Woo Audio WA5/WA5 LE owners
Jan 26, 2023 at 12:05 PM Post #376 of 462
The drivers are Sylvania 6F8G "Green Leaf" 1940's "Z0" date code - matched pair that I got NOS off ebay. One of the best drivers I've ever used. You should invest in a pair of adapters and find a pair of decent 6F8G's - they put just about every 6SN7 to shame.

The EML's are good tubes, big and bold, with a very warm, tubey feel to them. They don't have the cleanliness though of the Elrog. I have both solid plate and mesh 300B's, and they're definitely designed for a classic sound. The best way to describe the Elrog is to say "compare every tube you've ever heard, and take the best parts of each, and put them into one tube." Elrogs do sub-bass, bass, low vocals, mid vocals, high vocals, and hi-range perfectly. The WEIGHT and IMPACT is where it really shines through though. I just got finished listening to some orchestral music and to hear the low brass and low strings really resonate is the difference between a good tube and a great tube.

I have the Sophia Royal Princesses, too. Are yours also incredibly microphonic and ping like wind chimes for an hour after warm-up? If it weren't for those characteristics, I'd say they sounded good (similar to the WE300B), but those issues just ruin them for me.

1655726F-6769-417C-A533-9555B4EC6C05.jpeg
I'm using the Elrogs as I type this. They've been my default go-to rectifiers and power tubes ever since I got them back in June.

Elrogs makes both 274 and 5U4G variants. I had originally bought the 5U4Gs, but they were backordered. Parts Connexion recommended I try the 274. TECHNICALLY compatible, but one of them immediately popped when I powered on the amp. They went back and I was sent replacement 5U4Gs, which have been flawless ever since *except* that one of the 5U4G will make a physical "ringing" sound every once in a while. It goes away if I tap the tube.

Thomas Meyer (Elrog's current owner and chief engineer) inspected the defective 274 and thinks the filament may have come loose during shipping. He also says that he does not recommend using the 274 in the Woo because of plate voltage requirements (pulling that from memory, will look up his exact explanation later).

Performance-wise they out-perform everything else I've tried (see my signature). By far. YMMV, of course.

As for the 300B, they make 3 variants - ER300B, ER300B-Mo, and TM300B. The TM variant is limited production and reserved for use only in Thomas Meyer's hand-built amlifiers. I have not heard the ER300B, but the -Mo's are outstanding in every regard. If you put them up against the Western Electrics, you hear how slow, bloated, and rolled-off the WE's are. Fine if you want that romantic tube sound, but the sound flabby and lazy. If you put them up against the Takatsuki 300B, they're even more clean and precise, but with far more weight and impact. Compared to the EML 300B, 320B, 520B, etc....they really show off how modern engineering is moving the 300B out of the 20th century. Yes, they're pricy, but worth it (IMO).

Feel free too ask any questions - I'm here to help as best I can.

785CFBCE-1822-4CC9-A50E-9ACE3FCE42FE.jpeg
Thanks for much for sharing really helps! Your WA5-LE looks awesome with the Erogs... 2 questions though..

1. Have you tried using a Susvara on your System?
2. On the rectifier part... is the USAF a good alternative vs the Elrog 5U4G? is the perfarmance that much of a difference? am loving how the USAF looks and offcourse much cheaper..

Jan 26, 2023 at 5:45 PM Post #377 of 462
Thanks for much for sharing really helps! Your WA5-LE looks awesome with the Erogs... 2 questions though..

1. Have you tried using a Susvara on your System?
2. On the rectifier part... is the USAF a good alternative vs the Elrog 5U4G? is the perfarmance that much of a difference? am loving how the USAF looks and offcourse much cheaper..
1) No, I have no experience with the Susvara. I really have no desire to own those (for personal reasons). If I ever get the opportunity to test them, I will.

2) The USAF "Mighty" 596's are good rectifiers, but if I were to rank them with 1 being terrible and 10 being the Elrog 5U4G, the 596's are a 7. They don't have the same "oomph" behind them, and can be a touch wheezy, IMO.

