Winnipeg meets' thread (Ongoing)
Aug 28, 2017 at 7:50 PM Post #3,106 of 4,133
So my ridiculously specced amplifier came in. I'm loving it so far, and I'm getting an HE-500 in soon to really test it's capabilities.

I also noticed today that this is the most replied to thread in local/regional head-fi meets by a pretty significant margin!
upload_2017-8-28_18-49-59.png
That said, considering the margin in between the UK meet thread and ours, I'd be surprised if someone hadn't already pointed this out

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #3,108 of 4,133
IMG_20170901_144936.jpg

So I got these in today, and I'm liking them quite a bit so far. Seeing as people around here have done quite a bit of HE-6 modding are there any essential mods that I should do? So far I've noticed some weirdness with male vocals in the mids as well as the treble being a bit splashy.

Sep 2, 2017 at 4:39 PM Post #3,109 of 4,133
- remove the rear grills for starters
- take out anything else behind the driver
- deoxit for the cup connectors, or just hardwire in if you can because those are terrible connectors
- look up "jerg mod" for pads
- possibly a felt ring under the pads
- possibly use bluetack to seal the driver into the cup (most people will pull the driver out entirely before using blutack, but the risk of screwdrivers going awry into the driver is everpresent)

Sep 4, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #3,110 of 4,133
Would anyone here be interested in the RME ADI-2 Pro? I have a review unit that I need to send back, but I have the opportunity to purchase it at a really good deal. I already have my Prism dac which has mic preamps that I need, otherwise I'd jump on this, but I'd be happy to pass along the deal to someone here. The RME is a fantastic dac and balanced headphone amp, with a TON of dsp options built into the interface itself (many levels of EQ, crossfeed, actual proper loudness functions, filter selections, etc etc. In terms of sonics, I'd easily put this on par with the Yggy or my Prism dac.

Sep 4, 2017 at 6:38 PM Post #3,111 of 4,133
So I made some jerg pads, and I'm liking them quite a bit more than the focus pads, and I can't really understand why. The bass and overall presentation of the Focal Pad is so much cleaner, but I find myself leaning towards the jerg pads purely for tonality and timbre, despite the fact that it goes against most of my preferences.

I've also tried removing the grills multiple times, and every time I've liked it much more than they sounded with grills, but I just don't trust myself with exposed drivers. The slightly cleaner treble and deeper bass extension almost made me want to take that risk though.

One more thing I tried was beyer velour pads, but they managed to add some weird treble peaks which were quite unpleasant (and were unsurprisingly in the same places that beyers get their peaks).

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2017 at 12:40 AM Post #3,112 of 4,133
I've also tried removing the grills multiple times, and every time I've liked it much more than they sounded with grills, but I just don't trust myself with exposed drivers. The slightly cleaner treble and deeper bass extension almost made me want to take that risk though.

If you're worried about the exposed drivers, get some women's nylon stockings and very lightly stretch them over the opening. Use the retaining rings to hold them down, then simply trim off the excess.

The longer method is to make your own grills from a more open backed material (get a metal or plastic wastebasket from the dollar store). Use the existing grills as a template and simply cut to shape. A plastic one should be easy; a metal one will take a bit of time and some good shears. Mine are metal and I used some spray glue to hold the nylons down onto them.

Sep 24, 2017 at 3:19 PM Post #3,118 of 4,133
Nice! Now you're gonna start chasing speaker amps like us nutjobs...

Sep 24, 2017 at 4:20 PM Post #3,120 of 4,133
You missed that pair of Benchmark AHB2's there were on CAM just the other day =P

Are you digging through the DHGate/Taobao sites looking for amps?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back