Will you buy items at full MSRP?
Mar 23, 2008 at 8:54 AM Post #61 of 77
tbh almost all stores will give you a discount if u only do so much as ask for one. retail price for me is unheard of, simply due to the fact that 10mins researching what you want to buy will result in you getting a hefty chunk of that huge price tag off. msrp is for lazy people
rolleyes.gif

Mar 23, 2008 at 10:20 AM Post #63 of 77
MSRP is also for those who want something that simply cannot be had for any discount...unless you buy used.

There's all sorts of specialty stuff that falls under that blanket. For me, it's smaller boutique brand watches. Tell me where to get an Ocean7 from anywhere other than Ocean7, or tell me which of the few ADs they have are selling Bathys for anything other than MSRP, especially considering the demand. You don't find a lot of price fluctuations in the watch world. Yes yes, there's some of course, but they're so widely known as to be no secret. The only way to get some kind of good deal that no one else can get would be to not buy from an authorized dealer, which would be really stupid.

I also wouldn't buy bargain basement body modifications, but that's just me.
wink.gif

I wouldn't buy a bargain basement pet either. If the pet was inexpensive, then it would probably be a rescue case. If it's a rescue case, the price didn't factor into the choice. In fact, price doesn't factor into the choice regardless, other than knowing the going rates, and what you can't go above.

I just refrain from judging how much someone paid for something, because remember, this is a headphone forum. Because we all agree that headphones are cool, we tend to get into a groupthink and think everyone else is weird. The truth is, people outside this forum would judge us, and we don't like that, and we make fun of those people.

So I won't judge what someone else is willing to pay a lot for, as long as it's legal and doesn't hurt anyone.

Mar 23, 2008 at 12:40 PM Post #64 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't buy a bargain basement pet either.

So I won't judge what someone else is willing to pay a lot for, as long as it's legal and doesn't hurt anyone.

Good points, Kim, so I'll only address three of them. Old Pa's Rule: "you don't buy a pet, you buy a concession". Even with inflated market prices for well bred animals, the purchase price is the least of the deal. And since all my girls have wound up owning me, their purchase prices also wound up being negligible. What price for the spaniel girls who kept me warm and loved last night?

Lots of things were legal at some point in history that were not good ideas, then or now, and plenty of stuff is currently illegal somewhere only for the reason that governments exist to infringe on individual liberties. Being "legal" is never the best thing you can say about anything. Besides, we all judge, even under the auspices of saying openly that we do not. And a degree of judgment is a good thing. Problem is, judgments, like opinions, are not created equal despite rumours to the contrary. And all too often, the most judgmental are the least qualified.

As for "specialty items", when I've broken down the specifications on such items to actual performance characteristics without "bling" or fad, most times I can find a functional equivalent that is not price controlled.

Mar 23, 2008 at 12:59 PM Post #65 of 77
But if I have to give a disclaimer of what is meant "legal" then that would be a long list.

I just don't want to judge something that I have no business taking any stress about anyway. I'd say that if you break down the specs of a watch, and try to find a "bargain" based on what you really wanted, it usually doesn't work so well, depending of course on the watch.

The same can be extended to headphones, or lots of other stuff, so it's just easier to not stress about what someone else does in those situations.

Mar 23, 2008 at 6:03 PM Post #68 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Except the pico?

LOL. A classic case of "gotcha." I didn't realize the HFI-780 ALO modded headphones were available at a discount either
wink.gif

Mar 24, 2008 at 12:12 AM Post #70 of 77
I'm a tightwad. If something has ever been offered for sale at a lower price, I will not pay more - even if it means not getting the item. When I go out to dinner, I search the menu for the cheapest item - only if I really don't like it will I buy something more expensive. No matter how hungry I am, I will not pay $6 for a hotdog at a ball game. I need to find a good deal on almost everything I buy. It's a sickness, I'm sure. Still, it's better for one's financial health than being the other way. Whenever I start really wanting something expensive, I think to myself that I can really do without it. I'm a hard person to sell to. I would never, ever, pay extra for faster delivery - that's for sure.

