Woo Audio WA5/WA5 LE owners
Feb 24, 2024 at 7:36 AM Post #451 of 462
Can anyone suggest some tubes for the WA5 to darken it up? I’ve got Tak’s and WE for 300b’s as well as PS Vane and Gold Lion 300b’s. I’m running WE as Drivers and RCA’s for rectifiers. Any help would be appreciated. I heard Sylvania in place of my RCA’s can darken it up but would love if someone would chime in. Thanks 😎

Feb 24, 2024 at 7:52 AM Post #452 of 462
Still enjoying this setup along with my
HE-6.

The WA5 is running WE300B, TS VT-99, and 596s. The sound is as transparent and natural as I can get it without spending a lot more. Tube-wise, I might get Sylvania 6SN7W + WE274B or find a GEC B65 or Sweden standard 33S30B if I can find for a good price.

The GSX Mk2 sometimes preamps for the WA5, as well as for the First watt J2. It improves the wa5 sound by tightening the bass and adding dynamic energy.

the speakers are Omega Speakers RS8 compact monitors with their “Speed 10” subwoofer. 98db efficiency single drivers, they are perfect for the wa5 and its 8W of 300B. The sound is smooth, palpable, organic, and transparent, it sounds like music and the speakers can disappear, very detailed but also effortless and lifelike in its presentation. the WE300B were key to providing this openness, holographic, and realism to the sound, without it, it wasn’t as good (used eml 300b prior to we300b). I don’t consider a 300B amp complete or reference level unless it has WE300B, they are a must, otherwise might as well go 2A3 push pull or something else. Love the SET magic of this setup, the purity is unmatched.

There is no coloration in the tonality or expression of the sound, it is absolutely lifelike, the equipment erases itself and the recording comes to life. Absolutely Zero grain. Very immersive. This is the WE300B doing this as the amp / my system didn’t get to this level until I added it to the Woo. With inferior 300B like the EML mesh pair, the sound was great still, clean, detailed, open, extended, but I could still hear the recording, the colorations, the decay wasn’t as liquid and organic, it was just controlled and good, but not real, i could tell it was an amp, a recording, a pair of speakers, a system emulating reality and staying in the realm of good hifi, but not fully breaking thru to the truth, the sound of nothing, but the sound itself, you hear it, and simply experience music, as it is.

Also Volume-wise, its perfect, gets very loud if I want to, perfect for normal size house or apartment living rooms. Bass is solid too, not the deepest, but good enough for most music except test recordings with really low extension. the bass is tight, fast, details, and as natural as I have heard, very clean lifelike decay.

As for the HE-6 combo, I run the gsx into wa5 for the best sound, as the extra gain and dynamics really help finish driving the power hungry he-6 and clean up the bass and transients. Its world-class sound, really leaves nothing to be desired of the setup. I don’t think I can better sound unless I go for something TOTL like susvara.

Overall, WA5 is a winner. It serves as my main amp for a speaker setup while still being able to be there for headphones. the 300b magic is real, and is worth going for, if you can get the right tubes and a setup it works well for (headphones, high efficiency single driver speakers, small/med size rooms).

The WA5 is Woo’s best amp along with the WA33. The newer WA33 will sound better when maxed out internally and with stock tubes due to its 2a3 push pull design, its “more neutral” and dynamic and seemingly more detailed. when maxed with nos 2a3, it’ll be as good as max wa5, perhaps only missing a bit of that purity and openness in exchange for dynamics and detail as well as 2W of more power. the wa5 is simply above average with normal tubes, quite colored at times being warm and slow despite its detail and openness, its so tube dependent. with maxed out tubes and we300b, it goes to another level, and becomes a world class SET amp, only beaten by very nice 300B amps costing tens of thousands of dollars. The WE300B is expensive, and makes the WA5 cost as much as an upgraded WA33, but that 300B magic is well worth the investment, its the ultimate audio tube.

