Woo Audio WA6/WA3 or Burson HA-160 for HD650???
Apr 3, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #16 of 41
Bottlehead Crack with speedball upgrade. Haven't heard the WA3 (which is comparable to a DV336) but have heard the other two mentioned amps. For the HD650 it's a no brainer you won't get a better synergistic match with the Crack and any of the high impedence Sennheiser can's namely 580/600/650 and 800. The Crack + the 580-650 headphones is the perfect couple. /thread.

Apr 5, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #17 of 41
All I can tell you is the Burson HA160D, which has the same amp sectionas the HA160, does not sound as good driving my HD600s and HD800s as my little Creek OBH-11.  The Creek produces better definition, clearer sound and more slam than the Burson.  The Creek is only $225.  Maybe that's all you need to spend too.  I don't know about Woo and tubes.  That's another game entirely.  Try the Creek.  You can always sell it and move up to something better, if there is something better, later.  Only going to cost you $225 right now. 

Apr 6, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #19 of 41
Quote:
All I can tell you is the Burson HA160D, which has the same amp sectionas the HA160, does not sound as good driving my HD600s and HD800s as my little Creek OBH-11.  The Creek produces better definition, clearer sound and more slam than the Burson.  The Creek is only $225.  Maybe that's all you need to spend too.  I don't know about Woo and tubes.  That's another game entirely.  Try the Creek.  You can always sell it and move up to something better, if there is something better, later.  Only going to cost you $225 right now. 

You made me feel so confused! I've just got the HA-160 to pair with HD650. Generally, it totally fits my expectation. However, I don't have any chance to try the Creek OBH 11. Maybe I must manage to test it. Nice suggestion!

Apr 6, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #20 of 41
Quote:
All I can tell you is the Burson HA160D, which has the same amp sectionas the HA160, does not sound as good driving my HD600s and HD800s as my little Creek OBH-11.  The Creek produces better definition, clearer sound and more slam than the Burson.  The Creek is only $225.  

Interesting. And i thought the Burson's strong point was bass slam? 

The creek is a classic amp, and some people find it bright and lacking on bass. It can be improved via DIY though. 

Apr 6, 2013 at 5:46 PM Post #21 of 41
Quote:

Interesting. And i thought the Burson's strong point was bass slam? 

The creek is a classic amp, and some people find it bright and lacking on bass. It can be improved via DIY though. 

What I meant by slam was transient response.  There seems to be faster and stronger punch.  The Burson may have plenty of bass power, but the Creek is not really lacking.

Apr 6, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #22 of 41
Just a further thought on the subject:  Sennheiser is going to release two headphone amps of their own manufacture, stated to mate well with their higher end line.  The HDVD 800 and HDVA 600 have not yet been officially announced or released.  Sennhiser is still keeping them in the stable for some reason. 

It makes sense that Sennheiser would make phones that would sound well with their own cans. 

Just something for headfiers to further slaver over.  Thought i'd put this out there.  You can find some reference to them, though not a lot, on the Sennheuiser website.

http://en-us.sennheiser.com/news/sound-perfected-sennheiser-presents-its-analogue-and-digital-headphone-amplifiers

Apr 7, 2013 at 5:45 AM Post #26 of 41
My setup is as well the HD650 with the HA160,receives a hearty recommendation! I have not heard the WA6/3 so cannot comment on those. I have used tube amps with the HD650 (nothing fancy though, Little dot III & EF5) but I seem to love the transparency,energy and authority the HA160/650 combo brings to the music played. Briefly tried out the HE500 with the HA160 and that was nowhere near the 160/650 combo, though I could see the potential in the HE500 (definitely deserves a different amp!).

Apr 11, 2013 at 6:59 AM Post #27 of 41
Sorry for replying late. I have been crazy busy nowadays :frowning2:

Quote:

Wow, that sounds absolutely interesting. I would definitely try the Creek! I have never heard of the Creeks, though.

Thank you! I will search on Head-fi now to see if there are any Creeks available :D

Cheers!

Jun 4, 2013 at 2:04 AM Post #28 of 41
Hi guys, thanks to your advice, I bought the Creek OBH-11 several days ago, and that was a steal. The treble is great, lacks a bit of bass impact but it is just fine when paired with these basshead headphones like the HD650s. The big disadvantages that I found are the sound stage is somehow small and it's not too detailed.

I'm pretty happy with my deal :D

Jun 4, 2013 at 5:26 AM Post #30 of 41
Quote:
Nice, the Creek is screaming to you "Mod me". Trust me, big difference once modded, even better if you get the discrete PSU for it.

Can you clarify what exactly the Creek can be modded? And what is the big difference? I have heard only about the PSU OBH-2 upgrade. My creek is still the default one :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back