Woo Audio WA5/WA5 LE owners
Nov 8, 2022 at 6:23 PM Post #346 of 462
The following is for discussion purposes only and for fun.

I'm afraid I must disagree with the statement "Leave the rectifier till last or as budget allows." Rectifiers should be first!

I purchased a Woo WA22 about 10 years ago with stock tubes. Upgraded the Rectifier to a Western Electric 422A. It was like night and day. I'm going to include some links in my discussion below.

Remember, we are talking about tube amps. The tubes ARE the amp; what you are buying from a manufacturer is just cases, wiring and knobs, potentiometers, connections, etc.

Lucasz Fikus, head of Lampizator said (admittedly for DACS "As we know POWER IS EVERYTHING. We effectively listen to power supply modulated by the signal. So the power supply is even more important than the output stage circuit itself. Thats why 70 % of budget of the DAC goes to the power supply.") 70% of budget goes to power supply! Link: http://www.lampizator.eu/fikus/TECHNOLOGY.html

Power supply in a tube amp is the rectifier.

WE JUST reintroduced its fabulous 300B rectifier. Why? For audiophiiles. https://www.westernelectric.com/300b.

I mean no offense, but purchasing a tube amp and not putting the best tubes in it is a waste. Starting with the rectifier.

Attaching DubStep Girl's Rectifier page from years ago (for Woo WA22 Amps) as an fyi. WA5-LE uses these rectifiers as power tubes.

Also the old Head-Fi 6SN7 driver tube discussion.

Leave the wife and kids. 2 WE 300B's; 2 WE 422A's (NOS) and NOS 6SN7's of your choice as drivers. You'll be broke, but will happy. Kinda New World Order! :)

Have fun.

-Bill
Thanks Bill!

Nov 8, 2022 at 6:44 PM Post #347 of 462
I see that you are partial to Elrog 300s and you also have the Takatsuki. I mainly listen to Electronica and Alt rock with occasional Jazz. Which one suits these genres?
You want the Elrog 300B-Mo's (these will sound better than the standard Elrog 300B), and, if you can find them, a pair of Melz 1578. I would also buy the Elrog 5U4G's (NOT the 274B, which do not play nice with the WA5-LE).

The Takatsuki are nice and clean, but weak in comparison.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2022 at 6:46 PM Post #348 of 462
My experience with tube amps is limited but I found the upgrade path that gave the greatest effect on SQ to be the following:
1) Power Tubes
2) Drivers
3) Rectifier

I think I posted my rankings of the rectifiers I have used on @Dubstep Girl thread:
1) Takatsuki 274B
2) KR 274B
3) USAF 596
4) WE 422A Nos 3&4 have reputations that I found they did not live up to. I thought them to be slightly better than average. These two ratings are interchangeable.
5) Sophia Electric 274b-Probably the best upgrade dollar for dollar if your budget is limited or you blew it all on power tubes.
6) Sovtek 5U3C

I will probably at some point try an Elrog ER5U4G if they are ever back in stock and sell the USAF 596 unless someone wants it now. As said my experience is limited being confined to a WA5 and WA33 EE.

Nov 8, 2022 at 6:52 PM Post #349 of 462
My experience with tube amps is limited but I found the upgrade path that gave the greatest effect on SQ to be the following:
1) Power Tubes
2) Drivers
3) Rectifier

I think I posted my rankings of the rectifiers I have used on @Dubstep Girl thread:
1) Takatsuki 274B
2) KR 274B
3) USAF 596
4) WE 422A Nos 3&4 have reputations that I found they did not live up to. I thought them to be slightly better than average. These two ratings are interchangeable.
5) Sophia Electric 274b-Probably the best upgrade dollar for dollar if your budget is limited or you blew it all on power tubes.
6) Sovtek 5U3C

I will probably at some point try an Elrog ER5U4G if they are ever back in stock and sell the USAF 596 unless someone wants it now. As said my experience is limited being confined to a WA5 and WA33 EE.
I know someone looking for the 596's if you're looking to sell.

Nov 8, 2022 at 7:22 PM Post #350 of 462
No Emissions Labs love? I'm running EL 300B-XLS, EL 274B mesh plates, and 1952 Sylvania VT-231s... 3 hole plates. So much power and clean timbre, with deep hitting bass.

Nov 8, 2022 at 7:24 PM Post #351 of 462
1) Power Tubes
2) Drivers
3) Rectifier

1) Takatsuki 274B
2) KR 274B
3) USAF 596
6) Sovtek 5U3C

Pippen, this is why there are menus in restaurants.

I've been torn between upgrading the WA22 to a WA5-LE, but with so much invested in my tubes. And loving the sound signature of the WA22 for my 60-70's soul and jazz, i'm happy staying put for now.

But exploring how to drive planars - the WA22 just sounded muddy.

Thrilled that you are happy with your current setup.

And I agree drivers matter. I have 2 matched pairs of RCA grey glass (1942-43) 6SN7GT-VT231 as drivers. When I dropped them in I wept.

