Will the ATH - M50 fit my musical tastes?
Jun 15, 2011 at 9:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

renovatedpig5

New Head-Fier
I listen to allot of metal music, right now I'm listening to allot of progressive metal like Gojira, Strapping Young Lad, Devin Townsend Project, Hacride and music like that. But I also listen to all kinds of metal along with that,  I also love dubstep and listen to a little bit of rap. All of this music has considerable amounts of bass and just wondering if these headphones will be good for them. I read allot of reviews that the ATH - M50's have good bass and I read they have crappy bass, so from someone who preferably has a pair of these can you tell me if they will fit the bill and sound good. I'm up to any mods as long as their isn't allot of soldering to do. Should I get an amp for them and if yes could you recommend one? Because I will be driving them from an ipod touch or classic most of the time and a pos laptop. What mods if any would you recommend if any.

Thanks in advance.

Jun 15, 2011 at 9:24 PM Post #2 of 14
If anything, the M50s can have too much bass. Some people dislike them because they have a warm sound signature and don't have super-crisp treble, but they should be fine for your needs. Also, they're really easy to drive, so you shouldn't need an amp.

Jun 15, 2011 at 9:34 PM Post #3 of 14
ATH-M50's would suit you just fine. Just make sure you really dial in the bass in your EQ.

One thing I wanted to say, if you listen to Progressive Metal, you need to get a pair of Fostex T50RPs. They are excellent with acoustic guitars and Opeth never sounded better through these babies. But be warned, they do need an amp. $75 and get the FiiO e7+e9 combo for under $250

Jun 20, 2011 at 5:04 PM Post #11 of 14
I think the M50s appeal to so many people because of its inherently neutral nature as monitor headphones. That, combined with it's excellent sound is where its ubiquity here on HeadFi comes from.

Lots of people claim it has too little or too much bass but I think that they are mostly either bassheads or classicos who have a clear preference for one or the other.

Jun 20, 2011 at 8:55 PM Post #12 of 14

Quote:
I think the M50s appeal to so many people because of its inherently neutral nature as monitor headphones. That, combined with it's excellent sound is where its ubiquity here on HeadFi comes from.

Lots of people claim it has too little or too much bass but I think that they are mostly either bassheads or classicos who have a clear preference for one or the other.

^ This.

Jun 21, 2011 at 7:37 PM Post #13 of 14
Since the cans have been discussed all around I'm going to throw a bit of a portable amp recommendation for you, I just gave as a birthday present a homemade amp for his m50's and he is in love.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/76236791/18-volt-cmoy-grado-ra1-jrc4556-headphone?ref=sr_list_1&ga_search_submit=&ga_search_query=headphone+amp&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_facet=handmade

It's from a user named 'Ampedup' on Etsy and I was terribly impressed. I think you may like and it's quite a budget piece in addition to being very unique.

Jun 23, 2011 at 5:28 PM Post #14 of 14
Add the Denon AH-D1100 to your list.

It's great with rock and electronic music. I also listen to those genres and I own these headphones.

You will be satisfied with the bass on these. Can't compare to the M50s though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back