Windows 7 a DRM Monster...?
Feb 17, 2009 at 12:19 PM Post #16 of 53
Who cares only mugs buy from download stores. Buy the CD rip as many times as you want, to as many codecs as you want, on as many computers, DAP's, NAS's as you want.

Quote:

CUPERTINO, California—April 2, 2007—Apple® today announced that EMI Music’s entire digital catalog of music will be available for purchase DRM-free (without digital rights management) from the iTunes® Store (Apple - iTunes) worldwide in May. DRM-free tracks from EMI will be offered at higher quality 256 kbps AAC encoding, resulting in audio quality indistinguishable from the original recording, for just $1.29 per song. In addition, iTunes customers will be able to easily upgrade their entire library of all previously purchased EMI content to the higher quality DRM-free versions for just 30 cents a song. iTunes will continue to offer its entire catalog, currently over five million songs, in the same versions as today—128 kbps AAC encoding with DRM—at the same price of 99 cents per song, alongside DRM-free higher quality versions when available.

Feb 17, 2009 at 1:45 PM Post #17 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Who cares only mugs buy from download stores. Buy the CD rip as many times as you want, to as many codecs as you want, on as many computers, DAP's, NAS's as you want.

X10

Feb 17, 2009 at 2:28 PM Post #18 of 53
Never felt the need to record an online audio stream so not a biggie for me.

Carry on.

Feb 17, 2009 at 3:38 PM Post #19 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No one cares to mention itunes & itunes store? Hardly open ended can't export your store bought tunes to CD, without sound quality loss, or save as de-DRM'd as the music is stored on itunes incompatible music streaming system.

Exactly. I think it's ridiculous to moan about Microsoft and praise Apple when Apple is the King of screwing up consumers with DRM.

Feb 17, 2009 at 3:57 PM Post #20 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by daglesj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Never felt the need to record an online audio stream so not a biggie for me.

Carry on.

Same as I never bothered to record it either.I just usually go looking for that song.

Feb 17, 2009 at 4:08 PM Post #21 of 53
Before this article, I was actually interested at Windows 7. I guess I continue using linux until the thought police (by then the alternative OSses are made illegal) gets me.

Feb 17, 2009 at 4:37 PM Post #22 of 53
sevensheaven_drm.jpg

Feb 17, 2009 at 5:26 PM Post #23 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by progo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Before this article, I was actually interested at Windows 7. I guess I continue using linux until the thought police (by then the alternative OSses are made illegal) gets me.

Even if it is true it shouldnt matter I never understood why people get pissy over DRM as if you wanna record drm music so bad theres other ways to get around it like prolly sending the audio of the line out of one card to a line in of another sound card or device.

I dont mind DRM as it doesnt bother me just like the DRM the HDCP has,Doesnt bother me that I needed a montior with HDCP, as most montiors now a days supports that same with video cards.

Another thing is you also dont know if the article is true because they said the same thing about vista.I still remember something slimar like this but with DRM music getting deleted off your computer by vista. It turned out to be bs.

So this article prolly BS and spreading around by anti windows groups. Because I really belive it will not happen like the so called vista drm deleting fisco that people was getting worked out over.

Feb 17, 2009 at 6:22 PM Post #25 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by genclaymore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even if it is true it shouldnt matter I never understood why people get pissy over DRM as if you wanna record drm music so bad theres other ways to get around it like prolly sending the audio of the line out of one card to a line in of another sound card or device.

I dont mind DRM as it doesnt bother me just like the DRM the HDCP has,Doesnt bother me that I needed a montior with HDCP, as most montiors now a days supports that same with video cards.

Another thing is you also dont know if the article is true because they said the same thing about vista.I still remember something slimar like this but with DRM music getting deleted off your computer by vista. It turned out to be bs.

So this article prolly BS and spreading around by anti windows groups. Because I really belive it will not happen like the so called vista drm deleting fisco that people was getting worked out over.

I agree. As far as I know DRM hasnt stopped me doing stuff I want to do. I dont even think I've come across it.

As far as I am concerend DRM is just a frenzy tool for those with not much going on in their lives and a short fuse to spout off on.

