Williamgoody's return
May 6, 2004 at 2:14 PM Post #17 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by rycet
tortie, I know that you mean good, but I think it's better for you not to put his personal info on head-fi. We don't want anything happen to head-fi.

I got those info in some head-fi threads also...anyway, I edited them out.

May 6, 2004 at 2:33 PM Post #18 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by tortie
Yes you are. But im sure many were burned. I wonder how much he got in his most recent scam here. What's scary is that he has other registered nicks as back-up. Im sure he would have used the 4P4me nick after slimm gets a bad rep if Jude had not checked him out.
frown.gif

I have no idea how it was technically possible to find out that Slimm, 4P4me and williamgoody are the same person (I guess that's something linked to the ISP?) - but I am just wondering if we can now be sure that he got back on head-fi only with *two* new identities and not with three or four... I really don't know. Or is this technical trick reliable enough to ensure discovering *all* identities belonging to one and only person?

May 6, 2004 at 2:49 PM Post #19 of 120
If the person accessed Head-fi with >1 user, connected using the same computer at a similar time, the IP address the connection was made with would be the same. http://whatismyipaddress.net/index.php/faq/1

I nearly got scammed too... got too greedy
rolleyes.gif
At least I could halt the MO in time... I've gotta start using an escrow service for dodgier transactions. (www.escrow.com)
cool.gif

May 6, 2004 at 3:33 PM Post #20 of 120
I just posted a small warning message in the feedback forum at the ipod studio...
The more people know the better, I guess
rolleyes.gif
frown.gif

May 6, 2004 at 3:51 PM Post #22 of 120
Man, I *knew* something was fishy about Slimm. I remember he had up for sale his 2nd Gen iPod for $200, then also added that into his "I Hafta Sell Ma" thread for $50 less, and apparently was still trying to sell both. Meanwhile, the fact that all his stuff was ridiculously low priced was a bit of a clue.

I actually thought about reporting all this, but it slipped my mind -- at least it got discovered eventually. Jackasses like this guy make good sellers like me look bad.
biggrin.gif

May 6, 2004 at 7:33 PM Post #23 of 120
this place is getting a little too big for me I think. I make an effort to do all of my buying/selling with people local to the SF area.

The scariest part is that williamgoody, at one time was a very respectable member in terms of feedback.

May 6, 2004 at 8:16 PM Post #24 of 120
[size=xx-small] Quote:

Originally Posted by raif
this place is getting a little too big for me I think. I make an effort to do all of my buying/selling with people local to the SF area.

The scariest part is that williamgoody, at one time was a very respectable member in terms of feedback.

[/size]I won't tell you whether or not you should feel comfortable buying or selling using Head-Fi's For Sale/Trade forums -- I will say that this is the first time and first person that I can remember being banned specifically for issues related to the Gear For Sale/Trade forums. I have bought and sold things on our forums, and will continue to do so. Unfortunate selling/buying situations happen just about everywhere, including eBay, Audiogon, Yahoo Auctions, etc.; and, the way I see it, the Head-Fi For Sale/Trade forums appear to me to be as safe as any other place for buying and selling stuff with strangers.

May 6, 2004 at 8:29 PM Post #25 of 120
Jude,

Don't get me wrong, I still go through the for-sale forums daily, I just tend to stick to people located locally. I have seen one too many "I just registered and I am selling my AT w2002 and other hard-to find items at an insanely low price" type threads.

May 6, 2004 at 8:45 PM Post #26 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by jude
I won't tell you whether or not you should feel comfortable buying or selling using Head-Fi's For Sale/Trade forums -- I will say that this is the first time and first person that I can remember being banned specifically for issues related to the Gear For Sale/Trade forums. I have bought and sold things on our forums, and will continue to do so. Unfortunate selling/buying situations happen just about everywhere, including eBay, Audiogon, Yahoo Auctions, etc.; and, the way I see it, the Head-Fi For Sale/Trade forums appear to me to be as safe as any other place for buying and selling stuff with strangers.

i use to have a greater sense of security when dealing on this forum...kinda sucks that slimm had to completely take that away. i was very close to sending him a lot of money for the sennheiser 650. but i know a majority of the sellers and buyers here are honest. stuff like this just enrages me...

May 6, 2004 at 9:12 PM Post #27 of 120
I have been scammed by williamgoody alias slimm alias 4P4me but I did continue to make transactions via Head-Fi without any other problems. The only 100% safe shopping is in brick & mortar shops (and even there, "100% safe" is just a way to speak
wink.gif
)

May 6, 2004 at 11:15 PM Post #28 of 120
I don't like to post much any more but I feel that this should get out in the open. I sold Slimm alias 4P4Me alias William Goody a pair of Grado RS-1 headphones a while ago. He insisted on driving to my home to pick them up. I didn't think much of it at that time. He paid in full and in cash. It was a good transaction.

Five minutes ago, I get an e-mail message from a person named "Glenn." Mind you, the very same person whom I sold the Grado RS-1s to was named "Glenn." It seems that "Glenn" wants some free tips and advice on his newly acquired Ultimate Ears UE-10 PRO earphones which he will receive by mail by 8:00 AM EST tomorrow morning...hmmm...

Does William Goody have multiple personality disorder or something? If so, then I know the name of a very good shrink in our area.

May 6, 2004 at 11:36 PM Post #30 of 120
Whew! 4P4Me was going to buy my HD25-1s awhile back and told me he would send a money order as payment. About three weeks went by and I never received the MO nor did he ever respond to my PMs after he supposedly sent that MO. It's a good thing I never did send those HD25-1s out on faith (before I received the payment) somehthing that I was thinking of doing at first. I'll never think about doing something like that again.
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back