Woo Audio WA11 Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Jun 18, 2020 at 11:54 AM Post #616 of 774
I was wondering if it was just me. After returning 3 DAPs after being unimpressed, I think I’m done buying them for awhile. I’m not sure what the online reviewers of these things are hearing that I’m not.

Good to know about the WM1Z.
Lmao audiophile review sites rarely say anything negative about anything. They might as well be advertisement sites.
In this hobby, audition is the only way to go. Unfortunately, that is the cold hard truth :frowning2:

Jun 22, 2020 at 11:24 PM Post #617 of 774
Just picked up a WA 11 and I have to say its a revelation when paired with the Verite C's I just picked up. I have though stumbled on a bit of a unique issue. Anything I stream via SoundCloud is barely audible. Every other website or streaming service works fine - but for some reason not Soundcloud. As someone who listens to a ton of electronic music that's pretty much a deal-breaker. Could I ask someone to check and see if they are experiencing the same issue of if its just my WA11?

Jul 20, 2020 at 7:04 PM Post #618 of 774
Just picked up a WA 11 and I have to say its a revelation when paired with the Verite C's I just picked up. I have though stumbled on a bit of a unique issue. Anything I stream via SoundCloud is barely audible. Every other website or streaming service works fine - but for some reason not Soundcloud. As someone who listens to a ton of electronic music that's pretty much a deal-breaker. Could I ask someone to check and see if they are experiencing the same issue of if its just my WA11?

Are you on a mobile device (iOS or Android)? Are you playing SoundCloud via the app or web browser? We recommend setting the system output to max. If the input signal from the source is low then the amplifier is starving for signal strength to amplify.

It sounds like a setting issue on the player, not an issue with WA11. We can assist you better if you can provide more details about your setup. Pictures would be helpful too.

Jul 20, 2020 at 7:11 PM Post #619 of 774
It’s on low. I confirmed with Mike at Woo Audio that this was normal given my easy to drive headphones.
Ether 2 and AFC on high gain, balanced, at around 8 o'clock.

Fostex TH900 on high gain, single-ended, at around 7 o'clock.

I found the imbalance started to disappear at around 6.5 and up, so I'm fine using high gain on my headphones. While on IEM, low gain is a must as noise start to creep in once it turns past 7 o'clock. It's almost unusable with sensitive IEM unfortunately.

if the output is too sensitive for your headphone or earphone, you can reduce the output signal of the computer or mobile player.

- in macOS, adjust this in the "AudioMidi" application

- in iOS, adjust this by volume Up/Down buttons

- in Windows 10, adjust this in the Sound Settings "Master volume" slider

- in Android, adjust in "Media volume" slider or volume Up/Down buttons

Jul 20, 2020 at 7:16 PM Post #620 of 774
Anyone looking to sell their WA11? Please PM me if you're looking to sell yours.

check out the "specials" page at the bottom of our website. Many great deals there. :)

Jul 21, 2020 at 7:33 AM Post #621 of 774
Are you on a mobile device (iOS or Android)? Are you playing SoundCloud via the app or web browser? We recommend setting the system output to max. If the input signal from the source is low then the amplifier is starving for signal strength to amplify.

It sounds like a setting issue on the player, not an issue with WA11. We can assist you better if you can provide more details about your setup. Pictures would be helpful too.

Thank you mate. It was temperamental Windows session that was the issue not the WA11. Incredible amplifier.

Jul 21, 2020 at 2:58 PM Post #622 of 774
Jul 24, 2020 at 5:30 PM Post #623 of 774
My WA11 is broken now, Woo is trying to say the Moon Audio's cable has a wrong connection.
I have asked them to provide me a return label. They refused and told me that they are giving 'free consulting' about their problem. Will cover all fees for inspection, repair(if needed), and get it back to me for free.
So I sent my Diana Phi(w/ JPS 4.4mm upgrade cable), WA11 to them at my own cost.
Guess what?
They are asking me money for all three parts(inspection, repair, shipping.) Saying they have nothing wrong but it is all my fault and Moon Audio's cable's fault.

I tried to call them after they denied everything in email. But they didn't answer and then BLOCK my phone #.

What a great company...

Jul 25, 2020 at 12:26 AM Post #624 of 774
Regarding the Pentaconn connection’s GND pin, it is true that some DAPs leave it unconnected/floating such as the Sony WM1A/Z. But there are other DAPs that do connect the 5th pole to GND such as the Lotoo LPGT and Fiio M11 Pro. I also believe iBasso DAPs connect them too, so yeah it depends on which DAP you use.

What is a correct cable to use under these circumstances? When you don’t have a GND from the 2.5mm output or your 4.4mm DAP’s output port also leave it floating. Check out the adaptors PW Audio made for AK players to 4.4mm & also their Sony ground pin adaptor.

Jul 28, 2020 at 4:25 AM Post #625 of 774
My WA11 is broken now, Woo is trying to say the Moon Audio's cable has a wrong connection.
I have asked them to provide me a return label. They refused and told me that they are giving 'free consulting' about their problem. Will cover all fees for inspection, repair(if needed), and get it back to me for free.
So I sent my Diana Phi(w/ JPS 4.4mm upgrade cable), WA11 to them at my own cost.
Guess what?
They are asking me money for all three parts(inspection, repair, shipping.) Saying they have nothing wrong but it is all my fault and Moon Audio's cable's fault.