Always makes me laugh when folks go "Zune? Loaded with rancid DRM poison!" Like its a mantra that actually has no basis in real world usage.

Pure Freetard bait.

Feb 17, 2009 at 6:42 PM Post #26 of 53
Maybe because you havent ever bought anything from the iTunes store and tried to share it with someone or bought something with the dreaded Starforce DRM? I have bumped into these and it completely and utterly sucks.

Quote:

I agree. As far as I know DRM hasnt stopped me doing stuff I want to do. I dont even think I've come across it.

As far as I am concerend DRM is just a frenzy tool for those with not much going on in their lives and a short fuse to spout off on.

Always makes me laugh when folks go "Zune? Loaded with rancid DRM poison!" Like its a mantra that actually has no basis in real world usage.

Pure Freetard bait.

Feb 17, 2009 at 7:06 PM Post #27 of 53
Again with the MS FUD, we had all this a couple of years back when Vista came out, and no one has heard a peep from the complainers since then.

This is the usual MS is evil baloney that we get every time that a new OS is released. Remember the hullabaloo about XP activation?

It's almost as if people want to believe that MS is the bad guy here..

Not so much, blame the RIAA and MPAA and all their cronies for this.

Simple solution, pop in a half decent sound card and buy a mini > mini cable and there you go.Can't all cards record while they play also these days?

Alternatively, move all your files to a new O/S or computer, that will be MUCH easier.

DRM in a digital world is a given these days, get used to it.. it's pretty much the same on a mac as it is for a PC. Linux might be an alternative, for the more techy people, but joe public? Not gonna happen.

Personally I've never needed to record a stream of audio. I think I used Total recorder once must have been circa 1999, didnt think they still were in business.

If they can get it to work in Vista, which of course people said was impossible back then..then Win 7 probably wont be an issue.

As for Cracked software.. well, little sympathy there.. theres plenty of freeware alternatives for every OS. If you need CS4, buy it. I had to buy CS3.3 in august for my wifes course, then had to buy CS4 this January, thanks to Adobe's lack of a decent upgrade path for Student editions.

Feb 17, 2009 at 8:22 PM Post #28 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe because you havent ever bought anything from the iTunes store and tried to share it with someone or bought something with the dreaded Starforce DRM? I have bumped into these and it completely and utterly sucks.

Guess I'm not daft then. King of the world!
beerchug.gif

More DRM, bring it on!

Feb 17, 2009 at 8:37 PM Post #29 of 53
i don't buy DRM music, ever. i refuse to buy music that is lower than CD quality. the few sites that have lossless don't have much of a selection, i can never find any Indie music on there.

i'm still amazed that we stepped back in quality, but i guess most consumers can't tell the difference between 128kbps MP3's and 16-bit 44.1khz CD's. itunes has the biggest selection available, so until they release all music as being DRM-Free and offer Apple Lossless or FLAC... i'll just keep buying CD's. $3-4 extra dollars is no sweat off my back.

Feb 17, 2009 at 8:51 PM Post #30 of 53
Quote:

Guess I'm not daft then. King of the world!
beerchug.gif

More DRM, bring it on!

You may not be daft, but you are ignorant in the ways that DRM pains peoples' lives. So stop trolling and trying to get other peoples' goats.

Quote:

Originally Posted by realmike15 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i don't buy DRM music, ever. i refuse to buy music that is lower than CD quality. the few sites that have lossless don't have much of a selection, i can never find any Indie music on there.

i'm still amazed that we stepped back in quality, but i guess most consumers can't tell the difference between 128kbps MP3's and 16-bit 44.1khz CD's. itunes has the biggest selection available, so until they release all music as being DRM-Free and offer Apple Lossless or FLAC... i'll just keep buying CD's. $3-4 extra dollars is no sweat off my back.

Yeah, I am basically only buying CDs or downloading FLACs. I am looking to get into SACD and/or 24/96 musics like from HDTracks. I partly blame Apple and Bose for people not caring about quality because their products don't really relay the lowly qualities of a 128 mp3 to peoples' ears and their products are undoubtedly some of the most used products in America.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back