Will you buy items at full MSRP?
Mar 16, 2008 at 2:07 AM Post #46 of 77
I won't pay MSRP if I can avoid it.

Mar 16, 2008 at 11:06 AM Post #48 of 77
^ Ditto!
I only pay full MSRP when no other option.

Mar 16, 2008 at 12:32 PM Post #50 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdimitri /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think i've ever paid full MSRP for anything..

The whole concept of MSRP is silly. In reality, most of the products and services people consume don't even have a set MSRP. Willingness to pay "full price," whatever that might be, may be a better way of considering consumer behavior in this thread. And I don't mean to thread crap by saying this, either.

However, much of what people buy is priced such that you can't always shop around. Gasoline prices change constantly, and while you can drive around town looking to save a couple of cents per liter/gallon, it's not as though you can walk into the station and negotiate a better deal. You always pay "full price" for gas. If you buy a house, you of course try to make a wise investment and negotiate a good price, but there is no MSRP. When you go to the grocery store, things cost what they cost unless you go in armed with coupons or want to deal with mail-in rebates (yuck). Where I live, there are no coupons. Sometimes you might find a small discount for something like two packets of coffee for a slightly reduced price, so when this happens, I do indeed buy two, keeping one and taking the other to work.

Some of my recent purchases have included an Apogee Duet, which is always sold at the MSRP of $495 or €499 (in the EU), and there is no way of finding a better price for this item. The price, to me, was reasonable for the utility I would derive from buying it, so I bought it. I also bought a pair of Grados, and as we all know, their pricing is set, with very small (indirectly advertised) discounts available from certain resellers. So, unless I was willing to pay full price, I would not be able to have a new Duet or new Grados. Do I feel foolish for buying these items? No! But the next time I run into the two packets of coffee for €5 deal, I will without a doubt take advantage of it. That is unless, of course, it's not my favorite brand of coffee. I would rather pay "full price" for something I'm going to get more enjoyment out of every morning than save a few cents and drink nasty coffee.

Mar 16, 2008 at 1:13 PM Post #51 of 77
I'm a full price guy. I used to be the opposite, but now the most important component of all transactions is service. I want to feel good about the warranty issues. Something goes wrong the dealer comes to my house and makes it right. Peace of mind. (headphones excepted)

Mar 16, 2008 at 10:18 PM Post #52 of 77
I always hunt down the best deal.

I spend way too much time on Fatwallet though...

Just got a Sansa 250R for $30 shipped!

Mar 17, 2008 at 3:45 AM Post #57 of 77
I am usually forced to buy at the MSRP for foreign imported goods. For anything domestic I always try to hunt around for a bargain before forking out the extra $$$.

Mar 17, 2008 at 8:25 PM Post #58 of 77
I always try and get some sort of discount or extended warranty if paying the MSRP.

Unfortunately no matter what price i pay, it drops a week later after i buy it
eek.gif

Mar 17, 2008 at 10:35 PM Post #59 of 77
If I buy some stuff I need in perfect condition at all times, I will buy on MSRP. Best example : I play badminton and I can't have my stuff breaking all over the place during competitions, so I will buy my raquets at full price (unless the manufacturer or store gives a discount) as well as my shuttles (feather shuttles take some good care and storage to stay good, and a well-care shuttle will last as much as twice as long as a badly stored one).

Second reason : I'm sponsored by the company who sells my raquet, so I can get as many as I want for free
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Mar 17, 2008 at 10:57 PM Post #60 of 77
I bought Smash Bros. Brawl at full price. That's the only example I can think of in the recent past. I pay full MSRP when I think it's necessary, which doesn't come around very often considering the things I buy. However, if the product has a company with better support behind it and guaranteed quality for a higher price (warranty, etc...), I will most likely spend the extra cash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back