Will you buy items at full MSRP?
Mar 8, 2008 at 4:30 PM Post #16 of 77
Maybe. Alot of sales are false sales where merchandize is actually marked up at a higher price and you can end up paying more than normal retail pricing. In other words, a sale isn't necessarily a sale. Just because I think I'm informed does not mean that I am....and I've seen plenty of people fooled. Ebay is a perfect example of a place where merchandize goes for inflated prices to the uninformed or lazy among us. In the past 4 years I've found a total of 6 true deals but lots of pretenders.

So sure, I look for the best possible bargain and spend alot of time and research to do so. But this certainly doesn't apply to low cost items where the time and effort aren't worth the savings...neither per individual item nor annually. I'll happily pay retail for food at the local farmers market to get fresh food grown locally. My first purchase here on head-fi was probably more than I should have spent for the item, but the education I received in the process was worth every penny.

Bottom line, I look for the best value which isn't always the best or lowest price.
wink.gif

Mar 8, 2008 at 5:09 PM Post #17 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aimless1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In other words, a sale isn't necessarily a sale.

Well said. And I liked the rest of your post as well. Chasing bargains has a strong tendency to make people over-consume to the point where they view "spending money" as "saving money." And that's what the advertisers want. In countries like the one in which I live, there virtually aren't any sales, there is no hype about slashing prices, people wisely buy what they need, there is essentially no consumer debt, and local people still own and operate local businesses.

Mar 8, 2008 at 5:59 PM Post #20 of 77
I'm the most impatient person that's ever lived, if I can get it now then I'll pay whatever you ask.

I'm one of those who pay extra for pre 7:30am delivery, just so I don't have to wait a few extra hours for the regular "upto" 6pm next day service...

Also, I'll always try to buy new, only when it's literally impossible (out of production etc) will I even consider buying used!

tongue.gif

EK

Mar 8, 2008 at 6:07 PM Post #21 of 77
Depends on what it is. Somethings you can't get away without MSRP. Somethings you are crazy if you do. It is like that with everything to me.

Mar 8, 2008 at 6:50 PM Post #22 of 77
Like others have said, really depends on what it is.

CDs and DVDs and books- I will try to buy CDs at concerts from the artists first regardless of price, otherwise I always look around carefully online to find the best price. I do not buy new CDs on ebay though, I just don't feel comfortable doing that. Amazon, best buy.com, tower.com, lala.com are my main sources. Most of the stuff I listen to is not available on sites like BMG music.

Food- usually just buy everything at the closest decently priced market. About once every 3-4 weeks I go to Target to buy Grape Nuts since they are incredibly cheaper there

clothes- I end up paying more than I could for clothes. I have been getting into japanese denim and I pay the higher prices at Self Edge and Blue in Green so that I can try stuff on or return instead of ordering directly from Japan to save 50 dollars. I have done both, but prefer going to the physical stores.

Concert tickets- if I have time I go to the venue's box office to save ticketmaster/ticketweb fees. I don't worry too much about saving money here.

That's pretty much all I buy.

Mar 8, 2008 at 7:06 PM Post #23 of 77
It depends. If it's something I need, I'll pay MSRP. Consumables, like TV sets and computers, I stay behind the cutting edge a year or two, buying refurbs and closeouts.

Mar 8, 2008 at 8:58 PM Post #24 of 77
Depends on what it is. $20 difference for an iPod and it's in another mall that's really sleezy.. I wouldn't bother. But if I could get a camera for 200-300 bucks less, yeah.

Mar 8, 2008 at 9:41 PM Post #25 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by evilking /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm the most impatient person that's ever lived, if I can get it now then I'll pay whatever you ask.

I'm one of those who pay extra for pre 7:30am delivery, just so I don't have to wait a few extra hours for the regular "upto" 6pm next day service...

Also, I'll always try to buy new, only when it's literally impossible (out of production etc) will I even consider buying used!

tongue.gif

EK

I'm the exact opposite of what he just said.

Mar 8, 2008 at 9:59 PM Post #26 of 77
90% of my purchases coming after looking for the best price from a reputable sellers. Most likely the thing that I'm paying premium for is food. I loved eating good food regardless how much they cost me as long as I can afford it. For clothing, if I like it so much I won't mind buying msrp since if I wait for a future sale, there's a good chance they won't have my size by that time. Fortunately my clothing shopping day is over, I have plenty good clothing for most occasions. If it's good but I can wait for a sale and don't mind whether I'll get the item or not, I'll wait for the sale.

Mar 8, 2008 at 10:39 PM Post #27 of 77
I did way too many times for electronics and kind of regret it. But I tend to want it right away so I don't think I will change. What I do learn is to do more research on the item before I buy it. also because i had a few bad experience with refurbish item, i rather buy brand new than used item.
two of the worse one was:
8800gtx when it was out, paid $570, now $400.
pc6400 ddr2 ram: $300, now $40 (ouch, i feel rip off by these companies?)

after being recommended zipzoomfly, it seem like newegg isn't really cheap as i thought.

Mar 8, 2008 at 10:59 PM Post #28 of 77
With Internet shopping, membership clubs like BJ's, WalMart.....etc. I'd be surprised that more than 10% of the population of the US paid MSRP. The only way I'd be willing to pay list is if the retailer provided service, Information, like help in making a decision about a purchase I wasn't well informed about, or support after the sale.

Mar 8, 2008 at 11:46 PM Post #29 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by evilking /img/forum/go_quote.gif

tongue.gif

EK

Your post made me feel like going out and shopping. When I get in that manic mood (a symptom of being bipolar) I just buy whatever strikes my fancy. Its like a rush. But most of the time I carfully consider cost alternatives and wait for incredible deals. Someone mentioned newegg, I used to meticulously research and plan different custom computers and make wishlists for each one. I bought two of them, the second one in one of those "manic" moments. Luckily I was able to sell it and pay off the credit card... But I still do make some of the lists, even on some other sites like Amazon, then I buy a couple of the CDs on my wishlist. Usually though, I get the CDs at big box stores, because that is something I really can't stand waiting for. The only time I have bought them online is with gift cards (Target has a great thing where their online music store is through Amazon, so you get great prices and selection, plus you can use those holiday giftcards.)

Mar 8, 2008 at 11:51 PM Post #30 of 77
I'll always look for the best deal. I'm quite patient, so I don't mind waiting a few days trying to find a better price for something.

However, when it's something I really want, but cannot find at all no matter how hard I look, I'd pay anything to get it as soon as I saw it - even if it's way over the retail price. Unfortunately that's the case right now, I can't find an album I really want.
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back