Woo Audio WA5/WA5 LE owners
Mar 9, 2023 at 10:24 AM Post #391 of 462
DR values are high. Still, the top 300B valves (Psvane WEreplicas, Elrogs, etc) are needed to make Susvara show its true potential.
sorry but i was wondering what does DR mean?

Mar 21, 2023 at 1:15 PM Post #393 of 462
That's exactly why I went with the silver! I had a silver 6SE and a black 2. As much as I like the black, I could never see the markings and it's more of a big deal on the 5LE.
This is what I did but be very careful. Get some gold model paint and thin it down a lot so its more like coloured water. With a very small model paint brush load it and dab into each letter. It will run quick. Best to remove all the valves....yes I am Englander...tubes then, and turn the amp so the letters are in the horizontal plane. Use tissue to remove overspill right away . Leave in position until dry. You may have to do this 2 or 3 times. Looks fabulous on my black WA 5 . I mentioned this in an email to Woo Audio and sent them pics and they liked it. They should employ a pensioner to do this , cant really understand why they don't. Also I am not a new headfier. I have been on this site since around 2004 but didn't come on for a while and forgot everything....had to re join.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2023 at 1:47 PM Post #394 of 462
Just curious. I have had my WA5 LE2 Now for over a year. It is standard build but now I wonder if I should have had the upgrade caps. Any info on how much better it would be and if it is possible to obtain the parts and get it done with an Audio Engineer that knows valves. I do know a very good one. I am in England you see . Keeping things sensible on cost I have just upgraded to Gold Lion 300B not a massive upgrade I know but I am loving them over the supplied stock Psvane HiFi editions. Smother and a bit more detailed. Lost a little sparkle on some recordings like Dream Theater, a bit notable on their material in way of double pedal kick drumming and HI Hat stuff. Not an issue really though.

Apr 10, 2023 at 8:45 PM Post #396 of 462
Apr 11, 2023 at 6:13 PM Post #397 of 462
Apr 11, 2023 at 8:27 PM Post #398 of 462
Looking for a WA5 (GEN 2, default premium parts). Follow your recommenation, in possesion of a pair of ELROG 300B-Mo now.
this is the way.gif

Apr 26, 2023 at 4:36 PM Post #399 of 462
@caulsaultigh. Just wondering if you've had a chance to hear the AVVT 300b. They are my main 300b and I absolutely love them. I prefer them to WE , SORP and the EMLs. Also wanted to ask you if your main headphone is the atrium ..... I was thinking of buying the atrium as an upgrade from the hd800 but I'm afraid I'll miss the imaging and soundstage capabilities of the hd800. I really love the senns with the wa5.

The Elrogs are a dream tube for me I decided not to buy them a few years back because I saw people had issues with them failing.... Have you had any problems with them at all?

Paddy

Apr 26, 2023 at 7:30 PM Post #400 of 462
@caulsaultigh. Just wondering if you've had a chance to hear the AVVT 300b. They are my main 300b and I absolutely love them. I prefer them to WE , SORP and the EMLs. Also wanted to ask you if your main headphone is the atrium ..... I was thinking of buying the atrium as an upgrade from the hd800 but I'm afraid I'll miss the imaging and soundstage capabilities of the hd800. I really love the senns with the wa5.

The Elrogs are a dream tube for me I decided not to buy them a few years back because I saw people had issues with them failing.... Have you had any problems with them at all?

Paddy
I have not had a chance to hear the AVVT 300B tubes. If memory serves, those were engineered by Alexi Vaic "way back" in the '90s, and I believe he either worked with or was acquired by Emission Labs (EML) in the early 2000s. I'd have to go back and re-read the history. I will pick up a pair if I ever come across a decent set online.

