Win a FREE set of UE-10's and help name our newest product
Sep 1, 2006 at 8:56 PM Post #286 of 312
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
You forget that Vincent already has a free pair of UE10 Pro's?
wink.gif

Super.Fi Triple.Fi 10 Pro. Quite a mouthful there.

I liked SuperDuper.Fi 10 Pro better.
biggrin.gif

-Ed

As already explained, there is no super.fi, just a triple.fi.
tongue.gif

Sep 1, 2006 at 9:08 PM Post #287 of 312
Quote:

Originally Posted by doobooloo
If it's underwhelming, I'm thinking it's probably so because the rules forced 99% of the entries to stick with the super.fi prefix. I think looser regulations would have brought in more creative entries - but then, it seems like UE was thinking of conservatively marketable names to begin with anyway so the results may not have differed.

Regarding sound - I'm not too overwhelmed with the UE10 Pro sound anyway so if the UE10 Pros are anything for these universals to be modeled after sonically, I am not all that excited about the new triple.fi's. (I was shockingly disappointed with the UE10s first, now I lowered my expectations and have learned to live with them since they cost so much... I have made several posts during the past year detailing my observations and feelings towards my UE10 Pros) I feel that the UE10 Pros are not a hi-fi product - the sound is way too smeared and bloated at conservative listening levels to be so (doesn't get that much better at higher levels but it sounds a bit better.)

Here's an interesting thought - it would be very interesting for UE to come up with something really suitable for the name "super.fi" - something tailored for hi-fi enthusiasts like us here on Head-Fi rather than on-stage musicians or those looking for lots of bass. Something with a clean, unsmeared sound (ER-4 series are the cleanest I've heard) with a frequency response similar to other hi-fi cans (perhaps emphasis on mids?). Not sure if this is possible with current IEM technology (multiple drivers required for full frequency response, but this necessitates use of tiny crossovers that smear the sound) but it would be VERY cool and probably VERY popular among hi-fi enthusiasts (or wannabes like me) if marketed correctly.

But then, there are plenty of very respectable people here who think that the UE10 Pros are the best sounding things on Earth. I think there's plenty of room for improvement, given the seemingly inferior ER-4's superiority in many sonic aspects. (Debatable, of course, as with anything so don't flame me.)

Anyway. To be perfectly honest I can't help but to feel a bit awkward about someone getting two pairs of UE10 Pros for free. I was actually thinking how other people would feel about me if I won this pair when I already had previously purchased one - and it wasn't the most comfortable thought given that having a second pair identical IEMs isn't exactly practical or necessary for most people (musicians would be different since they would need backups.)

I would have been very happy about the outcome if:

1. The winner was someone who does not or has never had UE10 Pros before. (Not by an enforced rule, i.e. "current owners or previous winners cannot apply," but by pure innocent chance, of course.)

2. The winning entry followed the originally strongly implied prefix requirement.

I apologize to Vincent (and others) for this post - I have nothing personal against him and I really do congratulate him for the spectacular run of two free UE10 Pros and I hope that he enjoys his new pair
wink.gif
. I just feel that UE could have conducted this whole event a little better. The results unfortunately have left a bitter aftertaste in my mouth.
frown.gif

Ditto!

I was thinking the same thing. After all this waiting and then someone who has already won a FREE pair wins again, and nothing against him, but I dont even like the name to boot. And I also agree about the prefix, they tell us its joining that family, well when my wife joined my family she took my name. So I again agree with the above post that if I would have known that the "rules" were not going to be heavily considered I would have had many other ideas. The whole thing seems to have left me feeling disapointed and sour. Once again, this has nothing to do with the Monkey, congrats on your win! Just wish this would have ended a little better.

Tim

Sep 1, 2006 at 9:37 PM Post #288 of 312
This is a sponsored thread so I am not sure I can close it. Having read some of the reactions after the winner was announced it does appear there are some sore losers. I had to delete a long post that was a personal attack on one of the posters in this thread. While his attack was not appropriate, the comments he was attacking and some others were not appropriate in my opinion. I read the first post which announced the contest and there doesn't appear to be any rules (I didn't read the whole thread so if there are rules elsewhere, I missed it). If someone had a question, they could have asked. To rip the sponsor product in a thread they paid for to hold a contest like this is in poor taste. Isn't it time to get over it and move on. If you don't like the way the contest was done, then pm the sponsor and discuss it. This is just my opinion.

Sep 1, 2006 at 10:06 PM Post #289 of 312
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
This is a sponsored thread so I am not sure I can close it. Having read some of the reactions after the winner was announced it does appear there are some sore losers. I had to delete a long post that was a personal attack on one of the posters in this thread. While his attack was not appropriate, the comments he was attacking and some others were not appropriate in my opinion. I read the first post which announced the contest and there doesn't appear to be any rules (I didn't read the whole thread so if there are rules elsewhere, I missed it). If someone had a question, they could have asked. To rip the sponsor product in a thread they paid for to hold a contest like this is in poor taste. Isn't it time to get over it and move on. If you don't like the way the contest was done, then pm the sponsor and discuss it. This is just my opinion.

