Windows 7 a DRM Monster...?
Feb 18, 2009 at 1:54 AM Post #46 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe because you havent ever bought anything from the iTunes store and tried to share it with someone or bought something with the dreaded Starforce DRM? I have bumped into these and it completely and utterly sucks.

People wanting to "share" the music/games/movies they've purchased with someone is how we got into this position in the first place...

Feb 18, 2009 at 1:59 AM Post #47 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rempert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
People wanting to "share" the music/games/movies they've purchased with someone is how we got into this position in the first place...

So what is it called when you let someone borrow your CDs? The digital form of sharing is the equivalent, in practicality. It is just much much easier and more prevalent as well as allows the ability to play the files in multiple locations. The last bit is the only boundary that is crossed that seems to get people's goat (particularly the RIAA). However, I believe there is no way piracy without profits will be completely illegal. You just can't eliminate the fact that it's really just sharing.

You might as well try to stop people from sharing headphones. Alot of people purchase headphones to try them, not just keep them forever and ever (the one reason why our FS forums are so active is due to this fact). However, there are a number of people who let others try their headphones for weeks or even months at a time. You want to prosecute them too? Because headphone companies are losing money due to free tryouts?

Regardless, I eventually buy all the music I like and delete the ones I don't. I understand that musicians and companies who own the music(ians) lose the profits on the properties they own. No need to lecture. You're preaching to the choir.

Feb 18, 2009 at 2:02 AM Post #48 of 53
1. Who wants to real-time record anything streamed over the net anyway?

(on second thought, I have to do that some times for work related projects, speeches and what not ... )

2. If MS does indeed attempt to code in some sort of preventative measure as that, then it will be reversed/cracked/hacked in a month at the most; so ... no worries ...

3. RE: Macs ... they're pretty and solid performers but you can't overclock them and to me that's just about as lame as it gets ...
wink.gif
... in a work environment, a top o line, latest PC can *always* be 25% to 30% faster when rendering audio/video than any top o line, latest mac system simply due to the ability to overclock. It's true. Hate to say it ...

Otherwise ... I'm still using XP ... a three year old install that is flawless ... chalk it up to rigorous back ups and not messing with my basic work/play system over the years ... it's all tools and audio and past that, I don't go jacking with it ...

Other than to bump it up to 4ghz over it's stock 2.66ghz CPU clock speed that is ...

Overclocking FTW.

L3000.gif

Feb 18, 2009 at 2:17 AM Post #49 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by s1rrah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. Who wants to real-time record anything streamed over the net anyway?

(on second thought, I have to do that some times for work related projects, speeches and what not ... )

As I said in a previous post in this thread, I like to record streamed concerts (NPR offers a lot of these over the Web). But there's more to it than that. I resent having ANY capability taken away from me, however minor, when there is just no reason to justify the change.

This, incidentally, is one of the things that scares the piss out of me about cloud computing. Less control for the user, near-omnipotence for the service provider. Gulp.

Quote:

2. If MS does indeed attempt to code in some sort of preventative measure as that, then it will be reversed/cracked/hacked in a month at the most; so ... no worries ...

You are probably right about this. But again, why should this be necessary? It gives some of our brightest coders something to keep them busy, but this cat-and-mouse game just can't benefit consumers on any level.

Quote:

Otherwise ... I'm still using XP ... a three year old install that is flawless ...

My current XP desktop is an ancient Micron that has to be at least seven years old. Ram is maxxed at 2gb, and it now sports a total of four (!) hard drives, including a 500gb Trekstor external. It would sieze up if I tried to run state of the art games, but it's just fine for what I do. Audio and video performance is smooth.

At some point, I just got over the need to upgrade every 18 months. And now that my commercial choices are Vista/Win7 or the Mac, any new hardware would definitely run Linux (Ubuntu probably). I'm gonna run my XP puppy till it rolls over and dies. With the occassionaly boot into Ubuntu via live disk.

Feb 18, 2009 at 7:43 AM Post #51 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by genclaymore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I actually edited every thing out so it wouldnt happen but i guess the forums still posted what I org said. Instead of what I posted in it place.

Edited my post in response.

Feb 18, 2009 at 10:31 AM Post #52 of 53
All those years ago I used to record FM concerts using a stereo VCR hooked up to a tuner. Much easier to get the whole thing in one go and then dub to cassette at ones lesiure. Sound quality was pretty stable and accurate too.

But that was 20 years ago. Things and people change. Just dont feel the need anymore.

Anyway back to DRM.....

Feb 18, 2009 at 10:43 AM Post #53 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by daglesj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All those years ago I used to record FM concerts using a stereo VCR hooked up to a tuner. Much easier to get the whole thing in one go and then dub to cassette at ones lesiure. Sound quality was pretty stable and accurate too.

But that was 20 years ago. Things and people change. Just dont feel the need anymore.

Anyway back to DRM.....

Funny you should say that. Just did the exact same thing, except from the Web, rather than FM. The new Asobi Seksu album is streaming on Spinner.com. Also available on eMusic.com. So I just ran a dub of it from Spinner. Gonna burn it to CD, not gonna break it into individual tracks.

Why? Because I have it "saved for later" on eMusic, but my account doesn't refresh for a couple weeks. So for the next few, I'll listen to it on my PCDP, and as soon as my eMusic account refreshes, I'll download he VBRs (which will almost certainly be higher qual than the stream I downloaded), and then I'll delete the file I streamed from Spinner.

Anybody hurt by this?

BTW. Asobi Seksu, you know, RAWKS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back