Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice
Feb 15, 2015 at 1:20 AM Post #1,966 of 4,839
Hi All,

Feel like I'm having some issues with my headphone input on my WA6. 
I am plugging my HE-500 into the jack and all is well. After a few minutes however, the sound on the left side of the headphone starts to cut out slightly and sounds a little but muffled. I'm sure it isn't the headphones as I have plugged them into a few other amps and they have been perfect for extended listens. 

Has anyone experience this at all? Or have any ideas?

Thanks

Feb 15, 2015 at 1:26 AM Post #1,967 of 4,839
  Hi All,

I am plugging my HE-500 into the jack and all is well. After a few minutes however, the sound on the left side of the headphone starts to cut out slightly and sounds a little but muffled. I'm sure it isn't the headphones as I have plugged them into a few other amps and they have been perfect for extended listens. 

Thanks

1. Try a different set of phones (even crap ones) to ensure it's your amp and not your phones/cable/connectors
2. Try different tubes or reseat them to ensure they're fully connected. I've had a similar experience to you when one of my driver tubes had a defect... particularly it was a pain because the issue only showed up when combined with certain tubes/rectifier combo + had to be running a certain amount of time before it could be heard

Feb 15, 2015 at 1:28 AM Post #1,968 of 4,839
  Hi All,

Thanks

Headphone output. 
smile.gif

Sound like a tube issue…switch the left tube with the right tubes and hear if it happens in the right channel.

Feb 15, 2015 at 11:56 AM Post #1,969 of 4,839

1. Try a different set of phones (even crap ones) to ensure it's your amp and not your phones/cable/connectors
2. Try different tubes or reseat them to ensure they're fully connected. I've had a similar experience to you when one of my driver tubes had a defect... particularly it was a pain because the issue only showed up when combined with certain tubes/rectifier combo + had to be running a certain amount of time before it could be heard

Quote:
  Headphone output. 
smile.gif

Sound like a tube issue…switch the left tube with the right tubes and hear if it happens in the right channel.

+ 1 +1  (y)

Feb 16, 2015 at 10:56 AM Post #1,970 of 4,839
Waiting for my Woo WA6SE with upgrade tubes to sophia princes and still indent for 6fd7

Feb 21, 2015 at 9:45 PM Post #1,971 of 4,839
Can a 5Y4G rectifier  be used in a WA6 

Feb 21, 2015 at 11:17 PM Post #1,973 of 4,839
So, I received my beautiful black WA6 on Monday. I was expecting it to take weeks, but it took five days from the day that I ordered until I received it. No buyer's remorse at all, I love this thing with my HD650.

The only problem is that I'm stuck with the stock tubes. I ordered a Brimar from Langrex the day that I ordered my amp. To anyone else in the US who ordered from them, roughly how long did it take to receive it? Did you ever receive a shipping confirmation? I never received anything from them after the payment confirmation. Not sure if I should email them or not.

Also, regarding drive/power tubes, I'm interested in trying out some different ones. I'm particularly interested in the 6SN7 tubes after reading through this thread. Does anyone have experience with the option 3 offered in Woo's store for the 6SN7GT + adapters? 

This is my first tube amp, and a huge upgrade from my Magni. I already love it, and I can't wait to start messing with tubes, but it's confusing knowing where to start.

Feb 21, 2015 at 11:36 PM Post #1,974 of 4,839
  So, I received my beautiful black WA6 on Monday. I was expecting it to take weeks, but it took five days from the day that I ordered until I received it. No buyer's remorse at all, I love this thing with my HD650.

Congratulations on your WA6!
I ordered a Brimar 5Z4G from Langrex (no confirmation) and it was here (N.Y.) in 1 week!
The Brimar is an excellent value/tube! Don't bother buying the Woo 6SN7's, but I do recommend buying the 6DE7>6SN7 adapter from Woo (which you will need)…buy some NIB/NOS RCA/Sylvania 6SN7's from a reputable company or eBay. I bought all of mine from eBay. The combo of these tubes together is simply amazing…especially for the price of the Brimar. I also have the Sophia Princess/Phillips Mini-Watt GZ32 which I happen to like both also, but the Brimar is a better value. The Brimar is the only rectifier tube which comes close to my UE USAF-596 which are not too easy to come buy. 

Feb 21, 2015 at 11:58 PM Post #1,975 of 4,839
The only problem is that I'm stuck with the stock tubes. I ordered a Brimar from Langrex the day that I ordered my amp. To anyone else in the US who ordered from them, roughly how long did it take to receive it? Did you ever receive a shipping confirmation? I never received anything from them after the payment confirmation. Not sure if I should email them or not.

I ordered 5 tubes from Langrex on 2/11 and they were on my porch (Seattle area) 2/19. All were
nicely wrapped & in white boxes, and all tested excellent. No confirmation or tracking, however.

Feb 22, 2015 at 1:25 AM Post #1,976 of 4,839
I also picked up some Brimars, too much peer pressure! They are incredibly good for the price. If I didn't already have so many rectifiers I would have picked up a lot more than the four I did.

Feb 22, 2015 at 11:24 PM Post #1,977 of 4,839

Headphone output. 
smile.gif

Thanks for your help guys. Had about a week of testing and the issue mysteriously stopped. Will have to listen out for in the future now that I know some solutions.

Have another question. Has anyone hooked up a DAP to their amp at all? Wondering if my DX90 would be worth being the source and the WA6 the amp as a bedside rig.

Mar 8, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #1,980 of 4,839
  Does anyone have any recommendations on a dac for the Woo WA6 and HD650s at $500 or less?  I love the sound of my WA6 and don't want a dac that is going to change the sound very much.

This ones nice the headphone amp  is not all that good but the dac & preamp are --> https://emotiva.com/products/electronics/stealth-dc-1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back