I am not sure if you are referring to me but I am not being a sore loser or bashing anyone. I have said several times this has nothing to do with the monkey or even UE I guess. I think we are all just a little surprised at the way it turned out. I by no means am bashing UE or attacking anyone. I just feel that the unoffical rule about the new product joining the super.fi family should have been better addressed. And in my first responce to the news of the winner I said the sun will rise tomorrow and life will go on. I am by no means going to loose sleep over not winning, was not really expecting to anyways.

So if you were referring to me then I apoligize for coming off as a sore loser, just a surprised not winner
wink.gif

Thanks UE for the CD its a nice CD, and thanks for the chance at naming your new product. Is there a release date yet?

Sep 1, 2006 at 11:57 PM Post #290 of 312
I'm callin' it right now:

[size=medium]Quadra.Fi 12 PRO[/size]

!!!

Sep 2, 2006 at 12:24 AM Post #291 of 312
Congradulations to the winner.

For the record, my submission was Super.Fi Omni XI (Omni as in universal fit, and XI being literally eleven, but rhyming with the rest of the name when pronounced "ehks-ai"). I liked Omni.Fi XI better, but per the suggestions from UE I avoided that one.

Sep 2, 2006 at 2:47 AM Post #292 of 312
An update: Mike Dias and UE have graciously allowed me to substitute a UE-5c and a sf5EB in place of the UE-10. Very cool. Hopefully I'll be able to help out folks trying to decide between several of the popular UE products. As for the color/design choice, I am thinking about asking UE to do what they want to show off their design capabilities (within reason
wink.gif
).

I'll leave the "fairness" debate to others as I am clearly not an objective party on that score. Further, because I would not have known of this competition if not for Head-fi, as I will be making a "thank you" contribution to the site.

Sep 2, 2006 at 2:52 AM Post #293 of 312
I guess initially, UE intended that the name should have been "SuperFi" something, but the Triple Fi entry sounded more cool than SuperFi to the judges, and thus it became the winner. It still sucks for us people that really stuck by the rules literally, as it really did limit my chances for me in my entries. But no sense harping on that point anymore.

What I want to know if the $25 coupon we will be getting is worth using. Is the street price going to be better than the preorder price? If so, then I don't mind waiting.

And the CD I received is pretty good actually musically although I was hoping that the CD would be a great demo CD that had some nifty technical demos, which didn't turn out to be the case.

Sep 2, 2006 at 3:28 AM Post #294 of 312
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey
An update: Mike Dias and UE have graciously allowed me to substitute a UE-5c and a sf5EB in place of the UE-10. Very cool. Hopefully I'll be able to help out folks trying to decide between several of the popular UE products. As for the color/design choice, I am thinking about asking UE to do what they want to show off their design capabilities (within reason
wink.gif
).

Awesome! I'd love to hear your impressions regarding the differences among the three UE products.
wink.gif

And - we want to see UE's design capabilities without reason.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 2, 2006 at 3:54 AM Post #295 of 312
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
I read the first post which announced the contest and there doesn't appear to be any rules (I didn't read the whole thread so if there are rules elsewhere, I missed it). If someone had a question, they could have asked. To rip the sponsor product in a thread they paid for to hold a contest like this is in poor taste. Isn't it time to get over it and move on. If you don't like the way the contest was done, then pm the sponsor and discuss it. This is just my opinion.

Ummmmmmm... my post was the one got deleted. I didn't mean it as a personal attack on anyone. I meant it as a general attack on all the whiners who are using this thread to trash a great sponcer who is the most generous I have ever seen anywhere with giving away free product.

I guess tyrions post above has the same idea, stated in a more appropriate manner. I will leave it at that. I am sorry if my post offended any of the non-crybabies.

Sep 2, 2006 at 8:20 AM Post #297 of 312
Yeah triple.fi's not doing it for me either....Hey The Monkey, how 'bout renouncing your claim; I still like my idea: super.fi 9.9
evil_smiley.gif

Actually, I think there's a Trek 9.9 bike, nevermind.

Everybody sent their names email, was there a thread with all the suggestion, just curious here.

latuh

Sep 2, 2006 at 8:25 AM Post #298 of 312
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey
wink.gif
).

I'll leave the "fairness" debate to others as I am clearly not an objective party on that score. Further, because I would not have known of this competition if not for Head-fi, as I will be making a "thank you" contribution to the site.

LOL, change the SF 5 EB to a SF 5 Pro, unless you really want some crazy powerful bass.
tongue.gif
Although it would make for fun movie watching late at night or on the plane.

Nice to see that you can get a spread of different UE products instead of two UE 10 Pro's. Kind of silly to have two identical customs. Unless you could give them to a friend or relative, because once the molds are made, it's permanent.

-Ed

Sep 2, 2006 at 8:26 AM Post #299 of 312
Quote:

Originally Posted by sisenor
was there a thread with all the suggestion, just curious here.

latuh

Yeah, I'd like to see a list of all the names that were entered. Or at least a list of the best ones, and the funniest ones.

How about it, Mike?
wink.gif

-Ed

Sep 2, 2006 at 2:07 PM Post #300 of 312
Here are the names I sent in with the stigma that super.fi may be added to them or not (noone was sure). I didn't add any numbers and such so I was close. But at least I get to say I came up with almost the same name.

Chimera or Chimaera
Cerberus
Trinity
Triple Force
TripleD
Triple.fi

Users who are viewing this thread

Back