Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice
May 3, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #2,102 of 4,839
I wasn't loving my WA6 as much as I did originally lately. It just wasn't doing it for me sonically, and I was about to sell it. (HD600 exclusively)

Then based on this thread I switched from a Sylvania 5V4GA rectifier to the Brimar. 

It sounds much much better. At least it can keep up with my simple NAD integrated, which was beating it out before to my ears. I might be more of a SS fan really, but I love the tube look and I am starting to enjoy my WA6 a lot more now.

Next up is changing out the driver tubes. I have generic RCA 6DE7 drivers. Where do you all recommend I start? 

May 3, 2015 at 7:44 PM Post #2,104 of 4,839
If you are going to stick with the 6DE7 drivers, I know skylab several times has said that the fat bottles sound pretty good, and are very inexpensive to boot. If you want to take it further, you'll need adapters to go to either 6SN7 or 6F8G. Woo makes the 6DE7-->6SN7 adapter, as does Glenn. Glenn will also make a 6DE7-->6F8G adapter. 6SN7-->6F8G adapters are available on ebay, and many of us have found them to be just fine.

As for tubes, once you have access to the 6SN7 tube, start looking into the 6SN7 threads. There is a reference thread with descriptions of almost all the main 6SN7 tubes, very helpful. The best are the Tung Sol round plates, both in 6SN7 and 6F8G. Also, the National Union 6F8G are great. RCA grey glass are pretty good and cheap, I found the Melz 6H8C to be quite good and neutral, if a bit harsh maybe.

There is a whole world out there of driver tubes that work well with the WA6. 7N7 is another tube I wish more people had commented on, those seem to be pretty cheap.

For rectifiers, the rectifier thread by dubstep girl is pretty accurate. You want to start with the Brimar 5Z4G, it is inexpensive and very good. After that, you have to spend big bucks to get any better. Personally, I went for a U52, of which there is quite a bit of variation, but all of them are very good. I am extremely happy. The 596 also has a good supporter base here, though that requires an adapter.

May 3, 2015 at 9:57 PM Post #2,105 of 4,839
I was looking into that rectifier, like you stated, seems to be an excellent choice for the money. I also have a sophia rectifier, came with the amp. Also I have another set of those little tubes, 6dr7 (Sylvania and Westinghouse) and Tronix 6em7.

May 3, 2015 at 11:02 PM Post #2,106 of 4,839
To my ears, I love the sound of 596 and 6fd7 (got from woo audio). I happened to find this gentleman in eBay who sold me a great 596 and it was a game changer for me. Now I am listening 596 and 6sn7 ( Sophia). I should have my brimar 5z4 this week and according to this forum, this should be really good with 6sn7. Will see.
All of the suggestions in this forum have been great although you have to try them to find a "perfect" match for you. I initially got Sophia 274 and I liked the sound with 6dr7 that shipped with wa6. After hearing 596, I think it will stay in the box for a while.
It has been an unwarranted spending spree for about two three weeks but I am glad to find an ideal sweet sound spot for me. Very happy.

Now I am searching for aftermarket cable for my hd700....

May 3, 2015 at 11:21 PM Post #2,107 of 4,839
  I wasn't loving my WA6 as much as I did originally lately. It just wasn't doing it for me sonically, and I was about to sell it.

The WA6 is my end game tube amp.
Without a doubt change the rectifier/driver tube/s and it will make a world of difference.
As @Porteroso said, try to get your hands on a UE-596 and either some 6SN7/6F8G tubes.
I use these combos in mine with my RS1i's (exclusivly) and like I said its definitely my end game tube amp. I also have the Brimar which is an excellent tube, especially at its cost. I also enjoy my Sophia Princess too, although there are some who don't care for it, but too each his own.
Don't give up on the WA6…you need to roll tubes to find the best synergy for your HD-600's!

Jun 5, 2015 at 1:02 AM Post #2,111 of 4,839
You could ask, but I do not think that Woo ships fat bottles. They would designate them as "fat bottles" if they were. They are actually not so easy to get ahold of anymore. But they do sound good, and you don't need adapters, which is pretty great.

Jun 5, 2015 at 7:48 AM Post #2,112 of 4,839
  You could ask, but I do not think that Woo ships fat bottles. They would designate them as "fat bottles" if they were. They are actually not so easy to get ahold of anymore. But they do sound good, and you don't need adapters, which is pretty great.

Thanks - will look around then...

Actually, the Woo website lists:

Drive/Power tube option 2:
1 matched pair 6FD7 $52 (2 pcs)
Clear top, big bottle. 6FD7 is a direct replacement for a 6DE7. Buy and ship independently.

...which means I've got a pair. Off to roll them in immediately!

Jun 5, 2015 at 9:41 AM Post #2,113 of 4,839
  Thanks - will look around then...
Actually, the Woo website lists:
Drive/Power tube option 2:
1 matched pair 6FD7 $52 (2 pcs)
Clear top, big bottle. 6FD7 is a direct replacement for a 6DE7. Buy and ship independently.
...which means I've got a pair. Off to roll them in immediately!

Oh, so you ordered option 2 from Woo when you purchased your amp?
If so, those are the tubes I was talking about…let us know what you think about them.

Jun 5, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #2,114 of 4,839

Yes, I did - sorry I wasn't very clear! I've got the stock 6DE7s, of course, and a pair of Tronix 6EM7s cos they were cheap and I fancied giving them a try. Out of those, the 6FD7s are unquestionably the best, but I just wondered if there was something out there that I was missing out on! Perhaps not!

Love my 6SE, though I am a bit jealous of all you 6 owners with your 6SN7s!

Jun 5, 2015 at 11:04 PM Post #2,115 of 4,839
  Love my 6SE, though I am a bit jealous of all you 6 owners with your 6SN7s!

Funny, I sold my first WA6 to buy the 6-SE and was disappointed with its sound and tube rolling options, so I sold it and bought another WA6 and couldn't be happier.

BTW, Glenn makes adapters for the 6-SE to accept 6SN7 tubes again…at the time I owned my 6-SE he wasn't making them. So don't be jealous, you can use them in the 6-SE thanks too Glenn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back