Winnipeg meets' thread (Ongoing)
Jul 16, 2017 at 7:56 PM Post #3,076 of 4,133
Did somebody change any settings or something on my laptop? My JRiver is completely dead (it froze and now I can't load it, even after a reinstall) and even my whole computer seemed slowed down and my browsers aren't loading. Yes I've already rebooted a couple times.

Jul 16, 2017 at 9:22 PM Post #3,077 of 4,133
Did somebody change any settings or something on my laptop? My JRiver is completely dead (it froze and now I can't load it, even after a reinstall) and even my whole computer seemed slowed down and my browsers aren't loading. Yes I've already rebooted a couple times.
Sorry to hear that. For what it's worth I didn't use your comp as a source today. I hope you figure it out soon. Thanks for hosting again, and good to see the few who made it. Always a treat for the ears.

Jul 16, 2017 at 9:48 PM Post #3,078 of 4,133
Thanks for hosting another meet, Nathan. Hope your computer issues get sorted out.
For what its worth, I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary during the time I was using your laptop.

Jul 16, 2017 at 10:42 PM Post #3,079 of 4,133
Yeah it was weird... Right after you guys left my whole system crashed and it's been buggy since.

Some thoughts on gear:
- Rifi's Frankenphones were a big surprise. I'd put them on par with the Sennheisers.
- aqsw's Felik's amp: really great soundstage, Viper loved the bass with the Senns, though it was a bit too much for me; but I thought it was a very good match with planars
- Ika's Technics headphone... I think this one garnered the same looks we all had with the Sony Z1R last time... great fit and comfort (though heavy), but a total pass on the sound for the price. To be fair, I'd rank this better than the Sony in terms of sound, but that's not saying much
- Viper's Wells Audio Milo: too warm for my tastes, surprisingly light physical weight

Jul 16, 2017 at 10:48 PM Post #3,080 of 4,133
Sorry to hear about your computer Nathan. Thanks for hosting.

Jul 28, 2017 at 12:38 AM Post #3,082 of 4,133
@-iKa- I recently bought a cheap pair of headphones because they had pads that would fit my old Yamaha orthos. If you are interested in the cups and headband for your own DIY project, they are yours for free. They are certainly cheap, but they fold well and the cups are just large enough for 40mm drivers. I know you liked my V7 DIY cans, these could conceivably be the beginning to your own pair of V7 frankenphones. don't mind the terrible photo quality, snapped with webcam.
WIN_20170727_23_33_09_Pro.jpg

Jul 29, 2017 at 7:15 PM Post #3,083 of 4,133
Is anyone here into flashlights? I've got a new part time job that potentially has me crawling around in confined spaces and wouldn't mind a decent portable light. I'm not looking to spend tons of money, but would like something better than the Walmart/Canadian Tire specials.

Jul 29, 2017 at 7:39 PM Post #3,084 of 4,133
I use one of the surefire LED lights all the time.
similar to this: SureFire G2X Series LED Flashlights with tough Nitrolon body
https://www.amazon.com/SureFire-Dua...d=1501371349&sr=8-4&keywords=surefire+6p&th=1
Is anyone here into flashlights? I've got a new part time job that potentially has me crawling around in confined spaces and wouldn't mind a decent portable light. I'm not looking to spend tons of money, but would like something better than the Walmart/Canadian Tire specials.

Jul 29, 2017 at 8:22 PM Post #3,085 of 4,133

What's your budget? If you can stretch it, then something like the Olight S2R is worth considering. It is rechargeable via USB, variable brightness, fits in your pocket protector, built to withstand pretty harsh conditions and on and on. I've got a few Olight flashlights, including the S2R's big brother, the S30R, and I can vouch for their quality.

Jul 30, 2017 at 1:04 AM Post #3,086 of 4,133
@Velomane @bearFNF
Thanks guys. As much as the gear geek in me would like to get something like the Olight, I'm not sure I'd use it enough to justify spending $100. Then again, we've all got crazy headphones so this is the pot calling the kettle black. Do you have any old ones you'd consider selling?

There's also a guy on kijiji with a Fenix PD30 for $40. Seem decent?

Ugh, I'm gonna start researching endless EDC stuff at this rate.

Jul 31, 2017 at 9:07 AM Post #3,088 of 4,133
Hey Winnipeg crew, it's been a long time since I posted here. I'm glad to see the meets are still happening! If I was still living there, I'd love to come by again.

I'm selling my iBasso D2-Boa headphone amp/DAC and I wanted to mention it here locally before I start posting on Canuck Audio Mart/Kijiji/eBay/etc. Any interest? I'm happy to give a deal to Winnipeg Head-Fi forum members before I list it for higher.

Send me a PM if you're interested! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back