Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice
Jun 10, 2019 at 8:02 PM Post #3,169 of 4,838
What kind of changes do you see by changing the rectifier?

I have the sophia as stock with 6FD7...the brimar 5z4 more bass, slightly smaller soundstage but the mullard GZ34 add a bit more punch than the brimar 5z4, its not obnoxious bass, its very satisfying punch, this is coming from a guy who doesnt like bass, the soundstage is probaly as wide as the sophia, I have a 1939 RCA 5u4g coming in.

There is a slight change in mid between changing the power tube...with Sylvia the mid are more upfront, the Westinghouse give a recessed mid, with wider separation in soundstage (or may be a perception since the mid is recessed) but it blends very well, I like it with my HD820. the Sylvania 6EW7 is really good with my Beyer T1 (1st gen).

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2019 at 8:22 PM Post #3,170 of 4,838
I have the sophia as stock with 6FD7...the brimar 5z4 more bass, slightly smaller soundstage but the mullard GZ34 add a bit more punch than the brimar 5z4, its not obnoxious bass, its very satisfying punch, this is coming from a guy who doesnt like bass, the soundstage is probaly as wide as the sophia, I have a 1939 RCA 5u4g coming in.
Very cool. Millard GZ34 is one of my top rectifier choices for WA6. Hope you enjoy RCA 5U4G as well. I have only listened with RCA 5U4GB version but they do sound good with various driver tubes that I have. If you can find 596, that is also very good especially with 6FD7 at least for my ears.

Jun 10, 2019 at 8:28 PM Post #3,171 of 4,838
Very cool. Millard GZ34 is one of my top rectifier choices for WA6. Hope you enjoy RCA 5U4G as well. I have only listened with RCA 5U4GB version but they do sound good with various driver tubes that I have. If you can find 596, that is also very good especially with 6FD7 at least for my ears.

not worth the price...

Jun 23, 2019 at 8:31 AM Post #3,172 of 4,838
I have had my wa6 2nd Gen for over a year now and would like to try some tube rolling but not sure where to start. I upgraded to the SP and 13EM7 with adapters when I bought it but would like to fix the following issues

The top end can be a but hard sometimes, especially with loud vocals or when the music get complicated
Although the bass is very detailed I would like a little bit more depth/presence.

I'm using a pair of AKG Q701 with the bass mod which I know aren't known for forward bass but I love these headphones so I would rather keep them.

Thanks for reading
20190623_080247.jpg

Jun 23, 2019 at 1:11 PM Post #3,173 of 4,838
I have had my wa6 2nd Gen for over a year now and would like to try some tube rolling but not sure where to start. I upgraded to the SP and 13EM7 with adapters when I bought it but would like to fix the following issues

The top end can be a but hard sometimes, especially with loud vocals or when the music get complicated
Although the bass is very detailed I would like a little bit more depth/presence.

I'm using a pair of AKG Q701 with the bass mod which I know aren't known for forward bass but I love these headphones so I would rather keep them.

Thanks for reading

How about trying some RCA 13EM7s? In the 1st gen WA6SE, the RCA 6EM7s sounds softer up top compared to the GE and Sylvanias.

Jun 24, 2019 at 6:53 AM Post #3,178 of 4,838
I never said I own a WA6SE, I have a WA6 2nd generation. Does that mean your recommendation would not work on my amp?

As far as I know, all tubes that work for the WA6SE work on the WA6.
The difference between 1st and 2nd generation is that the 1st generation uses 6volts vacuum tubes while 2nd gen uses 13volt ones.
If you take a look at the manual in woo’s page you’ll be able to see all suportes tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back