Woo Audio WA5/WA5 LE owners
Oct 29, 2022 at 3:54 PM Post #331 of 462
Awesome! How good does it sound with the stock tubes? Wonder if I need to immediately upgrade the 300Bs to get more power.
Stock tubes are basically designed to allow you to test the unit for function. They're fairly unremarkable. If you want performance, you'll want to upgrade. There are a WIDE variety of tubes to choose from. The current darlings are the Elrog 300B or 300B-Mo. You'll also want to replace the driver tubes with something other than the stock 6SN7. I like the RCA Grey Glass, but they're pretty pricy.

Tube rolling is part of the adventure of owning a tube amp. You'll want to set aside at least $1,500 for 300B's and anywhere from $100 - $600 for 6SN7 (or variants).

Spend some time reading THIS thread and THIS thread to get an idea where to start.

Oct 29, 2022 at 4:57 PM Post #332 of 462
Stock tubes are basically designed to allow you to test the unit for function. They're fairly unremarkable. If you want performance, you'll want to upgrade. There are a WIDE variety of tubes to choose from. The current darlings are the Elrog 300B or 300B-Mo. You'll also want to replace the driver tubes with something other than the stock 6SN7. I like the RCA Grey Glass, but they're pretty pricy.

Tube rolling is part of the adventure of owning a tube amp. You'll want to set aside at least $1,500 for 300B's and anywhere from $100 - $600 for 6SN7 (or variants).

Spend some time reading THIS thread and THIS thread to get an idea where to start.
So amazing! Thanks for the links, it sounds like another rabbit hole. I’m already sinking slowly under the 12au7s and Kt88s. But these are another level expensive.

Oct 30, 2022 at 4:49 PM Post #333 of 462
So amazing! Thanks for the links, it sounds like another rabbit hole. I’m already sinking slowly under the 12au7s and Kt88s. But these are another level expensive.
How does this compare to the Cayin 300b mk2? I have been browsing through and there seems to be a noise issue but Zach likes it. It’s also in the same price range. Anyone who has compared the two?

Oct 30, 2022 at 6:22 PM Post #334 of 462
How does this compare to the Cayin 300b mk2? I have been browsing through and there seems to be a noise issue but Zach likes it. It’s also in the same price range. Anyone who has compared the two?
No idea. I can tell you the Woo is assembled in New York and I don't know of anyone who's had any QC issues in the 10( years of it's existence.

Oct 31, 2022 at 2:32 PM Post #335 of 462
From what I remember the Cayin does not have any gain control beyond what the volume knob does, so it's not suited for less sensitive headphones if you can't stand a noticeable noise floor. Whereas the WA-5 has effectively 4 levels of gain, and does as good as you could theoretically expect from a 300B tube amp as far as noise.

Nov 1, 2022 at 3:12 PM Post #336 of 462
Does anyone use a preamp for this amp? I’m running the Holo Spring3 and was wondering if I need a preamp after it?

Nov 1, 2022 at 3:18 PM Post #337 of 462
I don't but mine is set up on the desk right next to me, so I have no need for a remote, either. PC > DDC > DAC > Woo...

Nov 1, 2022 at 4:37 PM Post #338 of 462
I don't but mine is set up on the desk right next to me, so I have no need for a remote, either. PC > DDC > DAC > Woo...
Yeah, that is really the main reason for me, too. I could utilize my Burson to intercede but it is a very expensive overkill solution and makes me wonder how much it would color the Holo sound before it reaches the Woo.

Nov 8, 2022 at 12:27 PM Post #339 of 462
It’s here! Currently driving the Diana v2 a with it. I agree that the stock tubes are suffering a bit of oomph. But I will likely let it settle in before I splurge $1300 on the 300Bs.

The static whack while switching the output level is startling. But, it has lots of power. Is there a chart for recommended settings? I'm assuming Hi input level is a 1:1 so all hard-to-drive planars will need this. Also, I'm keeping it at Lo impedance and Lo output level.

