Winnipeg meets' thread (Ongoing)
Aug 3, 2017 at 4:34 PM Post #3,093 of 4,133
Indeed! I'm living in Denmark. But I've got some gear back in Winnipeg that I'd like to sell, since, well, I'm not using it at all.
This will eventually include my Grado HF-2s, when I get around to it!

Hope you've been well?

I guess I should probably delete your Winnipeg number from my phone then eh? :o2smile:

It's been how many years since I've seen you? Life has changed tons yet so little at the same time. The headphone game here has upped significantly though!

Aug 4, 2017 at 4:15 AM Post #3,094 of 4,133
I guess I should probably delete your Winnipeg number from my phone then eh? :o2smile:

It's been how many years since I've seen you? Life has changed tons yet so little at the same time. The headphone game here has upped significantly though!

Oh yeah, that number is long gone. :p

It's probably been four years. And yes, amazing how time flies! In the time since my headphone/audio hobby has largely been reduced. I still have that 8-channel DAC I've been working on, but without access to it, it just sits in a box, waiting to see the light of day. I bet that the USB to I2C board in it doesn't even have drivers for Windows 10... I wonder if I can sell the project in an unfinished state. It does have a Buffalo 8-channel DAC in it and a lot of Twisted Pear boards, after all.

Still holding onto my Grado HF-2s for now, but I'm strongly considering selling them, just because I rarely use them anymore, and I feel like they're too big to own. I've downsized a lot in life and continue to do so!

Aug 4, 2017 at 11:33 PM Post #3,095 of 4,133
Cd release party tommorow. Handsome Daughter on Sherbrook. Ask for Rogie, and I will buy you a drink,

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #3,097 of 4,133
Aug 8, 2017 at 1:38 AM Post #3,099 of 4,133
Though a $25 cmoy can also achieve 0.1ohm output impedance... so that in of itself is no real indicator. Most opamps with high feedback and non-buffered or cap-coupled outputs without some kind of shorting or oscillation protection can achieve results that low.

Aug 8, 2017 at 1:43 AM Post #3,100 of 4,133
Ah, I just thought it was slightly unusual as I'd never seen it that low before. Other stats I found unusual are:
28W into 32 ohms (on balanced output)
THD of <0.001% (for the output power I believe that's slightly odd)
18VRMS
S/N of 110db (again, because of the output power)

Opamp being used is the LME49720HA

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #3,101 of 4,133
28 Watts?? That's an insane power figure for headphones and immediately makes me worry about noise and the gain structure of the amp.

The THD that low would be impressive if that's at max output. Buuuut, proof is in the pudding. Specs from those sites aren't exactly known for being truthful.

18 Vrms into 32 ohms is 10 Watts. Not quite 28W but still very high. That's roughly the same voltage output as my smallest Bryston amp (which is not quiet enough for most headphones without a resistor pad)

Ah the 49720HA is a well known quantity. It's the metal can version of the... I think LM4556. Slightly better specs, mainly better temperature handling at the cost of the larger die package and the wrangling you need to account for the longer leads and power supply bypass caps. .

Aug 8, 2017 at 2:12 PM Post #3,102 of 4,133
Noise levels I'm not too worried about as it's got gain switches. It is also listed that the maximum output current for the amp is 2A, which I assume is helping with achieving 28W.

THD also doesn't seem that out of line, especially when looking at the specs of the LME49720HA's specs

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2017 at 3:37 PM Post #3,103 of 4,133
Hey folks,

I’m down in Saint Paul but will be up in Winnipeg in September so, I thought i’d check this thread…

Saw an ancient comment about Minneapolis meets and thought I’d let you all know that I’m working on a joint meeting of the local Audio Society (trad hi-fi folks) and Head-Fi chapter. See:

I know it’s a crazy long drive for you all but thought I’d let you know.

Aug 9, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #3,104 of 4,133
#omasciarotte thanks for thinking of us. I've looked at the Minneapolis meet threads in the past and have been quite envious of the sheer amount of gear available for listening. Perhaps I will make it down there for one, sooner than later.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back