4 sitting around, so I had to try that of course. What a nice tube that is. More drive and dynamics than the Brimar. Bass as deep, but faster. Highs more extended, but not quite as smooth as the Brimar. Not always a bad thing. Midrange, maybe not as smooth as the Brit tube, but still detailed as all get out. So far, loving this amp! My 6F8G adapters are due in today. So more to come later.

Aug 10, 2015 at 9:54 PM Post #2,230 of 4,839
Highly recommend this rectifier
http://tubeworldexpress.com/products/1641-rectifier
Very close to the 596!!!
Also Woo audio got back to me also on the ecc32 Drivers

"Hi Joe,

Hope you had a lovely weekend.  The ECC32 is similar to 6SN7 so it will work on WA6 with 6SN7 —> 6DE7 adaptors.  see attached pic.  The cost for the adaptor is $80 pair + $5 shipping within CONUS.

To order, please send a Pay Pal payment to orders@wooaudio.com and reference the following in the “Add a Note” section.

“6SN7 —> 6DE7 adaptor for WA6"

Thank you for choosing Woo Audio.  Please don’t hesitate to call or email us if you have additional questions or concerns using your Woo Audio product.  We’re here to help.  :)"

Aug 10, 2015 at 10:17 PM Post #2,231 of 4,839
@3083joe, the R-K 60 looks similar in construction to the 596, but does it sound as good?

Aug 10, 2015 at 10:27 PM Post #2,232 of 4,839
@3083joe, the R-K 60 looks similar in construction to the 596, but does it sound as good?

Very Similar. I like it better because it seems a little bit warmer on mids/voices.

Dubstep girls review of them
"Made by Raytheon (and also General Electronics as well as a few others), this tube is similar to the 596 and the 5U4G/5U4GB. Construction is similar but instead of little pins sticking out, its buttons. Like the 596, this tube is a very solid performer and it really doesn't do anything wrong. Bass extension is slightly less but similar. Treble is smooth, clean, and extended at the same time. The midrange is slightly warmer than the 596 but remains somewhat the same. Soundstage and imaging are above average and while not amazing and holographic, are decent. Tone and timbre are nice and tubey with a euphonic warmth. Clarity and detail are good as well as transparency. There is a little bit of grain at times since the decay isn't as liquid or clean as with the more expensive tubes, but there isn't any hardness or grit as you would find with lesser tubes of this price. Resolution is above average but not the best. Bass texture could be slightly better as well as midrange detail, the warmth kind of takes away from it. This tube isn't overly lush like the GZ37 or even the EML, but its more than the 596. A nice tube overall especially for the price. This tube is getting rarer but prices are still under $40 per tube (sometimes even 10-15$ per tube!) and it is easier to find than the 596. A great bargain tube and certainly better than most! Comes close to 596 performance and some might even prefer this tube over it."

Aug 10, 2015 at 11:26 PM Post #2,233 of 4,839
Very Similar. I like it better because it seems a little bit warmer on mids/voices.

Thanks for the thorough description of the R-K60…good to have another choice of rectifier tube for the WA6.
beerchug.gif

Aug 11, 2015 at 8:00 AM Post #2,234 of 4,839
Almost as good as a 596 ($150.00-$200.00) for peannuts  ($10.00 $15.00)for an RK60 tube , got a bunch of those , with Glenn's RK60 adapter of course                             

Users who are viewing this thread

Back