Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice
Apr 16, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #1,382 of 4,839
Yes you're right, it increased the volume but not a huge amount. No harmful effects to the sound quality.

So was this the only sound difference (higher volume) that you heard with the high impedance?
From what I've also briefly read, if you don't (match) use the low impedance with low impedance headphones, you are over working the damping of the drivers for no reason, an there is less driver control…this is why I don't do this, or never even tried it. Also on the other hand there are debates about this, so I don't want to start one... but this is what I understood and stuck with it.

Apr 17, 2014 at 12:34 PM Post #1,384 of 4,839
So was this the only sound difference (higher volume) that you heard with the high impedance?
From what I've also briefly read, if you don't (match) use the low impedance with low impedance headphones, you are over working the damping of the drivers for no reason, an there is less driver control…this is why I don't do this, or never even tried it. Also on the other hand there are debates about this, so I don't want to start one... but this is what I understood and stuck with it.

I will switch it back today and see if there is any difference in the sound. Looking forward to getting the Mullard! Thanks for your insight.

Apr 17, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #1,386 of 4,839
try a different set of RCA cables on the amp.  A friend of mine had the same issue with his WA7 and sent it back to the mothership to find out it was his RCA cables.

Sounds like bad connection, but surprised that it's on both hi/lo Z jacks.  The tip of the headphone jack is left positive, so if you want to open the amp to check solder points.  

For safety before you open the amp, leave the amp plugged in while power's off so that all capacitors can be discharged.  I usually leave it for ~30 min for the caps to discharge.      

Thanks for the advice! I ended up disconnecting everything and swapping out the tubes. After I plugged everything back in, voila! Amp sounded great. Very happy especially since I'll be going to RSD this weekend and have a few serious listening sessions coming up.

Apr 18, 2014 at 2:43 PM Post #1,388 of 4,839
  $260 sounds about right for the metal GZ34.  $600-800? Might as well grab a WE422A,  But I can't see myself spending that much for a tube.  DG, good to see you're back, so quiet lately?

yeah, im still around but i'm much less active, mostly responding to the few threads i still like and PM's asking for advice, thats about it.

Apr 21, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #1,392 of 4,839
Sophia Electric 6SN7's arrived today.Now if only Jack Wu would just send me the 9 to 8 pin adapters.

Apr 21, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #1,394 of 4,839
Thanks joseph, it looks like brass or then again I've been wrong before.

Apr 21, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #1,395 of 4,839
Thanks joseph, it looks like brass or then again I've been wrong before.

Well what ever they are be sure too enjoy their sound, and let us know what you think of the 3 Sophia's together. I have the S/P but I use Sylvania 6SN7WGTA's, and out of all my rectifier/driver tube combos this gives me the nicest sound-stage and depth…but the Sophia's 6SN7's supposedly give even more!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back