Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice
Nov 3, 2021 at 8:10 AM Post #3,871 of 4,839
Not only did ‘lil Wooie WA6 get a SR Purple fuse but also a NIB Mullard GZ32 / CV593…more than ready for showtime!…5D776A77-136F-4DE0-8CF3-5D6A37ED515E.jpeg
Sweet tubes, and they look like a matching set with the brown bases.

Nov 3, 2021 at 8:31 AM Post #3,872 of 4,839
Sweet tubes, and they look like a matching set with the brown bases.
That is one of many fun aspects with tubes! When is the last time anyone remarked “that is a killer looking set of op amps”?…🤔🤷🏻😒

Nov 4, 2021 at 11:46 PM Post #3,873 of 4,839
…no op amp looks like this….Woo WA ‘Sixilla’…
1EAAB0EE-D39C-4ACD-BDF8-9EC34CA4F95D.jpeg

Nov 5, 2021 at 12:45 AM Post #3,874 of 4,839
I can say that between the insertion of the SR Purple fuse and the installation of a USAF 596 rectifier tube (with Woo Audio adapter) in the WA6, the dynamic range expansion and the lower bass extension is phenomenal. With this configuration and the 5692s, the WA6 is a fully and musically satisfying headphone amplifier.

Nov 5, 2021 at 12:53 AM Post #3,875 of 4,839
I can say that between the insertion of the SR Purple fuse and the installation of a USAF 596 rectifier tube (with Woo Audio adapter) in the WA6, the dynamic range expansion and the lower bass extension is phenomenal. With this configuration and the 5692s, the WA6 is a fully and musically satisfying headphone amplifier.

That's a great set of tubes you've got there! And the SR Purple fuse...I bet it's all sounding really good.

Nov 5, 2021 at 1:31 AM Post #3,876 of 4,839
That's a great set of tubes you've got there! And the SR Purple fuse...I bet it's all sounding really good.
It really is, thank you. I am > pleased as Punch with the WA6. I feel that the rank order of contribution to the WA6 ‘sound’ is: rectifier 45%, fuse 35%, driver tubes 20%. In a nutshell, everything matters. Between the WA6 now and the WA2 (w/ RFT + GEC tubes), I cannot see myself climbing the Woo ladder. I’ll settle for tube experimentation. 🎼😄

Nov 5, 2021 at 9:17 AM Post #3,877 of 4,839
It really is, thank you. I am > pleased as Punch with the WA6. I feel that the rank order of contribution to the WA6 ‘sound’ is: rectifier 45%, fuse 35%, driver tubes 20%. In a nutshell, everything matters. Between the WA6 now and the WA2 (w/ RFT + GEC tubes), I cannot see myself climbing the Woo ladder. I’ll settle for tube experimentation. 🎼😄
What a great place to be man! I am in a similar situation with my amps, and I am having a blast with some "tube experimentation" as well. We are both at the fun stage of the hobby no doubt. :beerchug:

Nov 5, 2021 at 1:15 PM Post #3,878 of 4,839
wow, i would not have guessed the fuse makes such a big impact on sound, even more than the driver tubes which is intriguing

Nov 5, 2021 at 1:40 PM Post #3,879 of 4,839
wow, i would not have guessed the fuse makes such a big impact on sound, even more than the driver tubes which is intriguing

I think one of the issues at hand, and why people forget or even dismiss the fuse upgrade is because it's hidden.

Big tubes that stare you in the face and memorize us at night with that warm glow are right in front of our eyes and mind. The little tiny fuse is tucked away, usually behind a little door or under the hood of the chassis somewhere. Out of sight out of mind.

I know that owners in this thread and in others have been posting about the positive impact of adding in a new high-end fuse. Specifically the newly released Synergistic Research Purple fuse. I buy into the hype and in the few months, I'll also order several new SRP to roll into my equipment. :k701smile:

Nov 5, 2021 at 4:04 PM Post #3,880 of 4,839
I will also say that the fuse is the “port of entry” for the electric current before it reaches the “innards” of the headphone amplifier. To the extent that the fuse can provide current surge protection without spurious energy or waveforms generated, the headphone amplifier “innards” will be powered cleanly and reliably. This, to my thinking, eases the task of a rectifier tube in the conversion of AC to DC. This, in turn, provides the rest of the h/p/a circuit with ‘higher quality’ DC which improves performance.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2021 at 5:59 PM Post #3,881 of 4,839
I will also say that the fuse is the “port of entry” for the electric current before it reaches the “innards” of the headphone amplifier. To the extent that the fuse can provide current surge protection without spurious energy or waveforms generated, the headphone amplifier “innards” will be powered cleanly and reliably. This, to my thinking, eases the task of a rectifier tube in the conversion of AC to DC. This, in turn, provides the rest of the h/p/a circuit with ‘higher quality’ DC which improves performance.
I might be willing to give it a go if it wasn't a fuse... something designed to be a weak point that fails first, and in this case costs $200. If you get fuses for life if it blows, that could be more palatable.

Nov 5, 2021 at 8:14 PM Post #3,882 of 4,839
I might be willing to give it a go if it wasn't a fuse... something designed to be a weak point that fails first, and in this case costs $200. If you get fuses for life if it blows, that could be more palatable.
…Better that a $200 fuse ‘goes’ than a $XXXX h/p/a ‘goes’ - and in the meantime, improved sound is had…

Nov 5, 2021 at 8:24 PM Post #3,883 of 4,839
…Better that a $200 fuse ‘goes’ than a $XXXX h/p/a ‘goes’ - and in the meantime, improved sound is had…

Agreed.

Let's take it a step further. Why do we invest in surge protection? Because power is in a constant state of flux. We can try to control it but it can an will do what it wants whenever it wants.

So we mitigate and attempt to manage our losses. I'm with @jonathan c , better a fancy fuse then an expensive amp loaded up with expensive NOS tubes and our prized headphones.

Nov 5, 2021 at 8:29 PM Post #3,884 of 4,839
Agreed.

Let's take it a step further. Why do we invest in surge protection? Because power is in a constant state of flux. We can try to control it but it can an will do what it wants whenever it wants.

So we mitigate and attempt to manage our losses. I'm with @jonathan c , better a fancy fuse then an expensive amp loaded up with expensive NOS tubes and our prized headphones.
I guess I'm just having trouble wrapping my head around the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back