The stock also came with 5U3Cs. Are these worth upgrading?

image.jpg

Nov 8, 2022 at 12:32 PM Post #340 of 462
Upgrade everything. Leave the rectifier till last or as budget allows.

Nov 8, 2022 at 3:39 PM Post #341 of 462
I see that you are partial to Elrog 300s and you also have the Takatsuki. I mainly listen to Electronica and Alt rock with occasional Jazz. Which one suits these genres?

Nov 8, 2022 at 5:40 PM Post #343 of 462
The following is for discussion purposes only and for fun.

I'm afraid I must disagree with the statement "Leave the rectifier till last or as budget allows." Rectifiers should be first!

I purchased a Woo WA22 about 10 years ago with stock tubes. Upgraded the Rectifier to a Western Electric 422A. It was like night and day. I'm going to include some links in my discussion below.

Remember, we are talking about tube amps. The tubes ARE the amp; what you are buying from a manufacturer is just cases, wiring and knobs, potentiometers, connections, etc.

Lucasz Fikus, head of Lampizator said (admittedly for DACS "As we know POWER IS EVERYTHING. We effectively listen to power supply modulated by the signal. So the power supply is even more important than the output stage circuit itself. Thats why 70 % of budget of the DAC goes to the power supply.") 70% of budget goes to power supply! Link: http://www.lampizator.eu/fikus/TECHNOLOGY.html

Power supply in a tube amp is the rectifier.

WE JUST reintroduced its fabulous 300B rectifier. Why? For audiophiiles. https://www.westernelectric.com/300b.

I mean no offense, but purchasing a tube amp and not putting the best tubes in it is a waste. Starting with the rectifier.

Attaching DubStep Girl's Rectifier page from years ago (for Woo WA22 Amps) as an fyi. WA5-LE uses these rectifiers as power tubes.

Also the old Head-Fi 6SN7 driver tube discussion.

Leave the wife and kids. 2 WE 300B's; 2 WE 422A's (NOS) and NOS 6SN7's of your choice as drivers. You'll be broke, but will happy. Kinda New World Order! :)

Have fun.

-Bill

Attachments

• Dubstep Girl's Massive 5AR4-5R4-5U4G Rectifier Review-Comparison.docx
    288.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Reference 6SN7 - VT-231 Driver Tube Materials.docx
    108.9 KB · Views: 0
Nov 8, 2022 at 5:53 PM Post #344 of 462

I'm afraid I must disagree with the statement "Leave the rectifier till last or as budget allows." Rectifiers should be first!

I purchased a Woo WA22 about 10 years ago with stock tubes. Upgraded the Rectifier to a Western Electric 422A. It was like night and day. I'm going to include some links in my discussion below.

Remember, we are talking about tube amps. The tubes ARE the amp; what you are buying from a manufacturer is just cases, wiring and knobs, potentiometers, connections, etc.

Lucasz Fikus, head of Lampizator said (admittedly for DACS "As we know POWER IS EVERYTHING. We effectively listen to power supply modulated by the signal. So the power supply is even more important than the output stage circuit itself. Thats why 70 % of budget of the DAC goes to the power supply.") 70% of budget goes to power supply! Link: http://www.lampizator.eu/fikus/TECHNOLOGY.html

WE JUST reintroduced its fabulous 300B rectifier. Why? For audiophiiles. https://www.westernelectric.com/300b.

I mean no offense, but purchasing a tube amp and not putting the best tubes in it is a waste. Starting with the rectifier.

Attaching DubStep Girl's Rectifier page from years ago (for Woo WA22 Amps) as an fyi. WA5-LE uses these rectifiers as power tubes.

Leave the wife and kids. 2 WE 300B's; 2 WE 422A's (NOS) and NOS 6SN7's of your choice as drivers. You'll be broke, but will happy. Kinda New World Order! :)

Have fun.

-Bill
My mistake. The WE 300B's have been out for a while; it was their proprietary amp that was just released. Sorry. -Bill

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2022 at 5:57 PM Post #345 of 462

Have fun.

-Bill
I agree! The rectifier tube affects the ‘quality’ of power to the amplifier circuit and to everything ‘down-circuit’.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back