I suspect a 5-LE is in my future. Just trying to figure it out.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2022 at 7:42 PM Post #352 of 462
No Emissions Labs love? I'm running EL 300B-XLS, EL 274B mesh plates, and 1952 Sylvania VT-231s... 3 hole plates. So much power and clean timbre, with deep hitting bass.
I like my EML's (300B-XLS, 520B-v3, 274B, 5U4G) and am currently stalking a pair of 300B-Mesh to add to the collection. Having said that, they're more "traditional" sounding tubes (IMO). There's something about the Elrog's new design that just makes them next-level.

As for drivers, I just bought some Sylvania solid-plate 6SN7GT's that were good, but not great. The 7N7's are a marked step up and more impactful (again, IMO). But for my money, it's RCA Grey Glass for warmth, Melz 1578 for clean, and Tung Sol 6F8G's for slickness.

Nov 8, 2022 at 7:59 PM Post #353 of 462
I like my EML's (300B-XLS, 520B-v3, 274B, 5U4G) and am currently stalking a pair of 300B-Mesh to add to the collection. Having said that, they're more "traditional" sounding tubes (IMO). There's something about the Elrog's new design that just makes them next-level.

As for drivers, I just bought some Sylvania solid-plate 6SN7GT's that were good, but not great. The 7N7's are a marked step up and more impactful (again, IMO). But for my money, it's RCA Grey Glass for warmth, Melz 1578 for clean, and Tung Sol 6F8G's for slickness.
Heh, that's why I like the ELs. I like the traditional sound, as you put it.

Nov 8, 2022 at 9:06 PM Post #354 of 462
Quite a few of us over on the WA33 thread went all in on the 2A3 equivalent EML 300B 2.5v. The quality control was abysmal. We found out the tubes had to be returned to JacMusic in Germany for warranty purposes. Some never got satisfaction, some like me got replacements after 7 months of ignored emails and broken promises. Jac who is part owner of EML is (to be polite) a bandit. Once I got my replacement tubes I sold off both my EML quads. NEVER AGAIN!

Nov 9, 2022 at 10:41 AM Post #355 of 462
Quite a few of us over on the WA33 thread went all in on the 2A3 equivalent EML 300B 2.5v. The quality control was abysmal. We found out the tubes had to be returned to JacMusic in Germany for warranty purposes. Some never got satisfaction, some like me got replacements after 7 months of ignored emails and broken promises. Jac who is part owner of EML is (to be polite) a bandit. Once I got my replacement tubes I sold off both my EML quads. NEVER AGAIN!
That's pretty bad. I've had mine over a year with no issues so far. I'll likely go with a different brand just to try something new if these EMLs ever die on me.

Nov 10, 2022 at 1:12 PM Post #356 of 462
Thanks all for your replies. Just placed an order for the 596s to start with. I’ll treat myself with Elrog 300s once they stock them and might let Santa deliver them for me. :wink: (is my wife watching this?)

Now another question: I just got the Freya S as a preamp so I can do some remote control and maybe switch in other DACS. What's the rule of thumb for volume on the Amp? Should I keep the volume on the WA5 at 3 o'clock or lower? I'm trying to think in terms of dynamic range what's the best option. Looking for guidance on this.

Nov 10, 2022 at 2:05 PM Post #357 of 462
Thanks all for your replies. Just placed an order for the 596s to start with. I’ll treat myself with Elrog 300s once they stock them and might let Santa deliver them for me. :wink: (is my wife watching this?)

Now another question: I just got the Freya S as a preamp so I can do some remote control and maybe switch in other DACS. What's the rule of thumb for volume on the Amp? Should I keep the volume on the WA5 at 3 o'clock or lower? I'm trying to think in terms of dynamic range what's the best option. Looking for guidance on this.
Regarding the Elrogs, you'll want to put an order in - they're always on backorder and take about a month to fill a new batch. The 596's are great rectifiers, and when you're ready, get a pair of Elrog 5U4G rectifiers to go with them.

I've never used the WA5 with a preamp, so I'll leave that to others to disucss.

Enjoy!

Nov 10, 2022 at 2:06 PM Post #358 of 462
Regarding the Elrogs, you'll want to put an order in - they're always on backorder and take about a month to fill a new batch. The 596's are great rectifiers, and when you're ready, get a pair of Elrog 5U4G rectifiers to go with them.

I've never used the WA5 with a preamp, so I'll leave that to others to disucss.

Enjoy!
What's your preferred dealer for the Elrogs? Direct or through PartsConnexion?

Nov 10, 2022 at 2:11 PM Post #359 of 462
What's your preferred dealer for the Elrogs? Direct or through PartsConnexion?
PartsConnexion. Call them directly, they'll put you on the list. Doesn't hurt to ask them for a discount, either.

*cough*15%*cough*

Nov 15, 2022 at 4:12 AM Post #360 of 462
Edit:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back