Woo Audio 3+ vs. Darkvoice 3322, which is the better amp?
Aug 22, 2010 at 5:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Flaapy

New Head-Fier
Still new to this, but I own HD650's and I've narrowed my choices down to these 2 amps. Which would go best with the senheisers?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Aug 23, 2010 at 2:12 AM Post #2 of 10
Both cost around the same. However that's if you stay in the US.

If not then the Woo will be much more expensive due to shipping and duties.

Sound wise I have heard neither and so cannot comment.

Aug 23, 2010 at 6:52 PM Post #4 of 10
If you ask a Woo owner (like me), they'll say the Woo is better.  Vice versa for the Darkvoice.  If you can, go to a meet and audition some amps.  I'll bet your local town might have a club.

Aug 24, 2010 at 12:59 PM Post #5 of 10
I did not audition a Darkvoice - but I may say that the WA3 (former WA3+) is wonderful with the HD650s, provided you use the right tubes. I do not know if this may be of any help but surely you do nothing wrong using one. I learned from this forum though, that a WA2 might be considered as well - provided you have the budget for it and are willing to roll a little bit more of those tubes - which I may not emphasize enough. I use a moon audio replacement cable for the Senn as well.

Aug 26, 2010 at 3:26 AM Post #6 of 10
For what its worth, I don't own either of these amps, but I do own the WA6 and the Darkvoice 337, and prefer the Darkvoice. I'd elaborate, but I'm not sure it'd be useful to this thread.

Aug 26, 2010 at 3:39 AM Post #7 of 10
I just realized the WA6 is transformer coupled amp, while the Woo 3 is an OTL amp like both the Darkvoice 3322 and 337. So my comparison doesn't really apply..

Aug 26, 2010 at 7:45 AM Post #8 of 10
Ya, from what I've read, Woo's OTL amps tend to sound a little more "tubey" than their transformer-coupled amps.  I can't verify firsthand, but I can say that my Woo 3 OTL has a hint of tube bloom to it.  Never heard the Woo 6.

Quote:
I just realized the WA6 is transformer coupled amp, while the Woo 3 is an OTL amp like both the Darkvoice 3322 and 337. So my comparison doesn't really apply..

Aug 27, 2010 at 5:24 AM Post #9 of 10
So let it bloom.....
smile.gif
Cannot detect anything wrong with the WA3 (WA3+) sound. I once auditioned a Lehmann Black Cube Linear - praised for its compatability with the Senn HD800. I prefer my (tubey ?) Woo.

Oct 7, 2010 at 7:55 PM Post #10 of 10

Quote:
Ya, from what I've read, Woo's OTL amps tend to sound a little more "tubey" than their transformer-coupled amps.  I can't verify firsthand, but I can say that my Woo 3 OTL has a hint of tube bloom to it.  Never heard the Woo 6.

I think it may be the other way around.  From the limited listening I've done at meets, the OTL options (WA2 and 3) sound considerably less tubey to me than the WA6, for example.

See also post no. 2 in: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/320731/tubey-tube-amp and post no. 1 in http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/239029/woo6-versus-doge-6210-shootout

Users who are viewing this thread

Back