Mar 24, 2008 at 12:33 AM Post #71 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by classicalguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm a tightwad. If something has ever been offered for sale at a lower price, I will not pay more - even if it means not getting the item. When I go out to dinner, I search the menu for the cheapest item - only if I really don't like it will I buy something more expensive. No matter how hungry I am, I will not pay $6 for a hotdog at a ball game. I need to find a good deal on almost everything I buy. It's a sickness, I'm sure. Still, it's better for one's financial health than being the other way. Whenever I start really wanting something expensive, I think to myself that I can really do without it. I'm a hard person to sell to. I would never, ever, pay extra for faster delivery - that's for sure.

Nice! And so honest. Sorry, but I just have to ask if you have one of those hand-written signs taped on your front door that says NO HANDBILLS.

Mar 24, 2008 at 12:51 AM Post #72 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by classicalguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice! And so honest. Sorry, but I just have to ask if you have one of those hand-written signs taped on your front door that says NO HANDBILLS.

Mine's "No Solicitors". And I love enforcing it. But being frugal is no disease. I carry granola bars along since they're so much better than junk food, cheaper, too. If you can avoid overpaying and impulsive spending, you can improve your standard of living by at least one notch. It's amazing to me that ever since I can probably afford anything I want, there is suddenly a whole lot less that I want.

Mar 24, 2008 at 1:02 AM Post #73 of 77
Quote:

[size=xx-small]I've noticed that I can't bring myself to purchase an item unless I'm getting a good deal on it. If I'm trying to decide between two items, if one item has a larger discount than another, it will be a large determining factor. I won't purchase a pair of headphones unless there is at least a small discount from the MSRP, even if I want them really bad
wink.gif
I won't buy Games or DVDs from big box resellers unless I have a coupon or they're on sale. I can't bring myself to buy clothes that aren't marked down if I don't have a coupon. The list goes on
smily_headphones1.gif
[/size]

[size=xx-small]Of course this doesn't include things you can't get a discount on, like commodities, absolute necessities, certain foods at the grocery store, certain audio equipment, etc etc. But do you find yourself generally avoiding a purchase unless it has some sort of discount from the manufacturers suggested retail price?[/size]

In general I have to agree and hate to pay "FULL" price for anything. As a salesman by trade I think I always believe there is a better deal to be had. Must come with the job.

The only Audio Gear I have ever paid "FULL" price strangely enough are the items I still own. There is a certain satisfaction that can be had for a price and sometimes if you wheel and deal too much it can come back to bite you if you have a problem or a warranty issue.

There is something to be said for a product that a manufacture does not discount period.

Items on this List Include:

Beyer Manufacturer DT990 (600) ohms (Lifetime Warranty)
Ray Samuels Raptor
Ray Samuels Hornet

Considering the gear I have gone through over the years its interesting that most of the "Discounted Gear" is now gone and the the "Full Price" stuff has stayed.

Coincidence?

I did buy a Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista DAC on Audiogon but I guess used gear cant be considered the same as discounted.

I have extremely good luck on AG over the years and have yet to not get a great value for the items purchased.

Sometimes you do get what you pay for. But its hard to pass up a good deal or is it? LOL!!

Happy Listening
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 24, 2008 at 4:44 AM Post #74 of 77
I could care less about getting the best deal, as long as I have the best product. I research everything, and I mean just about everything, that I buy. From hygiene products to audio gear, I must know that I am using a reliable and good product and at a good price.

As for MSRP, their are a few cases where I will not pay the full price, and that is for some big ticket items like cars, electronics, etc. In regards to a car, I will NEVER pay MSRP for a car or buy one new for that matter because depreciation nails you from day one horribly. I refuse to lose money on things that I one day plan to resale. If something has a better resale value than another product I will buy it instead, even if it's not the better product. This applies to head-fi. I won't buy headphones that have a hard time selling or has poor resale value.

One thing to think about though is the idea of saving all the time or being frugal or cheap can keep you from some of the best experiences the world has to offer. I am not a believer in saving 30% of my income for retirement because I rather enjoy life in all stages then only when I am 65.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back