7648C602-94FB-425F-8839-062A1B7126DF.jpeg
Hey Dubstep Girl:

I have the WA5 and am in need of your advice. I prefer a warmer tonality than you do I believe. I have the RCA Rectifier and WE Driver and 300b in mine. What would you suggest I change to get that wet midrange? Would swapping the RCA for Sylvania work Rectifier work? Or would I also need to change the WE Driver as well? I want that classic vintage tube sound so any suggestions would be really helpful. You’ve always steered me right so I want to thank you for all your help in the past.

Cheers

Feb 24, 2024 at 8:01 AM Post #453 of 462
Hey Dubstep Girl:

I have the WA5 and am in need of your advice. I prefer a warmer tonality than you do I believe. I have the RCA Rectifier and WE Driver and 300b in mine. What would you suggest I change to get that wet midrange? Would swapping the RCA for Sylvania work Rectifier work? Or would I also need to change the WE Driver as well? I want that classic vintage tube sound so any suggestions would be really helpful. You’ve always steered me right so I want to thank you for all your help in the past.

Cheers
Try eat 300b

Feb 24, 2024 at 4:26 PM Post #455 of 462
I am surprised and disappointed at the little interest my up-for-sale Auris HA-2SF has had. Before the WA5-LE, I purchased other 300B amp, spent 4 times the sale price I have for the HA-2SF (amp & WE 300B tubes) and when I did an A/B comparison I realized that purchasing that particular 300B amp was a mistake. The Auris is that good and no need to spend crazy money in tubes so it is IMO a great first tube amp. But it is not "hot" so people don't know it.
This 300B tube business is fun but very, very expensive.
Did you prefer the WA5 to the Cayin HA300Mkii? Can you compare and contrast with a description of some of your experience. Thank you

Feb 24, 2024 at 8:08 PM Post #456 of 462
Can anyone suggest some tubes for the WA5 to darken it up? I’ve got Tak’s and WE for 300b’s as well as PS Vane and Gold Lion 300b’s. I’m running WE as Drivers and RCA’s for rectifiers. Any help would be appreciated. I heard Sylvania in place of my RCA’s can darken it up but would love if someone would chime in. Thanks 😎
The Tak's are way too bright and brittle for my taste. We 300B or EML 300B for pure warmth (on the 300B side). My beloved Elrog 300B-Mo's if you want pure power on both ends (albeit very neutral sounding, but extremely wet).

What you want to change are the drivers (which I may have missed). Get some WWII-era RCA "Grey Glass" VT-231/6SN7's. They'll give you that thick, smokey bar sound while still keeping the vocals nice and clean.

If you can find them, you can also try some 1940's Tung Sol 6F8G Black Glass Round Plates (with Woo adapters). They won't be cheap, but man, talk about silky and slick, with the right amount of tubey gooeyness!

IMO, YMMV, etc. etc.....

Feb 25, 2024 at 8:14 AM Post #457 of 462
The Tak's are way too bright and brittle for my taste. We 300B or EML 300B for pure warmth (on the 300B side). My beloved Elrog 300B-Mo's if you want pure power on both ends (albeit very neutral sounding, but extremely wet).

What you want to change are the drivers (which I may have missed). Get some WWII-era RCA "Grey Glass" VT-231/6SN7's. They'll give you that thick, smokey bar sound while still keeping the vocals nice and clean.

If you can find them, you can also try some 1940's Tung Sol 6F8G Black Glass Round Plates (with Woo adapters). They won't be cheap, but man, talk about silky and slick, with the right amount of tubey gooeyness!

IMO, YMMV, etc. etc.....
I have the WE300b’s and I will try the Gray Glass and keep an eye out for the Black Glass Tung Sol’s. Thanks mate.

Feb 25, 2024 at 9:51 AM Post #458 of 462

IMO, YMMV, etc. etc.....
Are these the correct ones? The Gray Glass RCA and the Black Glass Tung Sol’s? Please let me know so I can pull the trigger. Cheers mate

Attachments

• IMG_6367.jpeg
    IMG_6367.jpeg
    420.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6366.jpeg
    IMG_6366.jpeg
    404.4 KB · Views: 0
Feb 25, 2024 at 3:56 PM Post #459 of 462
The RCA look correct. That is not the right Tung Sol though. There will be an annode at the top.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2024 at 4:02 PM Post #460 of 462

Users who are viewing this thread

Back