Windows 7 a DRM Monster...?
Feb 17, 2009 at 9:27 PM Post #31 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe because you havent ever bought anything from the iTunes store and tried to share it with someone or bought something with the dreaded Starforce DRM? I have bumped into these and it completely and utterly sucks.

I have games with starforce DRM and they didnt give me any problems at all. Not even the so called killing dvd drives that some people claim happen to them.

Which I dont belive happen at all.

Feb 17, 2009 at 9:39 PM Post #33 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by genclaymore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have games with starforce DRM and they didnt give me any problems at all. Not even the so called killing dvd drives that some people claim happen to them.

So because it doesn't happen to you it doesn't exist? Wow. I've had a couple of games and they take AGES to install, the pickup is going crazy. Pioneer DVD-RW drive.

Feb 17, 2009 at 9:55 PM Post #34 of 53
Lol. That's like saying that, because you have never had a monitor or computer die on you (never had one die on me), you don't believe it ever happens. That's either stupid or crazy or both.

Quote:

Originally Posted by genclaymore /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Feb 17, 2009 at 9:59 PM Post #35 of 53
Quote:

Lol. That's like saying that, because you have never had a monitor or computer die on you (never had one die on me), you don't believe it ever happens. That's either stupid or crazy or both.

Maybe because he hasen't died, he believes everyone lives forever?

Feb 17, 2009 at 10:07 PM Post #36 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe because he hasen't died, he believes everyone lives forever?

LOL
L3000.gif

Feb 17, 2009 at 10:09 PM Post #37 of 53
drm issues with games exist. the war against piracy continues to be a comedy of errors. life is far from easy. the sky is sometimes blue. i like cheese and crackers. if everyone could hear what live music sounds like vs a 128kps compressed pos over cranked mp3, they would still probably buy the mp3 70% of the time b/c they are lazy.

all truths.

now go have a beer and a smoke. cheers.

Feb 17, 2009 at 11:25 PM Post #38 of 53
ZDNet has a blog post about that Slashdot article. It's titled Worst. Windows 7. Piece. EVER!. Last line of the blog calls it "Utter nonesense". What an embarrassment for Slashdot that the article even made it to the front page.

In computer as a source for audio and video, DRM is something to be watched for. But be reasonable. Some DRM isn't always bad. Rental services that allow you to download content wouldn't be able to function without DRM. Same for subscription services where you get all the music you want for a monthly fee. Having support for those kinds of DRM systems isn't evil.

DRM in purchased (rather than subscribed or rented) content is more of a danger and something to be avoided.

Feb 17, 2009 at 11:56 PM Post #39 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ham Sandwich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ZDNet has a blog post about that Slashdot article. It's titled Worst. Windows 7. Piece. EVER!. Last line of the blog calls it "Utter nonesense". What an embarrassment for Slashdot that the article even made it to the front page.

In computer as a source for audio and video, DRM is something to be watched for. But be reasonable. Some DRM isn't always bad. Rental services that allow you to download content wouldn't be able to function without DRM. Same for subscription services where you get all the music you want for a monthly fee. Having support for those kinds of DRM systems isn't evil.

DRM in purchased (rather than subscribed or rented) content is more of a danger and something to be avoided.

To be honest, I actually agree with the man who wrote the ZDNet article, and next to that.

1. If you break something, in this case Photoshop CS4, don't blame someone/something else! You damnright know you did it yourself.
2. It's not a finished, complete OS, that's why it's called a beta.
3. You thieving b******* brought this upon yourselfs, you know who you are!

I know I occasionally download some MP3's and I'm not whining about the cr*pload of DRM falling down on me, because deep down I know the companies are right, protecting their products.

Because Microsoft is such a big company and Windows is such a widely used OS, it has to carry the burden of complying to a lot of anti-piracy laws so it can be released world-wide. If they don't, they'll get the RIAA, MPAA and even the Supreme Court of the EU on their ass.

Funny thing, only the people trying to do illegal things are the people complaining about DRM and whatnot.

For what it's worth, I think it's a great OS now, and if improved, it'll be the best OS I've used.

Feb 17, 2009 at 11:56 PM Post #40 of 53
Problems with Starforce? More likely folks with crappy PC setups, they exist in their millions unfortunately. I know they exist.

I've known several installations of Starforce and yet again no problems. I used to run Silent Hunter 3. Ran perfectly.

