Win a FREE set of UE-10's and help name our newest product
Sep 1, 2006 at 2:40 AM Post #271 of 312
Quote:

Originally Posted by tucker71
Well, congrats Vincent. Hope you enjoy all TWELVE drivers.

Have you thought about changing your name to "Lucky.fi Contest Pro"??

Yeah, Jude needs to give this guy a custom title, like "that jerk who wins all the UE10s"
tongue.gif

Sep 1, 2006 at 2:59 AM Post #272 of 312
I'm a bit puzzled by the name....I was sure they would have picked a "Super Fi" prefix

And adding "10" as the number seems to be too big of a jump, unless they plan on something filling in the middle. "7" would have made more sense. It works for BMW.

I am looking foward to this IEM to give the Shure a run for its money. And hopefully it will undercut it in price too (no need for that PTH thingy)

Sep 1, 2006 at 3:33 AM Post #273 of 312
Congratulations, Vincent. That's winning-the-lottery odds--that you would win another pair of UE-10 Pros.

I'll still dream about them...

I entered the contest, and my entry was Ultimate Ears Super.fi 3D. Had I known that I didn't have to include "super.fi", I would've developed other names.

At least I feel better about this contest (other entries were better than mine) than I did about iLounge's one for the Shure E500 this past May. I clearly had the best entry, but did not win, thanks to their vague rules...

Sep 1, 2006 at 11:53 AM Post #276 of 312
Quote:

The "new" name is a bit underwhelming IMO.

And so much for falling under the "Super.Fi" naming moniker.

But the name doesn't mean squat. It's all about how it sounds.

-Ed

If it's underwhelming, I'm thinking it's probably so because the rules forced 99% of the entries to stick with the super.fi prefix. I think looser regulations would have brought in more creative entries - but then, it seems like UE was thinking of conservatively marketable names to begin with anyway so the results may not have differed.

Regarding sound - I'm not too overwhelmed with the UE10 Pro sound anyway so if the UE10 Pros are anything for these universals to be modeled after sonically, I am not all that excited about the new triple.fi's. (I was shockingly disappointed with the UE10s first, now I lowered my expectations and have learned to live with them since they cost so much... I have made several posts during the past year detailing my observations and feelings towards my UE10 Pros) I feel that the UE10 Pros are not a hi-fi product - the sound is way too smeared and bloated at conservative listening levels to be so (doesn't get that much better at higher levels but it sounds a bit better.)

Here's an interesting thought - it would be very interesting for UE to come up with something really suitable for the name "super.fi" - something tailored for hi-fi enthusiasts like us here on Head-Fi rather than on-stage musicians or those looking for lots of bass. Something with a clean, unsmeared sound (ER-4 series are the cleanest I've heard) with a frequency response similar to other hi-fi cans (perhaps emphasis on mids?). Not sure if this is possible with current IEM technology (multiple drivers required for full frequency response, but this necessitates use of tiny crossovers that smear the sound) but it would be VERY cool and probably VERY popular among hi-fi enthusiasts (or wannabes like me) if marketed correctly.

But then, there are plenty of very respectable people here who think that the UE10 Pros are the best sounding things on Earth. I think there's plenty of room for improvement, given the seemingly inferior ER-4's superiority in many sonic aspects. (Debatable, of course, as with anything so don't flame me.)

Anyway. To be perfectly honest I can't help but to feel a bit awkward about someone getting two pairs of UE10 Pros for free. I was actually thinking how other people would feel about me if I won this pair when I already had previously purchased one - and it wasn't the most comfortable thought given that having a second pair identical IEMs isn't exactly practical or necessary for most people (musicians would be different since they would need backups.)

I would have been very happy about the outcome if:

1. The winner was someone who does not or has never had UE10 Pros before. (Not by an enforced rule, i.e. "current owners or previous winners cannot apply," but by pure innocent chance, of course.)

2. The winning entry followed the originally strongly implied prefix requirement.

I apologize to Vincent (and others) for this post - I have nothing personal against him and I really do congratulate him for the spectacular run of two free UE10 Pros and I hope that he enjoys his new pair
wink.gif
. I just feel that UE could have conducted this whole event a little better. The results unfortunately have left a bitter aftertaste in my mouth.
frown.gif

Sep 1, 2006 at 12:52 PM Post #277 of 312
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
The "new" name is a bit underwhelming IMO.

And so much for falling under the "Super.Fi" naming moniker.

But the name doesn't mean squat. It's all about how it sounds.
wink.gif

-Ed

The name is only significant because there was a contest with a really great prize, with rules that were somewhat misleading which limited your chances of winning if you took them too literally. At the risk of sounding like a sore loser, I guess I have to agree that the outcome of the contest is disappointing too.

I guess all there is to do now is to wait until there is more information about how it actually sounds. There is precious little information revealed about it so far.

Sep 1, 2006 at 12:53 PM Post #278 of 312
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver
There is precious little information revealed about it so far.

Given that it's named triple.fi 10 Pro I'm very tempted to think that it has very similar, if not identical drivers and crossover as the UE10 Pro.

Just a speculation, though...
wink.gif
Would be very interesting if it was significantly different.

Sep 1, 2006 at 2:12 PM Post #280 of 312
Quote:

Originally Posted by skudmunky
what is The Monkey gunna do with 2 pairs of UE10s anyway? Since he already has the metal colored one, he should go crazy and get like, pink and neon green or something.

Now he can have one with an open mouth impression and one with a closed mouth impression, and he can test for burn-in. Congrats.

Sep 1, 2006 at 4:48 PM Post #281 of 312
I think it was weird that they said to keep it in the super.fi family, when clearly triple.fi has no connotation of being part of such. And he already has a pair of UE-10pros? I like the name, but in all fairness it wasn't in the guidelines and he already has a pair. I'm not sure if that's fair to people who didn't get a free 900$ set of headphones.
confused.gif
confused.gif

Sep 1, 2006 at 5:23 PM Post #282 of 312
Quote:

Originally Posted by doobooloo
I would have been very happy about the outcome if:

1. The winner was someone who does not or has never had UE10 Pros before. (Not by an enforced rule, i.e. "current owners or previous winners cannot apply," but by pure innocent chance, of course.)

2. The winning entry followed the originally strongly implied prefix requirement.

1. Some participants also had/have UE-10 pros, but still entered anyway...also Vincent won them, but doesn't mean he can't give it to his wife, loved one, etc.

2. I agree. The new name implies that this IEM is in a new family.

Sep 1, 2006 at 7:01 PM Post #283 of 312
im speechless. My submission was:

1) Super.fi 7 (pro)
or
2) Super.fi 10 (pro)

depending on where UE thinks the product stands. I received no email replies, no cds either.

Triple.fi apparently sounds like it's in another family. Anyway, congratulations for winning another pair of them

Sep 1, 2006 at 7:45 PM Post #284 of 312
Quote:

Originally Posted by kin0kin
I received no email replies, no cds either.

me neither...and I didn't get that winner announcement email, either. I wonder if they actually read my submission to get my email address.

Sep 1, 2006 at 8:37 PM Post #285 of 312
Quote:

Originally Posted by MtotheDeez
Hey - Mike here from UE. Just wanted to clarify. The name is actually only: triple.fi 10 pro

So it is part of the super.fi family but different.

And did we mention "conspiracy theory" already. Vincent - didn't you win something last time????

You forget that Vincent already has a free pair of UE10 Pro's?
wink.gif

Super.Fi Triple.Fi 10 Pro. Quite a mouthful there.

I liked SuperDuper.Fi 10 Pro better.
biggrin.gif

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back