Wireless Headphones for TV - Advice?
Mar 3, 2014 at 5:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

bollyraja

New Head-Fier
I am currently using Beyerdynamics DT770 with my TV using the optical output going into a DAC then Phono to an AMPs (Corda Aria) headphone jack.

The wire is not long enough now, so im looking for a wireless headphone solution for watching movies/console etc with good noise isolation, enough so that the sound is not heard outside an average sized room.

I have read reviews for the following:

Sennheiser RS160, RS170, RS180
Sony MDR-DS6500
Sony MDR-1RBT
Bose AE2W

My budget is between upto £200, so i thought id ask the experts on this forum for sincere advice.

Thanks 
color]

Mar 3, 2014 at 10:11 AM Post #3 of 9
It's mainly for a living room so i will be sitting far back and don't really want a long wire going to my TV, plus a wireless suits me in case i need to walk about whilst watching TV (which i often end up doing) or using it in different rooms (i won't be the only one using this). Mainly need one to watch movies, not really for music. I know wireless can't be compared to wired, but if you were to go for the wireless option, which one would you recommend?

Mar 3, 2014 at 10:44 AM Post #4 of 9
Well, the sennheisers don't have optical in, so that would be a deal breaker for me.  I'd say the next best for quality would be the sony's and they have optical in, so you can do dts and dolby in surround.  But I think you want the MDR-DS6500 not the other one, since the MDR-1RBT are bluetooth and not really meant for your tv.  The bose are probably overpriced for what you get and I wouldn't get those.  YMMV, but for me the winner is the MDR-DS6500.  There is also a higher model in the MDR-DS series which is only available in japan, but you can get it imported from places like Amazon.  It does HDMI.  But you probably don't need those.  I have a pair and found I got some interference, but you always will on the 2.4 Ghz band.  They are the MDR-DS7500 I think they were called.  There is a review here.  Hope that helps.

Mar 3, 2014 at 11:06 AM Post #5 of 9
Very helpful indeed. I was actually more inclined towards the Sony MDR-DS6500 because of the optical input and reviews suggest the sound quality is pretty good. Really appreciate your advice on this matter and will let you know how it goes once i've started using them. Thanks a bunch :)

Mar 6, 2014 at 12:29 PM Post #7 of 9
Got the headphones two days ago and haven't had time to post about how great they sound! The 7.1 surround sound can truly be heard and feels so real watching movies, playing games on console, real punchy bass and quality sound. Ive connected using the DACs and bypassing the Corda Aria AMP when using analogue mode but also tried using optical with just TV and Headphone Base :

TV Optical Out -- > DAC Optical In --> Phono Out > Sony Headphone Base (Phono In) ---- Sound is louder but could hear a buzz when silent (maybe since its analogue)
TV Optical Out -- > Sony Headphone Base Optical In --> Sounds much better but not as loud as analogue. How could i make use of my corda aria amp? It only has phono connections at the back.

Any advise?

Mar 6, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #8 of 9
Do you have the volume out on the tv set to fixed or adjustable?  If it's adjustable, turn the volume on the tv up.  If it's fixed, try adjustable with the volume louder.  Let me know if that works.

Apr 5, 2014 at 5:04 AM Post #9 of 9
I looked at the Sony's that were mentioned but they're more than I want to spend. My hearing is not the best (too much loud music when I was younger), IOW I'll never fully appreciate the better headphones. I just want something for casual TV listening at night so I don't wake up other family members. Is there anything half-way reasonable in quality for about $50?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back