0A9491FC-3F66-4788-AA41-0A12A5F42253.jpeg

Jan 27, 2023 at 3:56 AM Post #378 of 462
I own an upgraded/moded Wa5 (put "Frankenstein's Woo" in google that's my Woo) and just recently I finally changed the power tubes. I used to have cheap Russian ones and bought a pair of Psvane WE+ replicas. I was thinking about selling Susvara for a long time but these new Chinese WE-replicas revived my faith in these headphones. The difference is staggering, but mostly when I listen to "sophisti" stuff like Simply Red, Prefab Sprout, or Steely Dan. The magic is in my friends! Soon I should receive a pair of Elrog ER5U4G, I wonder what these Teutons will bring to the sound. Obviously reading all that Erlog's 300b-Mo hype I can not say I'm not tempted. But I would have to eat cottage cheese only for the next 6 months If I pull the trigger on them :sunglasses:

Jan 27, 2023 at 3:47 PM Post #379 of 462
1) No, I have no experience with the Susvara. I really have no desire to own those (for personal reasons). If I ever get the opportunity to test them, I will.

2) The USAF "Mighty" 596's are good rectifiers, but if I were to rank them with 1 being terrible and 10 being the Elrog 5U4G, the 596's are a 7. They don't have the same "oomph" behind them, and can be a touch wheezy, IMO.

0A9491FC-3F66-4788-AA41-0A12A5F42253.jpeg

Hey thanks again for the detailed response and hoping you get to try the Sus as it pairs really really well with the WA5-LE.. I can only imagine how much better it is with the the Elrogs you have.

Good thing you attached a picture of the USAF, was really wondering how those wings would look side by side.. they look amazing!
How I wish Woo Audio designed the orientation of the tubes to be facing front, I could only guess they don't want the branding of other tubes take away some of the limelight.

Looks like I need to save up for those Elrogs!!!

Jan 27, 2023 at 7:48 PM Post #380 of 462
Hey thanks again for the detailed response and hoping you get to try the Sus as it pairs really really well with the WA5-LE.. I can only imagine how much better it is with the the Elrogs you have.

Good thing you attached a picture of the USAF, was really wondering how those wings would look side by side.. they look amazing!
How I wish Woo Audio designed the orientation of the tubes to be facing front, I could only guess they don't want the branding of other tubes take away some of the limelight.

Looks like I need to save up for those Elrogs!!!
There's an actual response from Mike @ Woo about this. Basically, though, it's because not every company orients the labels the same way, so it'd be impossible to please everyone. So they went with practicality. I'll see if I can find the post.

Feb 18, 2023 at 11:28 AM Post #381 of 462
Hi WA5-LE owners. Has anybody ever compared the Auris HA-2SF to the WA5-LE? I have had the Auris for a couple of years and I like it, but I was curious to try a 300B Amp so I bought the Cayin HA300 mk2, I bought WE300B tubes and Tung Sol BRB 6F8G VT-99.... and after a month I did an A/B comparison with my Auris. I did not find that much sound difference. The Cayin might have a bit more bass but I though they were both just as clear and detailed.
The Auris has not hum with any headphone I have tried (ZMF Verite, 1266, Focal Elegia), I cannot say the same for the Cayin.
So, I am in the market for a new 300B amp and I am considering the WA5-LE so I would love to hear if somebody has compared it to the Auris.

Ok, I pulled the trigger on a WA5-LE!!!! I will have to make the comparison myself!!! :)

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2023 at 9:20 PM Post #382 of 462
Welcome to the Woo Crew, Traiguen! I'm sure you're gonna have many a late night listening to your new WA5-LE - feel free to post pics, we all love pics in here!

Feb 26, 2023 at 1:44 PM Post #383 of 462
Welcome to the Woo Crew, Traiguen! I'm sure you're gonna have many a late night listening to your new WA5-LE - feel free to post pics, we all love pics in here!
Thanks ColSaulTigh, I am enjoying this amp so much. I was surprised on how good it sounds on a kind of inexpensive Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro!!! I love it with the Abyss, but the fact that it is also great with the Beyer is a super + for me. I have updated Tubes and it is how I wanted it to be. Now.... just enjoy the music.
Best.

