Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice
Apr 26, 2019 at 9:03 AM Post #3,121 of 4,839
Hi folks,

Any suggestions for tubes on the budget side of things? I dont want to spend a few hundreds for tubes. :-/ I can spend around 150$ for the tubes but not more than that. (This is for the driver tube; for rectifier I have the handy guide from dubstepgirl which is awesome :))

Also should I upgrade rectifier or driver tubes first?

Do you have a first gen? I have a 1g 6SE and I really enjoy the sound of the 6FD7 fat bottle tubes. Look for Sylvania or RCA.

ScJUkqz.jpg

Apr 28, 2019 at 12:49 PM Post #3,125 of 4,839
Since it's the only place where I can find them, It's the only way. But Woo's price are a bit too high. I'd like to find somewhere else for about 70~100/pair.

I've had good experiences with thetubestore.com. Pairs also show up on Ebay frequently for $40-$50 for NOS.

Woo has gotten awfully expensive in the last year.

Apr 28, 2019 at 1:28 PM Post #3,126 of 4,839
I've had good experiences with thetubestore.com. Pairs also show up on Ebay frequently for $40-$50 for NOS.

Woo has gotten awfully expensive in the last year.
I'm somehow afraid of e-bay, as I've read good but awfull stuff there. And as I live outside USA, returning an item is not exactly an easy task.
I've seend 6fd7 on the website you mention, and also at tubedepot.com, but neither answered me about brands or matched pairs. But as theirs price are not so high and considering your positive experience, I think I'll try them.
Thank!

Apr 29, 2019 at 2:30 PM Post #3,127 of 4,839
Last edited:
Apr 30, 2019 at 5:13 AM Post #3,128 of 4,839
I'm somehow afraid of e-bay, as I've read good but awfull stuff there. And as I live outside USA, returning an item is not exactly an easy task.
I've seend 6fd7 on the website you mention, and also at tubedepot.com, but neither answered me about brands or matched pairs. But as theirs price are not so high and considering your positive experience, I think I'll try them.
Thank!

Got a pair of 6FD7 procomm skinny bottle from thetubestore, it is the only brand they currently have. Sound is nice, but I still kinda prefer the RCA 6EM7s with adapters.

May 1, 2019 at 11:16 AM Post #3,129 of 4,839
A few days into running the WA6 with copper rectifier, and RCA VT-99, they sound great. I noticed the difference at first, but what I initially thought was a weakness of the RCA tubes, a syrupy quality, is countered by the copper rectifier. I still wonder if running the copper will improve the life of the driver/power tubes.

Also, once the RCA 6F8G were in, I realized how noisy the NU 6F8G were. Need to clean the pins with deoxit, but even then, those just seem to be noisy.

Hope you guys are still happily tube rolling out there.

May 1, 2019 at 8:14 PM Post #3,130 of 4,839
A few days into running the WA6 with copper rectifier, and RCA VT-99, they sound great. I noticed the difference at first, but what I initially thought was a weakness of the RCA tubes, a syrupy quality, is countered by the copper rectifier. I still wonder if running the copper will improve the life of the driver/power tubes.

Also, once the RCA 6F8G were in, I realized how noisy the NU 6F8G were. Need to clean the pins with deoxit, but even then, those just seem to be noisy.

Hope you guys are still happily tube rolling out there.

What's a copper rectifier?

May 2, 2019 at 8:42 AM Post #3,132 of 4,839
Yeah while it would be hard to recommend it, as Woo does not, I've used it for about a year now, and there is nothing that will cause you issues. At least mine in particular is fine.

Only reason is that great rectifiers are so expensive. I have 1 really good rectifier, but because I do so little critical listening these days on my computer, where the WA6 is, I'm saving it.

More and more I like these RCA 6F8G. They go tink tink tink as they warm up which I find to be endearing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back