Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice
Mar 28, 2012 at 5:14 AM Post #166 of 4,839

Quote:
Would you say that d7000 is a bass head headphone? Would you use it for classical or jazz?

I don't consider the D7000 to be a 'Bassy' headphone, but it will go downstairs - a full octave lower. The Sub Bass and Mid Bass don't trip over each other. And more importantly, I listen to a lot of Jazz and other music with Percussion; Bass, and some Classical. The D7000 performs well with these genres - Jazz, Acoustical & Classical? A walk in the park! 

Currently, I am seeking ways to hold on to my Zeus Balanced 4 conductor cabled D7000's! I'm having a bit of an impedance mismatch with my new OTL amp, which does better with higher impedance cans. And I can't afford to buy new cans at this time.

My OTL amp has an output impedance of about 40 ohms. For my cans to excel ("electrically damped") they need to be in between 300-600 ohms. Plus, the amp was voiced with 300 ohm Senn HD650's, so... tonight, we are shopping for options. If I could some how afford Dubstep Girl's 600 ohm DT-990's, I'll keep the Denon's. If not, and if the D7000's really must go, then we should talk. 
wink_face.gif

Will be trying to sort it all out this week!

Mar 28, 2012 at 6:17 AM Post #167 of 4,839
the d7000 is the bassiest headphone i have, even better in the subbass than the pro 900.

the d2000 is better in sub-bass quantity, but less quality.

i would definitely consider the d7000 bassy, especially compared to other headphones in its price range.

Mar 28, 2012 at 6:50 AM Post #168 of 4,839
biggrin.gif

smiley_thumb.gif
 Ok, Bassy... and classy. I don't think Denon Electronics was heavy-handed and got the spice just right for my tastes. (Silent One pauses... focuses on track playing... ). 
rolleyes.gif
 Yeah, I'm currently under the HD600's - confirmed, the D7000's got Bass! But sophisticated now...
dt880smile.png

Mar 28, 2012 at 11:35 AM Post #169 of 4,839

Quote:
the d7000 is the bassiest headphone i have, even better in the subbass than the pro 900.

the d2000 is better in sub-bass quantity, but less quality.

i would definitely consider the d7000 bassy, especially compared to other headphones in its price range.

Quote:
biggrin.gif

smiley_thumb.gif
 Ok, Bassy... and classy. I don't think Denon Electronics was heavy-handed and got the spice just right for my tastes. (Silent One pauses... focuses on track playing... ). 
rolleyes.gif
 Yeah, I'm currently under the HD600's - confirmed, the D7000's got Bass! But sophisticated now...
dt880smile.png

Im strongly considering D7000 as my next step up in upgrade. But Im a little afraid of too much bass. I dont want a 'hip hop' headphone. I want neutral, accurate treble, natural bass. I will go for it...but I wish I could audition it.

Mar 28, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #170 of 4,839

Quote:

Im strongly considering D7000 as my next step up in upgrade. But Im a little afraid of too much bass. I dont want a 'hip hop' headphone. I want neutral, accurate treble, natural bass. I will go for it...but I wish I could audition it.

I think each ear hears things differently. Having heard the whole line-up in the Dxxx series. I'd say the D5000 and D2000 are more bassy than the D7000. At the same time with certain amps like the Nuforce Icon HDP the Denon sounds super neutral (that amp sucks all the bass out of these headphones). So if you are going to be running the D7000s out of a slightly colder/very neutral amp I think you will get a relative neutral sound out of them. On warmer amps they do tend to have more bass, but I never feel they are overly bassy (personally).

Mar 28, 2012 at 6:12 PM Post #171 of 4,839

I will run them through wa6se... (I'm looking up to Silent One.. I think he knows what he is doing :)
Quote:
I think each ear hears things differently. Having heard the whole line-up in the Dxxx series. I'd say the D5000 and D2000 are more bassy than the D7000. At the same time with certain amps like the Nuforce Icon HDP the Denon sounds super neutral (that amp sucks all the bass out of these headphones). So if you are going to be running the D7000s out of a slightly colder/very neutral amp I think you will get a relative neutral sound out of them. On warmer amps they do tend to have more bass, but I never feel they are overly bassy (personally).

Mar 28, 2012 at 6:16 PM Post #172 of 4,839
I just ordered some 6GL7/6EM7 tubes, plus their adaptors for my 6SE maxed. I'm waiting for their arrival to use them with my Sophia. 

For the last 6 months, I've been using the same stock tubes:  274B, and Raytheons.. (I held myself from using the Sophia, until I developed my ears for the amp. )

I think it's going to be a whole new amp.. Anybody using the 6GL7 tubes and their woo adaptors here? Any thoughts on them?

Mar 28, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #173 of 4,839
Very interested in hearing your impressions on the gl7s.. I was thinking about getting them, asked jack a question and never got a response so I kind of forgot about them. I'd especially be interested in your impressions on low impudence phones. It would be nice to know if they are noisy or quiet tubes, the fd7s I got from jack have great bass but are really noisy (I actually thought it was other things causing the noise so I purchased a power conditioner and wireworld power cable... Thenn realized it was the tubes as my 6de7s are super quiet but not crazy about their sound).

Mar 28, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #174 of 4,839
Well, I only listened to my amp through AKG 702s, and I don't own any other high quality headphones.. But I know the current sound of the amp well (with the stock tubes),It's all I listened to for months, several hours a day. So  think I could write difference of the GL7s when they come in...