DRM just isnt the big problem people make it out to be.

If some folks didnt expect everything to be free, DRM wouldnt be an issue for them.

Move on and take it on the chin.

Feb 18, 2009 at 12:20 AM Post #41 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by realmike15 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... i'll just keep buying CD's. $3-4 extra dollars is no sweat off my back.

If only it were just $3-$4 dollars. I can certainly hear the difference between uncompressed and 128k, and I refuse to pay for such low bitrate files, especially given iTunes astronomical prices for poor quality sound.

When I factor eMusic into the equation, the picture gets much murkier. eMusic sells only VBR files, which, while not as good as uncompressed, sound considerably better to me than 128k files. The selection of indie, classical and world music is excellent; I never have any trouble finding more than enough tracks to spend my monthly allotment of 100 downloads. The kicker is that those tracks cost $0.25 each. As in $3.00 for a twelve track album.

I last bought CDs at Borders during the holidays. One current title (Wynton and Willie) and two ancient catalog items: Eva Cassidy's duet album with Chuck Brown and a Jimmy Smith Blue Note from the early 60s. The cheapest of them was $17.95!!! For two old catalog items, and in the case of the Wynton and Willie, a modest live album that cost next to zero to record.

That's more than a $3 to $4 difference, by my calculation.

Seriously, I agree with you. CDs are always preferable. But until a record company representative starts giving me a kiss for every CD I buy (I like to get kissed when I'm being ******), I am forced to look elsewhere. I can't spent $20 per CD. And at least in the shops, that seems to be the going rate these days. When people stop buying your product, raise the price. Brilliant.

Feb 18, 2009 at 12:33 AM Post #42 of 53
Don't buy from Borders...? Lol.

I get all my stuff from Half.com or Yourmusic.com

If you're in the UK, you can get 320 mp3 from 7digital.com (US selection of music for 7digital is worse than ****, imo).

Feb 18, 2009 at 12:38 AM Post #43 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by daglesj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Never felt the need to record an online audio stream so not a biggie for me.

I'm a little older than most of the people around here, so I have memories of using a component cassette deck to record (mostly) live shows that were broadcast on FM. I still have some, now digitized, that I made more than 30 years ago. The US Supreme Court repeatedly ruled that such recordings of broadcast material, for personal use, are completely legal. The same went for making copies of an LP for use in a car cassette player.

More recently, I have used my soundcard to record live shows that are streamed online. This is something that I enjoy doing, and which seems in no way differerent from recording an over-the-air broadcast. I am alarmed by the possibility of not being able to do this in the future, or of having to find some cumbersome workaround in order to continue doing it.

If you accept the idea that streamed concerts are essentially similar to FM broadcasts, this amounts to nothing less than an attempted end-run around decades of legal precedent. The record companies and their insect lawyers couldn't prevent me from using my cassette deck. Now that cassettes are gone, they are trying to do essentially the same thing. This is an attempt to take away a right that has been vetted and deemed legal repeatedly.
Quote:

Originally Posted by John E Woven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it's slashdot.

do you honestly believe it?

Not necessarily. That's why I started this thread. I wanted to see what other people think. I look at Slashdot in pretty much the same way that I look at Wikipedia. An incredibly useful resource sometimes, but caveat emptor!

Feb 18, 2009 at 12:49 AM Post #44 of 53
Quote:

Don't buy from Borders...? Lol.

Well yes, that would be a solution. But the extortionate prices charged by storefront shops are especially frustrating because I wouldn't mind paying a resonable premium over downloads. Aside from the superior sound quality, there is the tactile pleasure of flipping through the racks, looking at the album art, reading the cover notes, etc. So I would be quite willing to pay a premium of, say, $5 - 6$ to cover the physical packaging, shipping and inventory costs, etc.

But $20 vs $3.50 for the same recording? Ummm...that would be a no.

Much has been made of how older consumers (I'm 48) are the last demo that actually buys CDs. Well, we may be old, but we ain't stupid. I would be perfectly willing to shop at bricks n morter shops if I were treated like something other than a mark. Thing is, my name's not Mark. It's Jonathan.

Feb 18, 2009 at 1:46 AM Post #45 of 53
Yea the price of music cds are silly when you just want one song. Thats why I haven wonder into a music store and not seeing techno/trance etc music locally. Which my local music store is a target in a mall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back