I tried to call them after they denied everything in email. But they didn't answer and then BLOCK my phone #.

What a great company...
[Moderator Hat On]
I've moved responses to this topic in this thread to a new thread found here (created by the OP's friend) :-

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/do-not-buy-woo-audios-products-and-heres-why.938266/

These conversations are drifting off-topic about the WA11 and more about Woo Audio's customer service.

Technical conversations about the WA11 and its compatibility to other source DAPs can continue here (such as @ayang02's post above) but all else about Woo Audio's service specific to @JohnZS's case can continue in that new thread shown above.

Note, the other thread will also be monitored and very closely therefore please ensure to just post FACTS. I know everyone likes drama and want to add their 2c worth just to add fuel to fire, that will not be tolerated.

Jul 28, 2020 at 4:43 AM Post #626 of 774
Regarding the Pentaconn connection’s GND pin, it is true that some DAPs leave it unconnected/floating such as the Sony WM1A/Z. But there are other DAPs that do connect the 5th pole to GND such as the Lotoo LPGT and Fiio M11 Pro. I also believe iBasso DAPs connect them too, so yeah it depends on which DAP you use.

What is a correct cable to use under these circumstances? When you don’t have a GND from the 2.5mm output or your 4.4mm DAP’s output port also leave it floating. Check out the adaptors PW Audio made for AK players to 4.4mm & also their Sony ground pin adaptor.
A couple of years back, a few of us were privy to the Pentaconn 4.4mm design shared to us by an adopting manufacturer. By design, the 5th pole was included for GND as mentioned. Therefore in theory, an appropriate cable should have grounding and I understand what Woo is saying that probably a Y-split cable where the balanced connectors go to the 2.5mm (or Sony's NW-WM1Z 4.4mm) whilst the GND goes to the SE 3.5mm GND (and of course L/R unconnected).

This has been demonstrated last year at least since Aug 2019 :-

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/woo...eview-head-fi-tv.879132/page-32#post-15155472
&
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/woo...eview-head-fi-tv.879132/page-32#post-15155514

Now maybe other folks may have gotten lucky getting way with a direct 2.5mm -> 4.4mm without GND cabled. However it's not by design and just got lucky. I'm hoping to build my own XLR -> 4.4mm to feed from my Holo Spring to the WA11 one day and I'd be sure the GND is wired.

Jul 28, 2020 at 6:03 AM Post #627 of 774
If connecting 4-pole input could damage the device, I think WooAudio should put that in warning somewhere. My quick start guide didn't mention this and even the guide is showing Sony WM-1Z with 4.4 to 4.4 only, no mention of the need of special grounded cable. If it is known issue, then WooAudio should clarify this.

Jul 28, 2020 at 6:53 AM Post #628 of 774
Maybe, but I guess it'll depend on how far to go on giving advice. For example, I don't know of many DAP/Amp makers that warn you to stop sticking balanced headphone jacks into a SE 3.5mm/6.3mm via adapters. One may argue that it's common knowledge but we still many that do try the same mistake.

I'm not saying that they shouldn't up a warning but then so should all other makers adopting 4.4mm sockets. 4.4mm isn't specific to Woo.

Which quick start guide BTW? Sony's or Woo's? I have both the WA11 and the NW-WM1Z, and I want to look it up. TIA

Jul 28, 2020 at 7:34 AM Post #629 of 774
Maybe, but I guess it'll depend on how far to go on giving advice. For example, I don't know of many DAP/Amp makers that warn you to stop sticking balanced headphone jacks into a SE 3.5mm/6.3mm via adapters. One may argue that it's common knowledge but we still many that do try the same mistake.

I'm not saying that they shouldn't up a warning but then so should all other makers adopting 4.4mm sockets. 4.4mm isn't specific to Woo.

Which quick start guide BTW? Sony's or Woo's? I have both the WA11 and the NW-WM1Z, and I want to look it up. TIA

The WA11 quick start guide. You can download it here: https://wooaudio.com/s/WA11-quick-start-guide.pdf

Sure, it isn't mentioning WM1Z, but the illustration clearly resembles it and suggest that 4.4 to 4.4 from Headphone Out can be used.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2020 at 3:00 PM Post #630 of 774

The WA11 quick start guide. You can download it here: https://wooaudio.com/s/WA11-quick-start-guide.pdf

Sure, it isn't mentioning WM1Z, but the illustration clearly resembles it and suggest that 4.4 to 4.4 from Headphone Out can be used.

Actually, Mike told me that since WM1Z's 4.4mm is not intended for devices, therefore using it directly via 4.4mm w/ WA11 is not the correct way to use it.

I did question him why the 'compatibility issue' is not noted on the product page and manual, he said by stating 'Pentaconn' is enough and it is the customers' responsibility to know all protocol and designs defined by Pentaconn. I then further questioned their marketing practice about the WA11, his final answer was that Woo might consider adding the keyword '5-pole' into the their product spec.

[Mod edited]

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back