Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice
Mar 20, 2015 at 9:42 PM Post #2,026 of 4,839
I decided to put my extra WA22 tubes to use in a WA6 for my vinyl rig. Jack installed an extra RCA input with a toggle switch, allowing me to toggle between my phono preamp and zone 2 of my AVR. After a few hours, I'm thrilled with the WA6. I've used a Lyr and a Mjolnir in this system, and I prefer the WA6 to them both.

I did have a ground loop between the WA6 and the AVR -- plugging the WA6 in to an isolation transformer solved that issue.

Sadly, the Sophia Princess rectifier doesn't fit with the Sophia 6SN7s installed. I'm running a Brimar 5Z4GY instead, though I'm hoping the Sophia will fit with a socket saver.

Mar 21, 2015 at 9:17 AM Post #2,027 of 4,839
I decided to put my extra WA22 tubes to use in a WA6 for my vinyl rig. Jack installed an extra RCA input with a toggle switch, allowing me to toggle between my phono preamp and zone 2 of my AVR. After a few hours, I'm thrilled with the WA6. I've used a Lyr and a Mjolnir in this system, and I prefer the WA6 to them both.

I did have a ground loop between the WA6 and the AVR -- plugging the WA6 in to an isolation transformer solved that issue.

Sadly, the Sophia Princess rectifier doesn't fit with the Sophia 6SN7s installed. I'm running a Brimar 5Z4GY instead, though I'm hoping the Sophia will fit with a socket saver.

The Sophia Princess 274B and the SE 6SN7's sound like mud together in a WA6. I also run Sophia Electric 6SN7's in my WA6 w/ the "Mighty" 596 and I really like that combo a lot. How do they sound in yours with the Brimar GZ34?

Mar 23, 2015 at 3:15 AM Post #2,029 of 4,839
Hey all, how does the WA6 compare to Lyr 2?

My Lyr 2 is great but is definitely beaten by my WA6-SE, which is of course much more expensive. The WA6 is much closer in price and probably the SQ difference will be less, but I still think it would beat the Lyr 2. If you don't need the extra power and want the full tube experience, go Woo for sure.

Mar 23, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #2,030 of 4,839
Thanks for your input.

Is the difference due to stock tubes? Or is it because WA6SE produce superior tube sound over Lyr 2, over the same set of tubes on both?
What's the difference that made you feel it's superior?

From what I have read, in terms of power, WA6<Lyr 2<WA6SE. How does that extra margin of power make the difference when I am not using power hungry planar headphones?

Thanks for any further inputs.

Mar 23, 2015 at 4:44 PM Post #2,031 of 4,839
I received the NU-6F8G's today!
Also placed an order for 6DE7>6F8G adapters from Glenn…then I can listen too them, can't wait too hear them! 
smile.gif

Mar 23, 2015 at 6:45 PM Post #2,032 of 4,839

IGF, I just received a Brimar 5Z4GY rectifier tube from joseph69 today and it sounds great. At first I thought I was looking at my amp. Brimar rec paired the SE 6SN7's makes for a nice sonic flavour.

Mar 23, 2015 at 8:00 PM Post #2,033 of 4,839
  Thanks for your input.

Is the difference due to stock tubes? Or is it because WA6SE produce superior tube sound over Lyr 2, over the same set of tubes on both?
What's the difference that made you feel it's superior?

From what I have read, in terms of power, WA6<Lyr 2<WA6SE. How does that extra margin of power make the difference when I am not using power hungry planar headphones?

Thanks for any further inputs.

The Woos have both full tube rectification and amplification, the Lyr 2 is a hybrid. I think being fully tubed gives the Woos a more holographic and a less "solid-state" sound. (Also, the Lyr 2 uses different types of tubes than the Woos anyways, so you can't make that type of comparison.) Regarding power, if you don't own a planar or other power-hungry headphone, you really don't need the power, period. In that case the WA6 might be best for your budget.

Mar 23, 2015 at 10:57 PM Post #2,040 of 4,839
I got my Brimar 5Z4GY today also. Time for the princess to go set in her box. Wow!!! Incredible upgrade from the Sophia. I can't imagine what a U52 or 422a can do paired with my 6sn7 triple hole Bad Boys.

Anyone else enjoy upgraded power cables in there woo 6. I THINK I noticed a huge difference in silent background once installed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back