Quote:
Very interested in hearing your impressions on the gl7s.. I was thinking about getting them, asked jack a question and never got a response so I kind of forgot about them. I'd especially be interested in your impressions on low impudence phones. It would be nice to know if they are noisy or quiet tubes, the fd7s I got from jack have great bass but are really noisy (I actually thought it was other things causing the noise so I purchased a power conditioner and wireworld power cable... Thenn realized it was the tubes as my 6de7s are super quiet but not crazy about their sound).

Mar 28, 2012 at 6:55 PM Post #175 of 4,839

By the way, this may be off topic but... I will do the comparison with the following two albums:

http://www.discogs.com/Kiyoshi-Kitagawa-Kenny-Barron-Brian-Blade-Ancestry/release/3082730
http://www.amazon.com/Hidden-Treasures-Gary-Smulyan/dp/B000EULSFM

Brian Blade..and especially my favorite Billy Drummond, are two great jazz drummers who have excellent cymbal tones..and their albums are usually recorded very well. My goal is to find the set of head-fi gear the can make me get as close to their cymbals as much as possible..

Quote:

Mar 28, 2012 at 7:09 PM Post #176 of 4,839
d7000 isn't neutral and accurate by any means. 

its a hiphopy headphone that works very well with any genre though. 

its very fun sounding, but in a good way not in a crappy beats by dre way. more in a full and refined kind of way. 

if u want bass but with more accurate sound and less bass that isn't overpowering. get the T1 or LCD-2.

Mar 28, 2012 at 7:48 PM Post #177 of 4,839

Quote:

If possible, try to look up head-fier's in your USA locale or near by, who just might have a pair. Or shop - retail and/or repair. Personally, I find the presentation to be more natural sounding in the D7000 than a few other cans with the genres I hear. And again, they way I wanna hear 'em (that counts for something, it's called "preference." 
biggrin.gif
 ). 

The quantity of Bass and the impact of Bass in the D7000 is not overwhelming to me, not the focus of the presentation. I get your fear of not wanting a refined phone to merely sound Bass "emphasized." For my taste, the quality and quantity of Bass lends itself right nicely to the presentation and complimenting percussion and other notes beautifully. 

And if you thought tube rolling provided a lot of options to change the sound signature, you ain't heard nuthin' yet! I spent the last two weeks experimenting and analyzing isolation, footers, platforms, cabinets and so on. "Tuning" in other words. And the sheer number of combinations are dizzying! I mention this (and this is important) because some will buy headphones, or listen to headphones on their own rig or another's, and reach a conclusion of what it sounded like only taking the components into account.  How a system is connected, powered and isolated will return a completely different impression of the same headphone. 

All of these things are my view, mind you... 
wink_face.gif

Mar 28, 2012 at 7:59 PM Post #178 of 4,839

Quote:
d7000 isn't neutral and accurate by any means. 

its a hiphopy headphone that works very well with any genre though. 

its very fun sounding, but in a good way not in a crappy beats by dre way. more in a full and refined kind of way. 

if u want bass but with more accurate sound and less bass that isn't overpowering. get the T1 or LCD-2.

Guess we have different interpretations of the D7000... and that's ok, our experiences are going to differ. I think I understand how you're relating the Bass factor in this way. But I would politely disagree - this headphone is not hiphopy. 
biggrin.gif
 If it were, it'd likely trip over itself and badly, while trying to do the fantastic job it does rendering Classical, Jazz, Zydeco, Acoustical, African and so on... 

But it's great that we can bring many sides out into the light. 

Mar 28, 2012 at 8:05 PM Post #179 of 4,839

Quote:
By the way, this may be off topic but... I will do the comparison with the following two albums:

http://www.discogs.com/Kiyoshi-Kitagawa-Kenny-Barron-Brian-Blade-Ancestry/release/3082730
http://www.amazon.com/Hidden-Treasures-Gary-Smulyan/dp/B000EULSFM

Brian Blade..and especially my favorite Billy Drummond, are two great jazz drummers who have excellent cymbal tones..and their albums are usually recorded very well. My goal is to find the set of head-fi gear the can make me get as close to their cymbals as much as possible..

With your being a drummer, you might already be aware that cymbals are some of the hardest notes to reproduce accurately through audio. Man, when done right, you'll sit up in your seat! 
biggrin.gif

Mar 28, 2012 at 9:43 PM Post #180 of 4,839

Quote:

Personally, I find the presentation to be more natural sounding in the D7000 than a few other cans with the genres I hear. And again, they way I wanna hear 'em (that counts for something, it's called "preference." 
biggrin.gif
 ). 

The quantity of Bass and the impact of Bass in the D7000 is not overwhelming to me, not the focus of the presentation. I get your fear of not wanting a refined phone to merely sound Bass "emphasized." For my taste, the quality and quantity of Bass lends itself right nicely to the presentation and complimenting percussion and other notes beautifully. 

+1, nicely put 
wink.gif

Quote:
Well, I only listened to my amp through AKG 702s, and I don't own any other high quality headphones.. But I know the current sound of the amp well (with the stock tubes),It's all I listened to for months, several hours a day. So  think I could write difference of the GL7s when they come in...

Sounds great looking forward to the comparison :) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back