As for the Atrium, they are one of many headphones in my current rotation, although I haven't run them in a couple of months. My recent foray into estats has kept me occupied of late away from my Woo (with the occasional exception). I have the Drop 8XX, and can say that the Atrium outperforms them in every way except for the soundstage. I think Sennheiser still is the king when it comes to creating the illusion of space with headphones. What really surprised me is how well the Sennheiser HD660S sounded on the WA5! I had originally purchased them as my "travel" headphones back when I used to do a bit of back-and-forth travel to West Palm Beach for work. Since my collection has grown over the past 18 months, they didn't get much ear time. But I happened on a deal for an Audiophile Ninja cable for them and decided to try them out again, and WOW! was I ever surprised at how well they perform on the Woo. Having said all that, I think the Atrium trumps the Sennheisers in everything else, dynamics, sound signature/presentation, aesthetics, etc. They're ALMOST as comfortable (although the 8XX are extremely comfy and light), and the cavernous soundstage is pretty amazing. If you've got the scratch, I'd say go for it, but if it's a tight call, maybe hold off until you can find a nice used set (they pop up from time to time in the Classifieds).

As for the Elrogs, there's some back history there. Once upon a time, Elrog was under different management and ownership. Back in the 2010s up to their near collapse in 2016, they suffered from some pretty notorious quality control issues. Once the original Elrog collapsed, the company was acquired by their (lead?) engineer, Thomas Mayer, who returned the QC to the fine levels of German engineering. The easiest way to tell the difference in tubes is the base color (gold was the older tubes, black are the newer ones). I had originally started off with Elrog 274B's on the recommendation of the folks at Parts Connextion, which as it turns out was a mistake. They replaced them with 5U4G's, which have worked flawlessly ever since. My 300B-Mo's have run perfectly since day 1. Compared to every other 300B in my current collection, they are hands above everything else. They are simply the best tubes I have ever heard to date.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2023 at 3:30 AM Post #401 of 462
I have not had a chance to hear the AVVT 300B tubes. If memory serves, those were engineered by Alexi Vaic "way back" in the '90s, and I believe he either worked with or was acquired by Emission Labs (EML) in the early 2000s. I'd have to go back and re-read the history. I will pick up a pair if I ever come across a decent set online.

As for the Atrium, they are one of many headphones in my current rotation, although I haven't run them in a couple of months. My recent foray into estats has kept me occupied of late away from my Woo (with the occasional exception). I have the Drop 8XX, and can say that the Atrium outperforms them in every way except for the soundstage. I think Sennheiser still is the king when it comes to creating the illusion of space with headphones. What really surprised me is how well the Sennheiser HD660S sounded on the WA5! I had originally purchased them as my "travel" headphones back when I used to do a bit of back-and-forth travel to West Palm Beach for work. Since my collection has grown over the past 18 months, they didn't get much ear time. But I happened on a deal for an Audiophile Ninja cable for them and decided to try them out again, and WOW! was I ever surprised at how well they perform on the Woo. Having said all that, I think the Atrium trumps the Sennheisers in everything else, dynamics, sound signature/presentation, aesthetics, etc. They're ALMOST as comfortable (although the 8XX are extremely comfy and light), and the cavernous soundstage is pretty amazing. If you've got the scratch, I'd say go for it, but if it's a tight call, maybe hold off until you can find a nice used set (they pop up from time to time in the Classifieds).

As for the Elrogs, there's some back history there. Once upon a time, Elrog was under different management and ownership. Back in the 2010s up to their near collapse in 2016, they suffered from some pretty notorious quality control issues. Once the original Elrog collapsed, the company was acquired by their (lead?) engineer, Thomas Mayer, who returned the QC to the fine levels of German engineering. The easiest way to tell the difference in tubes is the base color (gold was the older tubes, black are the newer ones). I had originally started off with Elrog 274B's on the recommendation of the folks at Parts Connextion, which as it turns out was a mistake. They replaced them with 5U4G's, which have worked flawlessly ever since. My 300B-Mo's have run perfectly since day 1. Compared to every other 300B in my current collection, they are hands above everything else. They are simply the best tubes I have ever heard to date.
Thanks for the reply. I think eventually I will get the atriums. I am really liking what I'm hearing about them. As for the Elrogs yours are the 300b mo I think? Do you know if they are rated to 10,000 or 40,000 hours for life span. It doesn't state on the site. Man they look so good!

Apr 27, 2023 at 5:09 AM Post #402 of 462
I believe they're rated for 10k hours, which is still plenty of time...

Apr 28, 2023 at 5:05 AM Post #404 of 462

Users who are viewing this thread

Back