Attachments

• IMG_1139.JPG
    IMG_1139.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1140.JPG
    IMG_1140.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1141.JPG
    IMG_1141.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 0
Mar 6, 2023 at 6:30 PM Post #385 of 462
Got a question guys I can possibly pick up a 1st generation WA5LE but the issue is I just realized that this may not be the best option for my Susvara due to less power vs the gen 2?

Hard to find exact details since most online info is about 2nd generation not the 1st. And info on the driving ability as well as any first hand exp with the two versions with any particularly hard to drive HP would be appreciated.

Mar 6, 2023 at 7:12 PM Post #386 of 462
I don't have any 1st hand knowlege, sorry. You can always email Mike @ Woo, he's very knowledgable and can point you in the right direction.

Mar 6, 2023 at 9:00 PM Post #387 of 462
Got a question guys I can possibly pick up a 1st generation WA5LE but the issue is I just realized that this may not be the best option for my Susvara due to less power vs the gen 2?

Hard to find exact details since most online info is about 2nd generation not the 1st. And info on the driving ability as well as any first hand exp with the two versions with any particularly hard to drive HP would be appreciated.
I own a 1st gen WA5-LE. As far as I know power output has not changed. the 2nd gen has some setting switches, but the 1st gen has two outputs: high/low for high/low impedance headphones. I use it with a ZMF VC and a ZMF Atrium and can't go beyond 30% on the volume pot when plugged in on high. I don't think you are going to have any trouble at all driving the Susvara, but I never had them. If it's a good price, I'd go for it.

Mar 7, 2023 at 2:25 AM Post #388 of 462
Hi WA5-LE owners. Has anybody ever compared the Auris HA-2SF to the WA5-LE? I have had the Auris for a couple of years and I like it, but I was curious to try a 300B Amp so I bought the Cayin HA300 mk2, I bought WE300B tubes and Tung Sol BRB 6F8G VT-99.... and after a month I did an A/B comparison with my Auris. I did not find that much sound difference. The Cayin might have a bit more bass but I though they were both just as clear and detailed.
The Auris has not hum with any headphone I have tried (ZMF Verite, 1266, Focal Elegia), I cannot say the same for the Cayin.
So, I am in the market for a new 300B amp and I am considering the WA5-LE so I would love to hear if somebody has compared it to the Auris.

Ok, I pulled the trigger on a WA5-LE!!!! I will have to make the comparison myself!!! :)
I tried the Auris HA-2SF and liked it, not too tubey, not too lean, just tubey nice. I did pull the trigger on the Auris Nirvana because of the added clarity, resolution and with the right tubes “top end sparkle”. But I could have enjoyed the HA-2SF a lot if I bought it, it had fun factor for sure… and excellent value. The thing holding me back from a 300b amp is the price associated with tube swapping, plus having had a rectifier tube fail in a Bigger Ben amp I’m all for solid state power supply (the Bigger Ben rectifier failure took out the transformer).

Maybe a second hand WA5 with tubes already upgraded might be the pathway? I’d also be keen to hear comparisons to the Felix Envy. Sadly not to many of either of those around used in Australia.

cheers,

T

Mar 7, 2023 at 6:07 PM Post #389 of 462
I am surprised and disappointed at the little interest my up-for-sale Auris HA-2SF has had. Before the WA5-LE, I purchased other 300B amp, spent 4 times the sale price I have for the HA-2SF (amp & WE 300B tubes) and when I did an A/B comparison I realized that purchasing that particular 300B amp was a mistake. The Auris is that good and no need to spend crazy money in tubes so it is IMO a great first tube amp. But it is not "hot" so people don't know it.
This 300B tube business is fun but very, very expensive.

Mar 8, 2023 at 12:32 PM Post #390 of 462

I have got 1st Gen Wa5 but it is a Frankenstein Woo (upgraded). Still, it is as powerful as a normal 1st Gen Wa5 and (I guess) its successor. It drives Susvara seamlessly although I have to reach for up to 85% of a volume horsepower sometimes when DR values are high. Still, the top 300B valves (Psvane WEreplicas, Elrogs, etc) are needed to make Susvara show its true potential.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back