Winter Deal: HM-601 Player and RE-Zero Combo $259
Nov 27, 2010 at 7:06 PM Post #91 of 152
Head-direct's website shows the item as in stock. My player shipped the next day. I ordered mine the same day that Fang advertised it here. I am very satified with the quality of product, the accessories, and the most importantly the sound quality. You get portable audiophile quality sound for $169 (after substracting cost of RE-ZERO). It is a great deal.

Dec 3, 2010 at 10:30 AM Post #92 of 152
Just got my 601 yesterday. So far I am super happy with it, I had a old Cowon D2+ and I think this plays a good bit better then the cowin did. Also using Shure 530's with it and have J16 pros on order so will update it when I get my new buds next week.

Dec 3, 2010 at 1:17 PM Post #93 of 152
Does the 601 have gapless playback.. ?
I have an S:Flo 2 now .. Sounds good but the UI, touchscreen and lack of gapless playback is deal breaker for me.

Dec 3, 2010 at 8:31 PM Post #95 of 152
crap! no gapless. ugh.. No 601 for me. Thank god for DIYPOD's and rockbox :)

Dec 3, 2010 at 10:53 PM Post #97 of 152
For certain genres and albums albums without gapless ruins the experience. A lot of trance and classical would not sound as good if there are gaps in between tracks. If you have Pink Floyd DSOTM listen to it without gapless and it would not sound as good.

Dec 4, 2010 at 3:27 PM Post #98 of 152
Yeah.. many albums would be ruined without gapless. Seems like a silly feature for Hifiman to pass up. oh well, back to the DIYPOD for me.

Dec 4, 2010 at 3:55 PM Post #99 of 152
I haven't tried it on the 801, which has the same limitation as the 601, but wouldn't ripping a CD all at once with a CUE file to allow individual track selection do it?  EAC supports that mode.  Anyone tried it?

- Ed

Dec 4, 2010 at 4:32 PM Post #100 of 152

Quote:
I haven't tried it on the 801, which has the same limitation as the 601, but wouldn't ripping a CD all at once with a CUE file to allow individual track selection do it?  EAC supports that mode.  Anyone tried it?

- Ed

Tried (on the 801)... doesn't work ... but you can have a separate cue file in the same folder ... unfortunately the individual tracks show up in one long list via CUE Lists menu entry only ...

(... why can't one search in one's own posts here ... it's ridiculous ... tried to find my other post regarding that matter ...)

Dec 6, 2010 at 5:56 AM Post #102 of 152
This looks like a good deal (for a non-audiophile but who enjoys good sound), however, I still have some questions.

So (see quote below) no additional tax if you were to live in Holland/The Netherlands (Europe)?
Normally when I order software (and I presume it is the same for electronics) from the USA the standard tarif
is 15% extra (and additional custom costs).However, items coming from Hongkong (China) I have ordered
in the past (cellphones and Sony MDR V6) did not include this additiontal taxes.

Additional questions:
- How does it relate to Cowon S9 (better/worse/ important differences) concerning sound
  quality (don't care that much about the other stuff).
- How much is it better than iPod Touch 3rd generation in combination
    with Earsonics SM3 + custom earmolds.  Basically asking if I will notice a big difference.

Quote:
If you live in America is should ship from America. If you live in the rest of the world, it comes from China.

Dec 11, 2010 at 2:51 PM Post #103 of 152
what audio formats are supported on the 601.. I can't find a data sheet on this thing.. also is there are line out.. or just headphone out.

D'oh.. My bad.. I found it.. Too bad there is no Wav Pack support.

Supported Files: (taken from warp08)

FLAC: VBR 16bit 44.1kHz and 24bit 48kHz(?).

APE: High Mode, Normal, Fast.

AAC: 16 to 320 kbps.

WMA: 8 to 356 kbps.

OGG: Quality 0 to Quality 10.

WAV: PCM, MSW-ADPCM, IMA-ADPCM

MP3: 8 to 320 kbps.

Dec 13, 2010 at 5:45 PM Post #105 of 152
Ok, I am pulling the trigger! HM-601 here I come..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back